CodeGuru Home VC++ / MFC / C++ .NET / C# Visual Basic VB Forums Developer.com
Page 3 of 92 FirstFirst 1234561353 ... LastLast

Thumbs up

Yes, I think you're right!

Anyway, this is not the solution I knew. Mine was: "If I ask the other guardian which door takes me to freedom, which one will he say to me?". And then you have to choose not the door he tells you but the other one.

Ok, SeventhStar, is your turn again.

This was a hard-one... I thought for 5 or more minutes... And my internet is slow so... i was shivvering that someone would answer it before my post arrives... But I answedred it first so just confirm it, Ana, and i'll ask my question.
    It's only when you look at an ant through a magnifying glass on a sunny day that you realise how often they burst into flames

I have already confirmed your solution is right!

Anyway, once again, SEVENTHSTAR'S SOLUTION IS RIGHT.

It's your turn now.

Ooops! Didnt see that post commin...
    So Rank:
    1. Saturno, Simon, Gabriel and me - 1pt
    2. all the others...

My question:
    Suppose you have an axe that can cut metal wit blade 20cm long. You also have a horseshue that can fit in a 10x10cm square. How will you cut the horseshue so you can have 6(six) pieces of metal in the end with 2(two) cuts.

for answers send pictures.

note: you canNOT move the pieces between cutting.
    It's only when you look at an ant through a magnifying glass on a sunny day that you realise how often they burst into flames

I'm stupid

Oops! Sorry Simon!
    Corrected rank:
    1. (leader and ruler of the universe) Simon666 - 2pts
    2. Saturno, Gabriel and me - 1pt
    3. Rest of the gang - 0pt

Lightbulb

Is my question so hard?
    Do you need a hint

Talking no hints for you

I'm sorry but I gotta be going now... If some one can prove the correctness of his answer then I shall consider it right. and he/she should ask next.
    Please could somebody watch the rankings

My question HAS a correct answer (not "there's no way")
    If you all* give up I recieve a point Only then will I tell you the correct answer.

So good bye now see ya tomorrow!

*maybe we should make some rules about this thread Like
    if 5 people say "I give up on this question!" then it's considered stopped and the asker receives a point

There is this far-west saloon, placed in a wooden building. There is a piano, a bar with a lot of bottles, many ropund, three legged tables surrounded by four stools each. Red courtins are hanging at the window blocking the sunlight and making the room rather dark. A staircase leads to a balcony at the first floor.

Three dudes are sitting at a table playing poker and drinking. Suddenly, someone comes in, shoots the bar keeper and runs out. After a short time, the sheriff comes and wants to find out who shot the bartender. He asks all three dudes if they saw the gunman. Here their answers:

Dude 1: No, because I was trying to get some more dollars out of my boot, and, being bent under the table, I couldn't see anything.

Dude 2: No, because my hat fell down and I was just picking it up, and, being bent under the table, I couldn't see anything.

Dude 3: No, because of the table that was moving all the time. I wanted to put a beer-cap under one of the legs, and, being bent under the table, I couldn't see anything.

Question: which of the dudes lies (and why)?
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Gabriel, CodeGuru moderator

Forever trusting who we are
    And nothing else matters
    - Metallica

Learn about the advantages of std::vector.

I would say that beer-caps didn't exist in the time of far west, so dude 3 is lying. I'm not sure about this, but I will try.

Originally posted by saturno7
    I would say that beer-caps didn't exist in the time of far west, so dude 3 is lying. I'm not sure about this, but I will try.
    I would also say dude 3 is lying, for different reasons though. If one of them is lying, and suppose it would be dude 1 or dude 2, then the table would not be moving all the time so dude 3 would also be lying. So the most suspected person for me is dude 3. At least, that is my reasoning. Maybe there is another solution using the fact that there are 4 stools at a three legged table, but I don't know if this item is to be of any importance in this riddle.
    ۞۞۞۞۞۞۞۞۞۞۞۞۞۞۞۞۞۞۞۞۞۞۞۞۞۞۞۞۞۞۞

Originally posted by Simon666

If one of them is lying, and suppose it would be dude 1 or dude 2, then the table would not be moving all the time so dude 3 would also be lying.
    Simon, I'm afraid that I disagree with you.

I don't think that the table was moving because of dude 1 and dude 2 going under it, but because it was wobbly (is this the right word?). I don't see the relation between both facts, or at least I think that they are not obligatory related.

But, I'm not very happy with my answer either.

Originally posted by saturno7
    I think I know this one, but I'm not sure if I can explain it in English...

The sun light must travel from the Sun to the Earth, suffering from scattering during its trip. The air molecules in the terrestrial atmosphere scatters the blue and violet components of the white sun light and let the rest pass without dispersion, because of the size of these molecules (smaller than the red and orange components wave lenght, but similar to the wave length of the blue component). The violet component suffers from scattering more than the blue one, but the human eye is more sensitive to blue, so we see the sky blue and not violet.

That's the Rayleigh effect, I think.

I hope I have explain myself more or less well in my strange English..
    Really the Rayleigh scattering depends on the fouth power of the frequency, this is why the blue and violet component of the light is more scattered than the red. This effect causes sky's blue appearance, because when we look at the sky we see the scattered light which has more blue components than red. And this is also why the sky's appearance at sunset is red, because we see the light not scattered, wich has more red components.

The human eye has a peak of sensivity at 555 nanometers (yellow-green) but this is with photopic vision. At night when intensity of light decreases the peak is displaced to the blues (510 nanometers).

Originally posted by Doctor Luz
    Really the Rayleigh scattering depends on the fouth power of the frequency, this is why the blue and violet component of the light is more scattered than the red. This effect causes sky's blue appearance, because when we look at the sky we see the scattered light which has more blue components than red. And this is also why the sky's appearance at sunset is red, because we see the light not scattered, wich has more red components. The human eye has a peak of sensivity at 555 nanometers (yellow-green) but this is with photopic vision. At night when intensity of light decreases the peak is displaced to the blues (510 nanometers).
    Well apart from the detail I mentioned (red light is also scattered but much less) I think I could approve saturno7's answer. I'm the one who could approve it. Your explanation is even better. No points for that alas.

The third lad lies, because a table with three feet is always stable (as long as no one moves it). The result is that it could not be moving "all the time".

If the table was moved by the two other guys doing things under the table, the third would not has felt the need to put a cap under a foot of the table anyway, he would just have waited until they were finished.
    Elrond
    A chess genius is a human being who focuses vast, little-understood mental gifts and labors on an ultimately trivial human enterprise.
    -- George Steiner

Originally posted by Elrond
    The third lad lies, because a table with three feet is always stable (as long as no one moves it). The result is that it could not be moving "all the time".

If the table was moved by the two other guys doing things under the table, the third would not has felt the need to put a cap under a foot of the table anyway, he would just have waited until they were finished.
    I thought of that, but suppose that one of the feet was shorter than the rest. The three dudes were playing poker, so probably they were hitting the table all the time, or at least resting on it. If one of the dudes was resting above the shorter feet, and the other two in the middle of the longest ones, the table would have been moving. Or I least I think so...

Page 3 of 92 FirstFirst 1234561353 ... LastLast