CodeGuru Home VC++ / MFC / C++ .NET / C# Visual Basic VB Forums Developer.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Combo Box Height

May I know how to adjust the combo box height?
    I can adjust the combo box width and also the dropdown list height but not the combo box height.
    See attachment combobox.jpg/
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Re: Combo Box Height

I found that the function combo box SetItemHeight(); with the index -1 can set the height of combo box. But after setting the height, I found that the font size still remain the same. How can I change the font size in a combo box?
    Regards,
    PH Chang

GCDEF is offline Elite Member Power Poster

Quote Originally Posted by PHChang View Post
    I found that the function combo box SetItemHeight(); with the index -1 can set the height of combo box. But after setting the height, I found that the font size still remain the same. How can I change the font size in a combo box?
    You can change the droplist height in the resource editor. Just click the arrow and size it how you want it.

Use SetFont to change the font.

I am using below way to set the font size for combo box. I believe this is the correct way?
    Let me know if have better.

Code:
            CComboBox cCombo;
    	CFont m_font;
    	LOGFONT lf;
    	lf.lfHeight=30;
    	m_font.CreateFontIndirect(&lf);
    	cCombo.SetFont(&m_font);
    Regards,
    PH Chang

I am using below way to set the font size for combo box. I believe this is the correct way?
    Let me know if have better.

Code:
            CComboBox cCombo;
    	CFont m_font;
    	LOGFONT lf;
    	lf.lfHeight=30;
    	m_font.CreateFontIndirect(&lf);
    	cCombo.SetFont(&m_font);
    You'd want to use Class Wizard to attach a CComboBox object to your dialog's combo box. cCombo is just a random combo box that has nothing to do with your control. Here's an article talking about a CStatic, but it's the same principle with a CComboxBox.

Thanks but where is the article link that you mentioned?

Thanks but where is the article link that you mentioned?
    Sorry.
    http://forums.codeguru.com/showthrea...t-of-a-control

OK thanks.
    By the way, is it possible to set the width of vertical scroll bar of a combo box?
    See attached photo scrollboxwidth.jpg.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

2kaud is online now Super Moderator Power Poster

is it possible to set the width of vertical scroll bar of a combo box?
    Not that I am aware of as the width of a vertical scroll bar is a system-wide defined constant. Use
    Code:
    GetSystemMetrics(SM_CXVSCROLL);
    to obtain the value.

Why do you want to do this? What you can do is change the width of the drop-down list box to be different to the width of the edit box.
    All advice is offered in good faith only. All my code is tested (unless stated explicitly otherwise) with the latest version of Microsoft Visual Studio (using the supported features of the latest standard) and is offered as examples only - not as production quality. I cannot offer advice regarding any other c/c++ compiler/IDE or incompatibilities with VS. You are ultimately responsible for the effects of your programs and the integrity of the machines they run on. Anything I post, code snippets, advice, etc is licensed as Public Domain https://creativecommons.org/publicdomain/zero/1.0/ and can be used without reference or acknowledgement. Also note that I only provide advice and guidance via the forums - and not via private messages!

C++23 Compiler: Microsoft VS2022 (17.6.5)

There are generally two types of controls in Windows: standard controls and custom controls. Custom controls are pretty customizable by design. Combobox is a standard control, so it's not that easy to change its looks. Well, standard means standard, and you know, I think keeping it looking standard (i.e. following OS's UI/UX guidelines) means you respect your end users first of all.
    Best regards,
    Igor

The reason I want to increase the width is because I am using a touch screen monitor so want to create a wider scroll bar so that user easy to click on it.
    Anyway, thanks all for the advise.
    I guess combo box is a standard controls.
    Regards,
    PH Chang

if you want to do this, probably the way to do it would be to create your own custom control that looked like the standard control but with a resizeable scroll bar.
    All advice is offered in good faith only. All my code is tested (unless stated explicitly otherwise) with the latest version of Microsoft Visual Studio (using the supported features of the latest standard) and is offered as examples only - not as production quality. I cannot offer advice regarding any other c/c++ compiler/IDE or incompatibilities with VS. You are ultimately responsible for the effects of your programs and the integrity of the machines they run on. Anything I post, code snippets, advice, etc is licensed as Public Domain https://creativecommons.org/publicdomain/zero/1.0/ and can be used without reference or acknowledgement. Also note that I only provide advice and guidance via the forums - and not via private messages!

Ignore.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast