CodeGuru Home VC++ / MFC / C++ .NET / C# Visual Basic VB Forums Developer.com

Talking VPN Tunneling Service

So after playing with different cloud servers like Amazon EC2 to help me upload large files to online storage faster I came across the idea of VPN tunneling. Allowing you to use one internet connection to connect to another network like a business.

Now I may be completely wrong about what VPN tunneling is exactly so correct me if I'm wrong, but wouldn't it be possible for a business to set up something that allows people to pay so much a month to connect to servers on gigabit networks and use those networks as internet?

This isn't much different that what dedicated and cloud servers already are but just something for the internet only, a simple speed boost....actually wouldn't it be possible to do this just in Windows? To add speed on top of what you already have?

...I live in Germany with only one choice for ISP.

Re: VPN Tunneling Service

Quote Originally Posted by thorax232 View Post
    Now I may be completely wrong about what VPN tunneling is exactly so correct me if I'm wrong, but wouldn't it be possible for a business to set up something that allows people to pay so much a month to connect to servers on gigabit networks and use those networks as internet?

This isn't much different that what dedicated and cloud servers already are but just something for the internet only, a simple speed boost....actually wouldn't it be possible to do this just in Windows? To add speed on top of what you already have?
    You will get a speed boost, but this boost will not count for your connection. If the VPN-Server has a gigabit connection the Server can download that fast. But you will still have the same connection your provider provides...

This means if you need to download a big file, the download will be fast on the server, but the amount of time you need to download the file from there does not change. This means you have no win in speed, except you have physical access to the server.

Nice try anyway *g*

=/ I know that Darakthor, I'm talking about using over the cloud..using that server as your normal computer. Kind of like Amazon EC2 but based on monthly fees instead of $0.12 an hour.

Quote Originally Posted by thorax232 View Post
    ..using that server as your normal computer. Kind of like Amazon EC2 but based on monthly fees instead of $0.12 an hour.
    I don't know Amazon EC2. But a VPN-Connection is a secure tunnel into a local network. It is used, if you want to use local resources without a local connection. For example you are working in a company which has local printers, an e-mail server and some other stuff. They may not want to bring all this stuff online in the internet, because this will not be safe. The solution is a VPN-Server.
    You can connect on this server with a secure connection.
    The VPN-Connection will get an virtual interface with a local IP, this connection acts like you are in the LAN of your company. In reality you can be in Australia or Iraq miles away from your company. This is what VPN is used for.

If you want to have a remote connection to a server you will need something like telnet / ssh / Remote Desktop. This would be possible, but you will still need a fast internet connection (in case of graphic UI).
    I would pay for such a service, if i could completely throw away my local machine. But i would still need a keyboard, a monitor, some usb ports (flash storage, etc.) and maybe a dvd drive. And i will surely need a fast internet connection, as the monitor needs to be refreshed at a rate between 60-100 Hz (if i want to watch a movie or play games) and i will need a sound signal, too.

As i understand, you want to use the CPU and the fast internet connection of the server instead of your local computer. Your goal is not a fast server, but a fast working station.

Depending on the size of your monitor you will definitely need a very fast internet connection.

Thumbs down Re: VPN Tunneling Service

....nvm, thanks for trying to understand anyways. If you are curious about what I'm talking about though you can check out Amazon EC2. =/ lol, anyways, it looks like no one thinks about these kinds of things.