CodeGuru Home VC++ / MFC / C++ .NET / C# Visual Basic VB Forums Developer.com

String Encryption

Does anybody know of any good forums to post something like this, or even better, can someone here do it?:

<¼ÑÃŒ„ÐÝÓÔNp~ÑÆÍØ…“ØÓᄁŎ…ӮʶŒ”*fµ××ÒÙ®½ÔÏ××Ý⹨áãáÜÊÕ͑ҝ—äÝÜÑd¥Ý¤emjigbU–“”çÍ…ˆè×ÕÏÈÍ¢N”¼ÉµÙ‹Žèäî*Տ’™ëäçá”݉ғ›>

The above mess is an encrypted string that is 120 characters in length. The string does not include the < and > characters. Those are merely there to indicate the start and end of the string.
    It was generated by a program that I am in the process of writing to store data securely. Can anyone decrypt this?
    The only information that I will provide is that the string started out as 120 characters long, and ended up as the above.
    Instructions on what to do when you decrypt the string can be found if you read it!
    Finite

"If a cat always lands on its feet, and a peice of bread always lands butter side down, if you strap a peice of bread butter side up to the back of a cat, will it hover?"

looks very nice...

did you try to display the asccii values of the string?
    mfg Ungi

Music, music and VB. VB is like music: You never know how it is interpreted.

Question ?

Sorry, I dont understand. Do you mean this string or the original message?
    What are you implying by it anyhow?
    Finite

"If a cat always lands on its feet, and a peice of bread always lands butter side down, if you strap a peice of bread butter side up to the back of a cat, will it hover?"

i mean that you could try to get something out by looking at the ascii values of the characters.

for example: the character '1' eq. the ascii value of 49
    mfg Ungi

Yes thats true you could, and that could have been the way it was done, but you could be barking up the wrong tree all together. The whole idea is for someone to see if they can break it. Anyone, I don't mind if they do, I just want to see how easy/hard it is to do. And i assure you its not something like 128bit Military encryption or something like that, its completely my idea. Any idea on a forum I could submit it to, like a hackers forum or something?
    Finite

Lightbulb [shame]

oh sorry, i absolutely missunderstood you.

i thought you wanted to encrypt this string. i read a little bit too fast i think...

but sorry i dont know a real hacker forum, but you could try

www.codeproject.com
    www.devguru.com
    www.programmers.heaven.com
    www.vbcodelibary.co.uk
    mfg Ungi

Lol. Np mate, thanx for the links
    Finite

hmm well you could join the HH groups...kinda crappy though, but www.happyhacker.com maybe .org not sure..haven't been back in a while
    another good place would be to post it to the 2600 magazine...if you subscribe to the mag you can post anything for free and it's a great magazine. Very informative! And another place you may post and check is http://www.sotmesc.org/gcms/progbb/bbindex.html

ok now what i want is for you to post the original string so that i can see if i might find any patterns...Doubtful but possible And did you use a key, a salt type of encryption where you say enter the key and then using the key you decrypt it?

let me know thanks!

- nc
    "In a world without walls and barriers, what need is there for windows and gates!" - a mac ad
    "What was the best thing before sliced bread and when did sliced bread go out of existence?" - me
    "Software is like sex, it's better when it's free." - Linus Torvalds <- gotten from Andreas Masur

Live Penguine! - Tux the linux mascot
    Vivez le penguine!, ¡Viva en penguine!, Lang lebe der Pinguin!, Viva no penguine!, Viva sul penguine!

Booogt, why oh why did I know I wouldnt have long before you popuped up somewhere in this post.
    Firstly, ta for the links, ill look into them.
    Secondly. There is no key, nothing, not even hard coded into the code. It just takes a given string, manipulates it ans spits it out the other end as the garbage you see. All you need to decode it is the string itself.
    Here is an example string, 36 characters long, the original and encrypted versions, both encapsulated by < and >.

<¼Ñ½“‰Ü“Ô“܉ÝÜÙ……ÊÑÕ*éä*ØÝהم碡xyA>

<This is a simple encryption test. X!>

Good luck. Hope you dont find anything!
    Finite

hmmm i'm begining to see a pattern of some sort...post another example because i want to test it out and see if my idea is working...i will not reveal what i'm working on unless it works though

muahahahaha

- nc
    "In a world without walls and barriers, what need is there for windows and gates!" - a mac ad
    "What was the best thing before sliced bread and when did sliced bread go out of existence?" - me
    "Software is like sex, it's better when it's free." - Linus Torvalds <- gotten from Andreas Masur

Vivez le penguine!, ¡Viva en penguine!, Lang lebe der Pinguin!, Viva no penguine!, Viva sul penguine!

Just found it FineInfinity, want me to post it at the thread???

JeffB

Angry **** YOU

post it i want to see if i was right
    thanks

- nc

Sorry FineInfinity, I have just discovered your 120 characters secret message, and I all show how it works in here, sorry again, should have waited... damm

[Messages deleted, in case...]

JeffB
    Last edited by JeffB; August 8th, 2002 at 02:37 PM.

Sorry Jeff, I was out for the night so didnt get a chance to monitor the thread. Post it if you want, and Id kinda like to know how you got it!
    Im not dissapointed, im quite glad!
    Finite