CodeGuru Home VC++ / MFC / C++ .NET / C# Visual Basic VB Forums Developer.com

JRE dynamic Versioning

JRE dynamic Versioning

I understand that with dynamic versioning, if client machine does not have the "required version" (I don't know how to specify that), then the user should be prompted to download a version as specified by codebase attribute of the <Object> tag:

<OBJECT
    classid="clsid:8AD9C840-044E-11D1-B3E9-00805F499D93"
    codebase="somedir/jinstall-1_4_1_01-windows-i586.cab#Version=1,4,1,0,1" id=Java_Plug-in_1_4_1_011
    >

... bunch of stuff ...

</OBJECT>

QUESTION 1:
    Do we use the same classid for all JRE versions? If not, WHERE do I get it from? From [REF-1], it seems that we use the same classid for all JRE versions if we're using "dynamic versioning". Is this true?

QUESTION 2:
    I've specified the following classid to indicate dynamic versioning:

CLASSID="clsid:08B0E5C0-4FCB-11CF-AAA5-00401C608500"

Then I installed the old JRE 1.4.1 onto my system. I tested my versioning support and pointed my browser to the page in which the applet is embedded using <OBJECT> tag (with dynamic versioning)

The applet didn't get loaded - "Loading applet..." message - but the user was not prompted to download the JRE

Reference:
    1. http://www.bambookit.com/reference/j...bject_tag.html
    http://java.sun.com/products/plugin/versions.html
    heHAA

Have a look at the applet converter. It should be in the bin directory of your java install location.

What it does is take applet html tags and conver them into object and embed tags so that it will prompt the user to download the correct JRE version.