CodeGuru Home VC++ / MFC / C++ .NET / C# Visual Basic VB Forums Developer.com

What is a bootstrap file?

All,
    Can some one please explain to me what is a bootstrap file?
    I have seen this listed among the files copied by a setup.exe program during installation of an app.

How does this file relate to packaging of an application?

Thanks
    Viji

I am not sure but this may be:
    Bootstrap file is the file which is get loaded in memory as soon as the program in bios finishes its operations. This bootstrap file makes a link for OS to execute. Similarly Boostrap may be used to link your app and OS.
    Regards,
    Thoppae

Thanks for your reply. I guess it has something to do with satem level resources.

Viji

What is a bootstrap file? menu file?A bootstrap file is a small file that is transferred to the client by a PXE boot ROM using TFTP. This bootstrap then performs a specific task on the client, which usually involves transferring another larger boot file. A menu file is a boot strap file which allows you to define a menu of boot images from which a user can select the image they wish to use. In the PXE protocol definition, this first small bootstrap is often referred to as "Remote.0" and the next boot file as "Remote.1".

www.3com.com/other/pdfs/legacy/en_US/da_bootsrvc_faq.pdf+%22What+is+a+bootstrap+file%22&hl=en&ie=UTF-8]More Information[/URL]