CodeGuru Home VC++ / MFC / C++ .NET / C# Visual Basic VB Forums Developer.com

Question Tryn to build a 3d game in C++! Help Plz! Srry if this thread exists?

To start off I am try'n to program a 3d video game in C++; as the title says. I am pretty much lost on where to begin here. I am learning C++ currently and have a general idea on the concept of building a game. I have already done what is the hardest part; which is coming up with the game story line, characters, items and such. But now it comes down to the programming part and I am totally lost on where to start here. I have no idea on how to create 3d animated figures or the 3d environment in which they will be loaded into. I don't have any idea on how to setup databases either. If someone is willing to dig in and help me learn I would be most gratefull! I am a extremely fast learner and what i know to date is self taught. If any one knows any good tutorials on how to build a 3d map or make 3d animated characters I would most appreciate it. I think I prolly should have tried making a 2d game first; but I love a good challenge. I learned Html in about 3weeks by myself with only wikipedia just for an idea of my learning rate... I know how big of a project I am tackling and am determined to build it! So PLZ post away with info to help me along with my project!

Re: Tryn to build a 3d game in C++! Help Plz! Srry if this thread exists?

I am also trying to build a game. I will tell you things you need (I don't think they are quite all):

for grafic designing, 3ds max is a good choice;(maybe some books/ebooks as well)
    for graphic programmning, you can download DirectX SDK from microsoft's page; (maybe some books/ebooks about Direct3D, etc. you will get from somewhere)
    I believe learning some algorithms and data structures (as binary trees, etc.) will aid you in better performance (of the game);
    I was once sent this link
    from which you will find links to many, including this
    also you may get Platform SDK from microsoft as well, to learn DirectShow (which deals much easier with sounds & videos).
    and... mathematics and physics for game programming (books/ebooks).

if someone has something to add, that would be good.

I have already done what is the hardest part; which is coming up with the game story line, characters, items and such.
    Not to burst your bubble, but for most modern 3D games that's actually one of the easier parts of the process. Despite what you say I'm not sure that you do understand exactly how big of a project you're diving into. If you plan to make everything yourself, you're talking about a project that will in all likelihood take you 10 years to complete, if you worked on it like a full time job.

If you want my advice:
    • Continue learning C++ until you have a fairly solid knowledge of the language.
    • Spend some time dabbling in 2D games. Many of the concepts used there can apply fairly directly to 3D games, but you' don't have to worry as much about making 3D models, moving objects in the 3D world, etc.
    • Pick a 3D engine (Ogre, Irrlicht, or etc) and work on learning the engine itself and working with the 3D environment.
    • Once you're familiar with a 3D engine, pick the other main libraries that will drive your game - input, GUI & physics are the main ones depending on the type of game
    • Begin actually working on your game

And if you make it to that point, I would strongly suggest that after doing the initial work yourself (so that you have something to show people and prove that you're for real about making this thing), you try to recruit people to help you with your game, so that there is some hope of completing it within a reasonable timeframe.

Smile Re: Tryn to build a 3d game in C++! Help Plz! Srry if this thread exists?

I have 2 people helping with making the game. This post is mainly for me; so i can better yet understand the full process of game making from scratch. At this point i have 1 programmer that is awesome. My programmer is very busy with working 2 jobs so its hard for him to find time to work with me on understanding exactly what all has to be done. The other guy has some experience with C++ as do i and we have been tackling issues such as marketing ideas, story lines, game interface, things to do in the game to keep it from being boring(like almost 90% of games out there)... Basically development in general. I had a graphics artist willing to work with us but he is currently having trouble with his comp which is a mac book. He is getting a ? folder appearing upon turning it on. So until he gets back online things have slowed down. I also have a concept artist working with us that quite good and helpfull. I am not completely helpless here; but am curious as to how the whole thing will come together. I really do understand what kind of project I am tackling as for the last 3 months i have been watching tutorials on C++, 3d animations, 3d modeling and digging thru game folders examining how they have things setup in there file system. We aim to build a demo that will entail about 10% of the actual game we are currently designing. This should help us along with our project further by getting more ppl interested in helping.

Red face Re: Tryn to build a 3d game in C++! Help Plz! Srry if this thread exists?

Hi CrazyAboutGaming, can you please suggest me some books to learn basic concepts of game programming.

Also any good website providing free sample codes to learn.

Btw I have spent time in dabbling with 2d games with game maker 7. As far as a 3d engine we are flirting with the idea of creating our own. We are not just average school kids tryn to be cool. We all 3 have IQ's above 130 and are more interested in making $ off this(not to mention the amount of fun we are having creating this!!!). We have some extremely revolutionary idea's that would allow this game to compete with anything out there. We have no intentions of building a big flop. My job is basically to over see the project and cover the business end of things as I am no stranger to business... I grew up learning to run a multimillion dollar corp and am beyond fantastic at it. I can promise you that we will be successfull at doing this. I have money to invest as well; in the ball park of 61 million. But my arguement to all who are helping is - why should i fork out money to build a company and hire ppl that will either bail on me or just be plain lazy. So until we have the game out it's all work done in hopes of profit. But when the game is completly finished and ready to market I will toss a handsome amount of money at advertisements and equipment(such as our own servers since we are planning it to be an mmo).

As far as a 3d engine we are flirting with the idea of creating our own.
    Why ? This will add some years to your development while there are enough free options to use.

Quote Originally Posted by LOOSER_007 View Post
    Hi CrazyAboutGaming, can you please suggest me some books to learn basic concepts of game programming.

Also any good website providing free sample codes to learn.
    I would reccomend downloading "game maker" 7 and using the tutorials out there to give you a better concept of how games are made. I would reccomend the "dark gdk" program for free sample coding. It easy to learn and very user freindly!

Quote Originally Posted by Skizmo View Post
    Why ? This will add some years to your development while there are enough free options to use.
    Like I said we are flirting with the idea.... Could possibly be a more down the road project.

Talking Re: Tryn to build a 3d game in C++! Help Plz! Srry if this thread exists?

Quote Originally Posted by CrazyAboutGaming View Post
    I would reccomend downloading "game maker" 7 and using the tutorials out there to give you a better concept of how games are made. I would reccomend the "dark gdk" program for free sample coding. It easy to learn and very user freindly!
    Thanks...

We are not just average school kids tryn to be cool. We all 3 have IQ's above 130 and are more interested in making $ off this
    Hopefully then you will be smart enough to set realistic goals for yourselves, instead of trying to jump in the deep end of the pool before you even know how to tread water.

We have some extremely revolutionary idea's that would allow this game to compete with anything out there. We have no intentions of building a big flop.
    No offense but those of us who dabble in the game development community probably hear this at least once a week. Revolutionary ideas are wonderful, but they aren't going to do any of the work for you.

BTW, trust me, no one ever intends to build a big flop.

I grew up learning to run a multimillion dollar corp and am beyond fantastic at it. I can promise you that we will be successfull at doing this. I have money to invest as well; in the ball park of 61 million.
    See, when you start making claims like this all you're going to do is make people ignore you, because it's pretty obvious when you're just throwing out bull. Because, for example, most people who are fantastic at running multi-million dollar businesses will realize immediately that tackling a project requiring several hundred thousand man-hours of work with 3 people is not very viable.

On the off chance though that you or your parents are in the tiny percentage of the population that can afford to burn 60 million dollars chasign the dream of making a video game... I would suggest you start using that money - you'll need it. It's estimated that the average AAA game title these days costs about 25 million to develop, and MMOs in particular are much more expensive.

Speedo,

Quote Originally Posted by Speedo View Post
    Hopefully then you will be smart enough to set realistic goals for yourselves, instead of trying to jump in the deep end of the pool before you even know how to tread water.
    Man I like your honesty and spunkiness! We have set realistic goals and we don't expect this to happen over night. We are very aware that this takes alot of patience and time.

No offense but those of us who dabble in the game development community probably hear this at least once a week. Revolutionary ideas are wonderful, but they aren't going to do any of the work for you.

BTW, trust me, no one ever intends to build a big flop.
    Yeah I would have to agree that no one ever intends to build a big flop; but the problem with alot of these game developers out there these days is lack of creativity and a lack of research of what makes games fun and enjoyable. I'm sure we could be like every one else and build a mmo game that is new in story and the same old system. The market is dien for a fresh approach to an mmo that embodies some of the traditional game interface; but at the same time has some radical new ways of playing. Prolly the largest down fall to most of the games out there is the lvling systems which is extremely boring and offers no real satisfaction or reward. Which in turn makes the game a huge flop. Games like voyage century are awesome games but become horribly boring really quick. The old fashioned questing system has grown quite lame as well. Yes we all still enjoy them very much but we are all looking for something that will blow our minds and give years of expanding enjoyment. Eve Online is prolly the best new approach I have seen yet in the gaming market; but still doesn't offer the kind of game play us older generations are looking for.

See, when you start making claims like this all you're going to do is make people ignore you, because it's pretty obvious when you're just throwing out bull. Because, for example, most people who are fantastic at running multi-million dollar businesses will realize immediately that tackling a project requiring several hundred thousand man-hours of work with 3 people is not very viable.

On the off chance though that you or your parents are in the tiny percentage of the population that can afford to burn 60 million dollars chasign the dream of making a video game... I would suggest you start using that money - you'll need it. It's estimated that the average AAA game title these days costs about 25 million to develop, and MMOs in particular are much more expensive.
    First off if I was throwing out bull I wouldn't have any one helping me. I have more ppl that are gonna be joining the project soon any way. My cousin is going to be joining the project very soon and has 6 years of college in graphic arts and 3d animation I'm so full of bull... Just because I have that amount of money to invest; doesn't mean I will be investing it all into a video game... But with the economical disaster the usa and rest of the world is in it prolly would be wise to sink it into something before the us dollar gets exchanged out for the Amero. You are already watching it... The banks going broke are giving back $1 on the $100(here is your exchange rate....)! If you watch stocks at all you would know the only market holding steady is the gaming market.... So why wouldn't I want to invest here? Yes I agree games can be expensive to make if your a McDonalds manager (with no experience in building a business) tryn to open and run a video game corperation. I won't fully explain my business on this forum ever; as I could be creating competition for myself.... All that matters to every one involved is that we all have a say in this and that we can all agree on things. Like I said our business venture here is mainly for fun with hopes of profits... If our game ever takes off and makes great sales; I'm sure we woud expand a little bit; but not much; cause you don't go messing with a system that works.... We have stuck together for months now and have alot of fun working together and exploring the possiblities of where we can take this. This is all that really matters to us... Not the time involved or the learning and work load(which is rather enjoyable as well)....
    Last edited by CrazyAboutGaming; March 30th, 2009 at 10:10 AM.