Re: running a GUI program in the background

yes it built successfully

the GUI program i am trying to run is a visual basic program

VictorN is offline Super Moderator Power Poster

Quote Originally Posted by beginner91 View Post
    the GUI program i am trying to run is a visual basic program
    Well, you already mentioned it... two or three times!
    And how could it matter?

Did you test the Igor's sample?
    Victor Nijegorodov

Did you test the Igor's sample?
    yes and i got this error:
    [SC] StartService FAILED 2:
    The system cannot find the file specified.

VictorN is offline Super Moderator Power Poster

It only means you set a wrong path/name! Fix it!
    Victor Nijegorodov

the only line that has a path in it is this:
    Code:
    CString path = GetExeFolderName() + TEXT("C:\\testService\\Debug\\testService.exe");
    and that is the correct path to the exe file so i don't know where the problem is

2kaud is offline Super Moderator Power Poster

Quote Originally Posted by beginner91 View Post
    the only line that has a path in it is this:
    Code:
    CString path = GetExeFolderName() + TEXT("C:\\testService\\Debug\\testService.exe");
    and that is the correct path to the exe file so i don't know where the problem is
    What do you expect path to contain after this statement? Have you examined its contents?
    All advice is offered in good faith only. All my code is tested (unless stated explicitly otherwise) with the latest version of Microsoft Visual Studio (using the supported features of the latest standard) and is offered as examples only - not as production quality. I cannot offer advice regarding any other c/c++ compiler/IDE or incompatibilities with VS. You are ultimately responsible for the effects of your programs and the integrity of the machines they run on. Anything I post, code snippets, advice, etc is licensed as Public Domain https://creativecommons.org/publicdomain/zero/1.0/ and can be used without reference or acknowledgement. Also note that I only provide advice and guidance via the forums - and not via private messages!

C++23 Compiler: Microsoft VS2022 (17.6.5)

What do you expect path to contain after this statement? Have you examined its contents?
    contents of what? i don't understand

The contents of path. Have you looked at it in the debuuger or shown it on screen to be sure it's what you are expecting as you are concatenating the result of GetExeFolderName() with the TEXT string? As the TEXT string contains both a drive letter and folder names I'm not sure what you are trying to achieve by concatenating this TEXT string with the result of GetExeFolderName().
    All advice is offered in good faith only. All my code is tested (unless stated explicitly otherwise) with the latest version of Microsoft Visual Studio (using the supported features of the latest standard) and is offered as examples only - not as production quality. I cannot offer advice regarding any other c/c++ compiler/IDE or incompatibilities with VS. You are ultimately responsible for the effects of your programs and the integrity of the machines they run on. Anything I post, code snippets, advice, etc is licensed as Public Domain https://creativecommons.org/publicdomain/zero/1.0/ and can be used without reference or acknowledgement. Also note that I only provide advice and guidance via the forums - and not via private messages!

ok so i entered the wrong path name?
    if GetExeFolderName() gets the folder, then the path should just be testService.exe?

Have you checked what GetExeFolderName is actually returning? As you are hardcoding the full path to your testservice.exe, you probably don't need GetExeFolderName at all at the moment whilst you are testing.

this is the code for GetExeFolderName
    Code:
    CString GetExeFolderName()
    {
    	TCHAR path[MAX_PATH] = {0};
    	GetModuleFileName(GetModuleHandle(NULL), path, MAX_PATH);
    	LPTSTR p = _tcsrchr(path, _T('\\'));
    	if (p)
    	{
    		*p = TEXT('\0');
    		return path;
    	}
    	return (LPCTSTR)NULL;
    }
    so if i don't need that should i just call the path like this:
    CString path = TEXT("C:\\testService\\Debug\\testService.exe");

so if i don't need that should i just call the path like this:
    CString path = TEXT("C:\\testService\\Debug\\testService.exe");
    Yes. What debugging of the program have you done - as this should have been picked up by using the debugger.

can't debug a service program and i can't test the service because of this error
    the service installed fine but it won't start

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast