CodeGuru Home VC++ / MFC / C++ .NET / C# Visual Basic VB Forums Developer.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Running VB6 on Windows XP

Does anyone know whether or not VB 6 can be run under Windows XP home edition or professional edition. I am having trouble installing it on a new computer running XP home. I have been running it under 98, but that machine is ready for overhaul.
    THANKS RSH

VB 6 runs just fine on XP Home edition. Make sure you install Service pack 5 however. It fixes a bunch on bugs NOT related to XP directly

John:
    Where do I get my hands on service pack 5? My problem is that it stumbles on installation, and gives me the message that installation was unsuccesful. Coming from you I would take your reply as gospel.
    RSH

I have stopped using SP5 as it makes the compiled binaries unstable..Only experienced it on one application, but it runs as a dream when compiled on a system without SP5 :\

Thanks SiksVe:
    I found the service Packs at MSoft but since there at least a half dozen of them and I am not sure which one would apply to my problem I have not downloaded any of them. I'm not sure that at this point if this is a problem which could be cured by a service pack. VB will not install from my CD to XP. I may have to call M-Soft.
    RSH

I had no problem installing it under XP Pro. I did Windows Update prior to it though, I don't know if that makes a difference.
    |-Chix4mat
    |"Before you say it, yeah, I am permenantly a n00b"
    |If I forget to mention it, I am using Visual C++ 6 or Visual Basic 6

Just wondering what was the error that you received during installation.

-Cool Bizs

CoolBiz:
    I'll try the installation again and make note of the errors, and get back to the forum with the data later. It might even be Monday. The disc is probably a little over a year old. I doubt that there was an XP at that time. The drive seems to be working so I doubt that there is a mechanical problem.

RSH

As promised, another attempt at installation was made and this time was successful. The only problem now is that I cannot run the program via a desktop ICON. I can run the program by having the VB folder on the desktop, but that is a two step process. I then have to click on the VB ICON in that folder. The VB Icon seems to have to remain in the VB folder with the rest of its assosciated buddy files. With 98 I could bring the VB ICON to the desktop and access from there.
    Any comments appreciated.

RSH

ok...first i have had no issues installing VS 6.0 or .Net on my XP Pro machine...i have written programms in most of the languages as well including C#, VC++ and VB...acually i think those are the only ones...but i haven't had any problems....

second try making a shortcut on the desktop to the icon in the VB folder...make sure you do that because if you just pull the real VB icon out of the folder and try to run the app. then you are removing it from "buddy" files or dll files that the main EXE program requires to run...try that

hope it helps

- nc
    "In a world without walls and barriers, what need is there for windows and gates!" - a mac ad
    "What was the best thing before sliced bread and when did sliced bread go out of existence?" - me
    "Software is like sex, it's better when it's free." - Linus Torvalds <- gotten from Andreas Masur

Live Penguine! - Tux the linux mascot
    Vivez le penguine!, ¡Viva en penguine!, Lang lebe der Pinguin!, Viva no penguine!, Viva sul penguine!

YOu can download Service pack 5 from http://msdn.microsoft.com/vstudio/do...ldoverview.asp
    all 58 MB of it for VB.

The shortcut is probably busted. Just create a new one and point it to VB6.EXE.

-Cool Bizs

Smile

Boogt:
    OK, wer'e getting somewhere now. The created shortcut works fine even though it is labeled a shortcut. Now there is just one more little item. I can write new programs under VB fine. Everything works, but now I want to bring some of my old VBP programs from the 98 machine to the new XP machine. I dump them on a floppy and put them in the 98 folder on the new machine and get hollered at because I need a sub main. I realize this is simple for some of you high powered gurus but not for me.

Also thanks to John for the URL. Ive been there, but being dialup
    I was chopped in the middle of the download. Its too massive to handle. I may just send for the CD.
    RSH

ok this issue should be able to be taken care of fairly painlessly...
    1 do you have a module that has a sub main or had one?
    2 if not then open the project and in the project box where you can click on your files...right click on the project click on Project Properties...then from there you will get a box
    3 in the drop down menu under startup pick the form you want to start from...

that should do it click ok and you are on your way...just make sure things can happen on your form...and that you aren't trying to run it without a startup module if there was one...

hope it helps

- nc
    "In a world without walls and barriers, what need is there for windows and gates!" - a mac ad
    "What was the best thing before sliced bread and when did sliced bread go out of existence?" - me
    "Software is like sex, it's better when it's free." - Linus Torvalds <- gotten from Andreas Masur

Live Penguine! - Tux the linux mascot
    Vivez le penguine!, ¡Viva en penguine!, Lang lebe der Pinguin!, Viva no penguine!, Viva sul penguine!

Booogt:
    Not quite that easy.
    I get the box you refer to but under startup the only thing listed is "Sub Main"
    I have copied four files assosciated with the project onto my floppy and transferred them over to the XP machine in the VB folder. (vbp--frm--vbw & frx). I still get "Need startup or sub main" when I try to run the program.
    On this particular program the exe file runs but has a few bugs. This may be cureable with the downloadable patch. It ran perfectly on the 98 machine.
    Thanks for your effort. RSH

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast