CodeGuru Home VC++ / MFC / C++ .NET / C# Visual Basic VB Forums Developer.com

DDE help. C project

I'm trying to use DDE from ansi C project (console app for windows), and I need to use DDEML.h, which is intended to be compiled using C++. The implementation of the actual functionallity is in the file DDEML.dll
    The thing is I need to compile the project using ansi C and not C++. Is it possible to get a header file intended for ansi C ? Is it even possible to use this dll from ansi C ?

Thanks

To start, you may already know this, maybe not, but DDE is essentially a DEAD technology. I would Advise you to use COM or some other sort of automation aside from DDE. If DDE is what you have to use there are several examples here at codeguru. It is possible to call the DDEML.dll from ANSI C. Good Luck.....

Originally posted by alanr
    To start, you may already know this, maybe not, but DDE is essentially a DEAD technology. I would Advise you to use COM or some other sort of automation aside from DDE. If DDE is what you have to use there are several examples here at codeguru. It is possible to call the DDEML.dll from ANSI C. Good Luck.....
    Thanks for your reply.
    Can you tell me where can I find these examples you're talking about ?

sbayeta--

Here is a good wrapper class for DDE on the page listed below. I remember using this back in 1998, more than 5 years ago. At that time it was considered old. Maybe DDE will never go away.

http://www.anthemion.co.uk/code.htm

Best of Luck....

Alanr:
    I´m also interested in using DDE from a C program, but the link you suggest still uses C++.
    The thing is we need to incorporate DDE capability to a C program that can´t be compiled in C++
    Do you know of any exmaple that uses C instead of C++??

Thanks

aracioppi-

I am not aware of any C examples which use DDE. However, you could easily go through the C++ example and make it compliant to C. I think you should seriously consider using a better more agile technology aside from DDE. COM Automation is much, much, much better than DDE! Good luck.

alanr

OK, THANKS

Are you sure you must use C? The explanations provided so far for why it is needed are not accurate; you don't need C to do anything you have said you need to do. You might be correct that there is a need to use C and you don't have to explain to us but I just wanted to make it clear than none of the reasons provided so far are relevant.

Look in the MSDN archives for DDE samples. Hopefully you can find a file called stddde.c; I think that will help. You might need to get an old copy of the MSDN to get articles and samples using C.
    "Signature":
    My web site is Simple Samples.
    C# Corner Editor

The example I showed a link to is a DDE example written in C++. However, it could easily be called the same way in C.