CodeGuru Home VC++ / MFC / C++ .NET / C# Visual Basic VB Forums Developer.com

List Control file path

How do I get the path for a seleced item in a list control?

GCDEF is offline Elite Member Power Poster

Re: List Control file path

Items in list controls don't have paths. What are you asking?

Im programming a ftp client and im loading files from my computer into a list control. I want to upload files selected in the list control.

GCDEF is offline Elite Member Power Poster

Your terminology is a bit wonky, which is making it hard to answer your question. You don't upload files into a list control, you upload them to a atorage device. Best guess given what you're asking is to use SetItemData and GetItemData and store the path when you add the file name to the list.

Ok i got a picture in the attachments for understanding..

I put a red box into the list control that gets the files of the server with FTPFINDFIRSTFILE AND FTPFINDNEXTFILE

the blue box list control is the file i want to upload..either single of multiple selections

hopefully this helps
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Arjay is offline Moderator / EX MS MVP Power Poster

Quote Originally Posted by terryeverlast View Post
    Ok i got a picture in the attachments for understanding..

I put a red box into the list control that gets the files of the server with FTPFINDFIRSTFILE AND FTPFINDNEXTFILE

the blue box list control is the file i want to upload..either single of multiple selections

hopefully this helps
    GCDEF understands what you are trying to do, but you aren't understanding his reply. What many folks try to do is stick all the data into a control and then read the data out of the control. Like they may want to populate a list control with different data in multiple columns and then when they need to access the data, they read the data out of the column(s) for the selected item.

While this approach works (kind of) it is very limited because you can only read data that is displayed (not to mention it is awfully slow when dealing with large datasets).

Another approach is to use the approach that GCDEF suggested which uses SetItemData/GetItemData (or SetItemDataPtr). What this does is tie the control item to a pointer of an underlying object in memory. For example, consider a list of items stored in a collection in memory and a list control is populated using the list. You can associate each item in the control to the underlying list item with SetItemDataPtr. When a user selects a list item in the control, the item in the collection can be access by using the GetItemDataPtr. So now you have access to an item's data (without have to display that data in the control).

Hopefully that makes more sense.

If we take this idea one step further, you can set the control up for 'virtual' operation, where the control 'asks' for the data from an underlying collection as the user scrolls up and down on the control. The control only temporarily populates the visible area of the control (plus maybe a bit more). This results in really fast scrolling and a very responsive ui - plus it can handle large data sets.

For a code sample of this virtual list, see the LVSelState.zip example here:
    http://forums.codeguru.com/showthrea...essage()/page2

You'll need to modify your collection to contain a hierarchy for your needs but the general idea is the same.