CodeGuru Home VC++ / MFC / C++ .NET / C# Visual Basic VB Forums Developer.com
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Re: VB6.0 will live until Windows 7!

Help not working? News to me, (and not true on Ultimate x64).

Wouldn't do much without the examples...
    David

CodeGuru Article: Bound Controls are Evil-VB6
    2013 Samples: MS CODE Samples

CodeGuru Reviewer
    2006 Dell CSP
    2006, 2007 & 2008 MVP Visual Basic
    If your question has been answered satisfactorily, and it has been helpful, then, please, Rate this Post!

Quote Originally Posted by dglienna View Post
    Help not working? News to me, (and not true on Ultimate x64).

Wouldn't do much without the examples...
    Its simple the same as with the VB6.0 IDE I tried to install MSDN and it refuses to get installed. Could that all be a problem because I already have VS 2005 on my machine ?
    Jonny Poet

To be Alive is depending on the willingsness to help others and also to permit others to help you. So lets be alive. !
    Using Code Tags makes the difference: Code is easier to read, so its easier to help. Do it like this: [CODE] Put Your Code here [/code]
    If anyone felt he has got help, show it in rating the post.
    Also dont forget to set a post which is fully answered to 'resolved'. For more details look to FAQ's about Forum Usage. BTW I'm using Framework 3.5 and you ?
    My latest articles :
    Creating a Dockable Panel-Controlmanager Using C#, Part 1 | Part 2 | Part 3 | Part 4 | Part 5 | Part 6 | Part 7

I'm pretty sure that I installed VS2008 (as I had an active project that I needed the laptop upgraded to work on)

A week or two later, I got around to loading up the backups, and installing.

Did you install as ADMIN?
    David

CodeGuru Reviewer
    2006 Dell CSP
    If your question has been answered satisfactorily, and it has been helpful, then, please, Rate this Post!

I'm pretty sure that I installed VS2008 (as I had an active project that I needed the laptop upgraded to work on)

A week or two later, I got around to loading up the backups, and installing.

Did you install as ADMIN?
    Yes I switched off any virus scanner, frewall and always tried to install as an admin. In the end I also disabled the whole vista security checking, (dont know the english name ) It installed ( without any service pack but when I try to start, in the moment just after the splash appears, an emessagebox comes up ' Unexpected error at... >some adress<'
    Then I tried to install VS SP6 it fails just after asking if I agree the term of conditions and also said 'An unexpected error occured' and end the process to install it. I tried to download first and then installing .. same result this way I'm really about Vista. I disrecommand it to everybody who askes me.
    BTW I have only a simple 32 bit machine and its Vista Home (Sonys -special edition for Vaio systems <grrr>
    Jonny Poet

To be Alive is depending on the willingsness to help others and also to permit others to help you. So lets be alive. !
    Using Code Tags makes the difference: Code is easier to read, so its easier to help. Do it like this: [CODE] Put Your Code here [/code]
    Also dont forget to set a post which is fully answered to 'resolved'. For more details look to FAQ's about Forum Usage. BTW I'm using Framework 3.5 and you ?
    My latest articles :
    Creating a Dockable Panel-Controlmanager Using C#, Part 1 | Part 2 | Part 3 | Part 4 | Part 5 | Part 6 | Part 7

Vista needs MEMORY. I have 4gb on this machine.

How much is in the VAIO? How much CAN you put in? (Some Home Basic machines could only HOLD 2gb of RAM, for some reason)
    David

CodeGuru Reviewer
    2006 Dell CSP

The few Sony systems I've seen have had proprietary hardware/drivers, and it was a mess getting things to work even half-way normal. Some stuff just wouldn't work as on other machines, so it wouldn't surprise me if it boiled down to that.
    Please remember to rate the posts and threads that you find useful.
    How can something be both new and improved at the same time?

Quote Originally Posted by WizBang View Post
    The few Sony systems I've seen have had proprietary hardware/drivers, and it was a mess getting things to work even half-way normal. Some stuff just wouldn't work as on other machines, so it wouldn't surprise me if it boiled down to that.
    Yea. Totally my opinion. IMHO it totally boils down to SONY as I just have seen in their Web pages they didn't say its really Vista they say its a 'legal Vista' System. So as they have written to me regarding virtual machine. Its simple not possible to use the processor built in features because of their drivers, so I cannot get it running in a normal mode.

Maybe this is the same here with VB6.0
    Jonny Poet

My latest articles :

This gives me the willies - on the other hand I might gather some hope, that all these are hardware-related problems.
    My choice would be the Vista Professional x64, then.
    Maybe I should give it a try...

Vista needs MEMORY. I have 4gb on this machine.

How much is in the VAIO? How much CAN you put in? (Some Home Basic machines could only HOLD 2gb of RAM, for some reason)
    I guess you missed this one...
    David

CodeGuru Reviewer
    2006 Dell CSP

I guess you missed this one...
    The vaio is 2GB only and as much as I have heard nothing to pin in but instead of that in the opposit just as Wiz said lots of special sony drivers installed. And the badest thing is: Even if I would buy my own Vists professional they cannot grant me that the machine will work with it. As they dont deliver thier special drivers for example in a separate package, so you only can use it 'as it is' a damned machine
    Jonny Poet

My latest articles :

I bought my ASUS and it came with Vista Home Premium. It lasted 3 days. I formatted and installed my MSDN Ultimate x64. Then it dawned on me that I didn't check the driver situation before hand.

I got online, but it didn't detect any hardware.

They gave me a driver DVD that had all their programs on it as well as drivers.

I installed the drivers, and some of the toys. The Windows Rating went from 3.8 with Home Premium to 5.0 with Ultimate. Just installed SP1, but didn't do SP2 yet. I have it on the W2k8 Server though. x64 there is causing problems with my SCSI Card
    David

CodeGuru Reviewer
    2006 Dell CSP

I bought my ASUS and it came with Vista Home Premium. It lasted 3 days. I formatted and installed my MSDN Ultimate x64. Then it dawned on me that I didn't check the driver situation before hand.

I got online, but it didn't detect any hardware.

They gave me a driver DVD that had all their programs on it as well as drivers.

I installed the drivers, and some of the toys. The Windows Rating went from 3.8 with Home Premium to 5.0 with Ultimate. Just installed SP1, but didn't do SP2 yet. I have it on the W2k8 Server though. x64 there is causing problems with my SCSI Card
    And the really bad thing is that Sony refused to give me any driver CD or DVD. SO I'm not sure what happens when I'm buying Vista professional and installing it. Maybe then I'll have lots of troubles with missing drivers. So I'm hanging around with this nice looking high tech scrap. If you want to see it look at Sony.com and search for VGC LT1M which is the offficial name of the device. You can find it using the search box there. But maybe the supermarket here simple offers the wrong device and maybe there are other devices which would have all the possibilities that I need this one is more or less only for playing around games. music, TV and typing some email. Nothing for business.
    Jonny Poet

My latest articles :

Need the EXACT model number. Here on SONY's site, I was looking.

VGC LT13E - VGC LT19U

are in the listbox

EDIT: Here it is. On this page, you can have it 'detect' the system. It should have a page that lists all options for each OS available. IBM is really great about that. They have an automatic installer that downloads drivers and restarts until it's done! (need usb network device)

http://esupport.sony.com/US/perl/sel...ME&PRODTYPE=24
    Last edited by dglienna; March 15th, 2009 at 09:05 AM.
    David

CodeGuru Reviewer
    2006 Dell CSP

Need the EXACT model number. Here on SONY's site, I was looking.

VGC LT13E - VGC LT19U

are in the listbox

EDIT: Here it is. On this page, you can have it 'detect' the system. It should have a page that lists all options for each OS available. IBM is really great about that. They have an automatic installer that downloads drivers and restarts until it's done! (need usb network device)

http://esupport.sony.com/US/perl/sel...ME&PRODTYPE=24
    I already did this. But the number which is on my invoice is not listed in their combobox. Even this program is not able to detect what it exactly is. It gives me a list as result and I should choose maually what it is. But on the machine there is no one of this numbers there is VGC LT1M Maybe I need to open it to get more data. Maybe there is a type specification inside the machine, as the program itself obviously cannot specify what it is.

Hey don' wonder - Its a Sony
    -----
    edited---
    Just looked inside Here I find: Model PCG 281 M and when I manually insert this on your page I get the same answer as before different types are requested could be this or that.. but no exact answer. There are about ten different types of this vaio listed here and no answer what it really is inside.

Ah one interesting note: 'Made in China' Phatastic - I like it.
    Last edited by JonnyPoet; March 15th, 2009 at 01:53 PM.
    Jonny Poet

My latest articles :

Look at the sticker on the bottom of the computer. It will give serial # and model #
    David

CodeGuru Reviewer
    2006 Dell CSP

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast