CodeGuru Home VC++ / MFC / C++ .NET / C# Visual Basic VB Forums Developer.com

Exclamation using AT Command to receive and display SMS

hi im developing a c# console application to send and receive sms via nokia 30 gsm modem.

i finished the sending part. my problem now is the receiving part. i use the AT Command "AT+CNMI=1,2,0,0" to receive new messages. however, when a new message arrived, the new message is not shown or displayed in the console.

i tried issuing the same command in Hyperterminal and it works. after issuing a command, i send a message to my gsm modem and the hyperterminal showed or displayed the message i sent.

how can i make my console application work like a hyperterminal? please help me...

thank you so much!
    Last edited by byang; June 30th, 2005 at 07:31 PM.
    _byang®_
    blast_rj03@yahoo.com

Re: using AT Command to receive and display SMS

I 've done a similar project for a nokia telephone which sends sms messages from telephone and receives sms messages which comes to telephone.

I can't remember now how to do it, but I guess your problem is because of it. you should add the event handler which runs, when a message comes to telephone. I can send you the exact solution tonight I think when I look at the project.
    Hasan ÇINAR

hope u could help me with this. i'm doing this part for almost 2 days now and i still don't have any idea how to do it..

please please i really need ur help!
    _byang®_
    blast_rj03@yahoo.com

Andy Tacker is offline More than "Just Another Member"

basically, you will need a separate thread which will send... AT+CMGL=4 command to modem and read the reply... try it...
    If you think you CAN, you can, If you think you CAN'T, you are probably right.

Have some nice Idea to share? Write an Article Online or Email to us and You may WIN a Technical Book from CG.

thanks a lot for that...

i followed what u said.. i created a separate thread for that but i used the "AT+CMGL" command only instead of using "AT+CMGL=4". i tried using the command "AT+CMGL=4", but i keep on getting an ERROR response. that is why i tried the "AT+CMGL" and it works great.

oh well.. thanks andy..
    _byang®_
    blast_rj03@yahoo.com

Andy Tacker is offline More than "Just Another Member"

it depends on which mode of SMS you are using... If you are using PDU format... you got to set AT+CMGF=1... and then AT+CMGL=4, will show you all the messages.
    in other case, AT+CMGL or AT+CMGL=all works just perfect...

That's nice that you got it working...
    If you think you CAN, you can, If you think you CAN'T, you are probably right.

Have some nice Idea to share? Write an Article Online or Email to us and You may WIN a Technical Book from CG.

i have tried issuing the command AT+CMGF = 1 in my console application followed by AT+CMGL="ALL" and its works great! it displayed all messages in my sim .. maybe my modem does not accept a number value that why AT+CMGL=4 does not work...

thanks again andy!
    _byang®_
    blast_rj03@yahoo.com

hello to all.. i read about this tread.. can you post a code for recieving SMS? i also have problems in recieving.. i already have sending but i dont know how to recieve sms... pls help me sir...

im facing the same problem ,would any1 plz send me the code used to receive SMS, thank you

Possibly relevant tutorial: http://www.codeproject.com/KB/cs/SMS.aspx
    Best Regards,

BioPhysEngr
    http://blog.biophysengr.net
    --
    All advice is offered in good faith only. You are ultimately responsible for effects of your programs and the integrity of the machines they run on.

Quote Originally Posted by acinarab View Post
    I 've done a similar project for a nokia telephone which sends sms messages from telephone and receives sms messages which comes to telephone.

I can't remember now how to do it, but I guess your problem is because of it. you should add the event handler which runs, when a message comes to telephone. I can send you the exact solution tonight I think when I look at the project.
    d

can you also teach me how to show receive message using at command . . . .thank you ^_^

can someone help me . . . on how to show receive message using AT command in VB6 . . . here's my email . . . . rcatly@yahoo.com . . . thank you . . .

Well, first, stop writing in VB6; use VB.NET. Second, see my earlier tutorial link (above); it contains information on receiving.
    Best Regards,

BioPhysEngr
    http://blog.biophysengr.net
    --
    All advice is offered in good faith only. You are ultimately responsible for effects of your programs and the integrity of the machines they run on.