CodeGuru Home VC++ / MFC / C++ .NET / C# Visual Basic VB Forums Developer.com

Thread: CFileDialog?

CFileDialog?

i'm not quite sure if this is the right MFC to use...but what i'm trying to do is take a user prompt like CFileDialog that allows the user to open or save files, except that rather than to view the local directories, i want it to be able to view/choose online documents. is there a way to use this to implement such a function? if so, how? if not, is there any other way? thanks in advance..

what do you want to say with "online"?

sorry, i guess i should've been more specific...when i say online, i mean like web folders. http, or possibly ftp.

would posting what i have so far help perhaps?

CFileDialog dlg (TRUE, "", NULL,
    OFN_FILEMUSTEXIST| OFN_HIDEREADONLY, _T("JPEG (*.jpg)|*.jpg|GIF (*.gif)|*.gif|All Files (*.*)|*.*|"), NULL);
    dlg.m_ofn.lpstrInitialDir = "c:\\Program Files";
    dlg.DoModal();

this only gets me into the local program files directory. please help. at this point i'll take any ideas or hunches.

Well I know you can open connections across LAN's, for instance I can open the file dialog onto our server using this line of code:

dlg.m_ofn.lpstrInitialDir = "\\\\Server\\Program Files";

So if you could setup a directory on your LAN to be mapped to an ftp directory or something you could probably get it working.

Update:
    Interesting, I just setup a directory on my computer for an ftp account I have on the internet... it worked fine but I couldn't seem to map a network drive (like Z: or something) to it for some reason... explorer wouldn't allow it.
    Last edited by bluesource; September 4th, 2002 at 08:21 AM.

CFileDialog can get you to navigate online. It is only meant to navigate through you local and network drives, and will not take anything like "http://" as a drive.

It allows you to select htlm files if you want, but if you want to open and display thenproperly, it is not with CFileDialog that you can do it.

I don't know how you can include a browswer in your application as I have never done that so far.
    Elrond
    A chess genius is a human being who focuses vast, little-understood mental gifts and labors on an ultimately trivial human enterprise.
    -- George Steiner

Do you know if the file chosen in the CFileDialog is tagged in a certain way? that might explain why it is considered as 'in use' afterwards...

Marina
    Please go vote for your country!

thanks all for the input...i'll see what i can do with it.