CodeGuru Home VC++ / MFC / C++ .NET / C# Visual Basic VB Forums Developer.com
Page 158 of 159 FirstFirst ... 58108148155156157158159 LastLast
Results 2,356 to 2,370 of 2374

Re: The Boring Thread

Half a score and seven years ago Tom brought forth upon this forum a new thread dedicated to the proposition that this thread is boring.
    Verere testudinem! (Fear the turtle)

Once you can accept the universe as matter expanding into nothing that is something, wearing stripes with plaid comes easy. -Albert Einstein

Robots are trying to steal my luggage.

It is still boring.

Once you can accept the universe as matter expanding into nothing that is something, wearing stripes with plaid comes easy. -Albert Einstein

2kaud is online now Super Moderator Power Poster

The yawnfullness is terrific!
    All advice is offered in good faith only. All my code is tested (unless stated explicitly otherwise) with the latest version of Microsoft Visual Studio (using the supported features of the latest standard) and is offered as examples only - not as production quality. I cannot offer advice regarding any other c/c++ compiler/IDE or incompatibilities with VS. You are ultimately responsible for the effects of your programs and the integrity of the machines they run on. Anything I post, code snippets, advice, etc is licensed as Public Domain https://creativecommons.org/publicdomain/zero/1.0/ and can be used without reference or acknowledgement. Also note that I only provide advice and guidance via the forums - and not via private messages!

C++23 Compiler: Microsoft VS2022 (17.6.5)

This thread illustrates the so called symbol grounding problem very well. It does not have to define boring because it is self-explanatory boring.

It is self-defining.
    All advice is offered in good faith only. All my code is tested (unless stated explicitly otherwise) with the latest version of Microsoft Visual Studio (using the supported features of the latest standard) and is offered as examples only - not as production quality. I cannot offer advice regarding any other c/c++ compiler/IDE or incompatibilities with VS. You are ultimately responsible for the effects of your programs and the integrity of the machines they run on. Anything I post, code snippets, advice, etc is licensed as Public Domain https://creativecommons.org/publicdomain/zero/1.0/ and can be used without reference or acknowledgement. Also note that I only provide advice and guidance via the forums - and not via private messages!

Quote Originally Posted by 2kaud View Post
    It is self-defining.
    I'll keep my reply as boring as possible.

The symbol grounding problem is new to me. I came across it while checking out the issue of consciousness in Artificial Intelligence. It is argued that for an AI to be conscious it cannot rely on a self-contained dictionary of symbols that are explained together in relation to each other. Instead at least some symbols must be self-explanatory, that is grounded in some sort of tangible reality. For the boring thread to ground boring it must evoke the sensation of boredom in the AI who/which then can associate the symbol boring with the actual feeling of being bored.

Apparently with grounded information human level consciousness in AI can be achieved. Quite scary to have machines with a sense of self comparable to ours. I doubt it's even desirable. It raises ethical questions. Do they have human rights or are they our slaves? And exactly how do we benefit from their intelligence? Say they have a much higher IQ than the average human. Practically it means they are much better at solving Raven Matrix puzzles than humans but how do we benefit from that? Ordinary computers executing algorithms will still outdo AI-machines with high IQ. Running algorithms fast is not the strength of human intelligence no matter how high the IQ. But couldn't such AI-machines use their high IQ to invent better algorithms? Unfortunately most real problems are NP-hard and take almost infinite time to solve. No genius, man or machine, can change that because it's a law of nature that sets an upper limit to computing just as it does with speed (you cannot travel faster than light). Admittedly the limit for computing is not yet proved but very likely.

So to me, machines with human style intelligence seems like a dead end. In fact even human style intelligence itself may be a dead end. It is an ongoing evolutionary experiment with an unknown outcome. We consider ourselves the crown of creation but our intelligence may very well enable us to destroy our habitat Earth. If we manage to self-destruct and go extinct, evolution will just unceremoniously remove intelligence from its list of promising traits and continue without us as if we never existed.
    Last edited by wolle; July 26th, 2020 at 12:55 AM.

That post was too interesting for this thread...zzzzzzzzzzz.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Frohman View Post
    That post was too interesting for this thread...zzzzzzzzzzz.
    Sorry for that, I'll try another topic. Hopefully the one I have in mind will be a better fit. It should because one of its most influential figures goes by the name of Mr. Bohr.

I'm talking about Quantum Mechanics. QM is a subject I've never managed to understand but now I at least understand why I don't understand it. It's because I've never realized that there are several competing interpretations of QM and I've always only come across the dominant one, the so called Copenhagen interpretation. It states that there exist no particles in the classical sense, only wave-functions; A physical particle is a wave-function meaning that nature is fundamentally probabilistic. I find it hard to believe.

I'm aware of the quote attributed to Einstein that "God does not play dice" but I've always thought he said so because he had gotten old and couldn't grasp QM. But now I understand that Einstein's critique has lived on and resulted in several alternatives to the Copenhagen interpretation. I'm particularly interested in the one by David Bohm. Here a particle is a classical particle. The particle is affected by a classical field but also by a quantum field and these together satisfy the Schrödinger equation with the same results as with the Copenhagen interpretation.

Fine but what is a quantum field? I don't know. Introducing it doesn't solve the mystery of QM but in the Bohm interpretation at least a particle is a particle and not some statistical ghost - and that's good enough for me.

https://aeon.co/ideas/what-einstein-...-not-play-dice
    Last edited by wolle; August 16th, 2020 at 05:36 AM.

ZZZZZzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Boring would be preferable to the year 2020.
    Please....

What...............

There was once a horse, which headed towards a Hill. It started to climb the hill and find out whats on the other side. It started climbing up and up and up. One day he finally reached the crest of the hill but he found out it was only the military crest, so he kep on climbing. Once he reached the actual crest, he took a peak on the other side and found himself where he started, so he started climbing down and down and down.....

stop boring, just play games))

I hope you mean playing boring games?)

I have to say... this place is the life of the party .

Page 158 of 159 FirstFirst ... 58108148155156157158159 LastLast