CodeGuru Home VC++ / MFC / C++ .NET / C# Visual Basic VB Forums Developer.com

Improving productivity

What best methods to improve your productivity do you know?

Is there any software designed for improving or maintaining high productivity levels?

I wonder if you`ve heard about these methods designed espacially to increase overall productivity:

- GTD (Getting Things Done)
    - Pomodoro
    - 7 Habits of Highly Effective People

What do you think of them? Would you consider trying if there would be software available designed to help you start using these methods?

Re: Improving productivity

I found this tool that helps to figure out and measure everything you do while you develop.
    It's called Codealike and they say it's "powerful metrics for high performance developers".
    Seems useful as an adition to those traditional methods you suggest (like the Pomodoro), since it puts down to graphics and numbers how much time you actually work, and what are your highest and lowest productivity peaks. I'm starting to use it to see how it works for me, thought you might find it useful as well.
    The only issue is that it only works for Eclipse and VB.

- Free Time
    David

CodeGuru Article: Bound Controls are Evil-VB6
    2013 Samples: MS CODE Samples

CodeGuru Reviewer
    2006 Dell CSP
    2006, 2007 & 2008 MVP Visual Basic
    If your question has been answered satisfactorily, and it has been helpful, then, please, Rate this Post!

John E is offline Elite Member Power Poster

It might sound old fashioned but for me, the secret to productivity lies in the old adage, "early to bed, early to rise". If I were to start work at 9:00am it would probably be 8:00pm by the time I finish.

But if I get up early and start work at 6:30am I'll have my entire day's work finished by noon. The rest of the day's my own. It's not so pleasant in the winter time when the mornings are very cold but it's a great way of working in the summer! After lunch I can spend the afternoon out on my bike or just relax in a café somewhere.

I've no idea why I'm so much more productive in the early mornings but I definitely am - and I tend to make fewer mistakes too. I'd recommend anyone to give it a try. It really does work for me....
    "A problem well stated is a problem half solved.” - Charles F. Kettering

2kaud is online now Super Moderator Power Poster

Some people are morning people and some people are evening people - some people work best first thing in the morning and some work better at night.
    All advice is offered in good faith only. All my code is tested (unless stated explicitly otherwise) with the latest version of Microsoft Visual Studio (using the supported features of the latest standard) and is offered as examples only - not as production quality. I cannot offer advice regarding any other c/c++ compiler/IDE or incompatibilities with VS. You are ultimately responsible for the effects of your programs and the integrity of the machines they run on. Anything I post, code snippets, advice, etc is licensed as Public Domain https://creativecommons.org/publicdomain/zero/1.0/ and can be used without reference or acknowledgement. Also note that I only provide advice and guidance via the forums - and not via private messages!

C++23 Compiler: Microsoft VS2022 (17.6.5)

John E is offline Elite Member Power Poster

By the law of averages alone, I guess that must be right - but you'd be amazed at how many people think they work better at night when in fact, they don't. Musicians are probably the classic example.

When I was in my teens and twenties I used to work in a recording studio. We made a fortune from muso's who'd come in to record (at night). Then - when they heard themselves played back in the cold light of day - realised how god-awful they sounded and had to record the whole session all over again!!

Mind you... I don't suppose all the booze and spliffs helped much!
    "A problem well stated is a problem half solved.” - Charles F. Kettering

Quote Originally Posted by Cezet View Post
    What best methods to improve your productivity do you know?
    Education, experience and a productive environment are the only "methods" that work. For the latter I subscribe to the Agile movement (see the 12 principles).

http://agilemanifesto.org/

At least in its original form before it became almost a religion,

http://www.drdobbs.com/architecture-...gile/240166698
    Last edited by razzle; March 22nd, 2014 at 03:15 AM.