CodeGuru Home VC++ / MFC / C++ .NET / C# Visual Basic VB Forums Developer.com

Extreme Programming

Just what the heck is Extreme Programming (XP)? I am tired of reading the allusive one-liners like, "XP is a methodology that empowers developers to confidently respond to changing customer requirements...blah blah blah..."

I had never heard of it so decided to check it out on the Internet and I can see the root of your question. Rarely have I encountered such a morass of obfuscating bullshit. Apparently it's just a fancy name for exactly the kind of good programming practices that should already be in place in any successful software shop (but usually aren't).
    phinds
    vs2008, 3.5SP1 Version 9.0.21022.8 RTM

Makes the two of us, then.

Originally posted by phinds
    Apparently it's just a fancy name for exactly the kind of good programming practices that should already be in place in any successful software shop (but usually aren't).
    Well...I would like to disagree here...XP is basically far away from the traditional software engineering models. I do not want to say whether it is better or not though since this depends heavily on the actual project and resources...

Originally posted by Sathyaish
    Makes the two of us, then.
    You might want to take a look at this thread for a discussion on XP...

[Moved thread]

XP is an agile and iterative development process that stresses the use of such development techniques as test-driven development, pair programming, frequent refactoring, and other supporting methodologies. It is in the same category as other agile development processes like the Unified Process (and the Rational Unified Process version of that technique) and Scrum, but with its own characteristics as well. It is certainly not the dominant development process, which could been termed "waterfall" or "Big-Design Up Front" methodologies, where it is rare to find iterative methods or test-driven design.
    */*/*/*/*/*/*/*/*/*/*/*/*/*/*/*/*/*/

"It's hard to believe in something you don't understand." -- the sidhi X-files episode

galathaea: prankster, fablist, magician, liar

Hi galathaea,

Many thanks for the treasure of information in that link. XP looks like a real cool way of doing things I have already been doing some of. And I see it now, as it is basically all the good practical ideas under a name Extreme Programming. Its one cool thing. I am begining to get interested in reading more. And what pleases me is that you have the Jewel on that site. Yeah! I call him a Jewel because a jewel he is. I landed on his site three months back by a recommendation from one of my colleagues, and believe you me, I forgot to eat or sleep or my sickness in bed when I was reading his pages. Never read anything of his kind. And these Microsoftees, its true, are a marvel. There's Scott Bern, Don Box, Steve Macguire, who else to mention. And you know there's a particular site that has all the blogs of the Microsoftees.

Handily countable weeks ago, I'd gone to the extreme programming site you'd mentioned in your first post but reading the first few pages, wasn't motivated enough to read further. It seemed to me like someone trying to make a buck from passing fad. But the link you mentioned, the rules page, quickly made me ravenously intrigued in the subject and I read all of it. It made interesting reading.