CodeGuru Home VC++ / MFC / C++ .NET / C# Visual Basic VB Forums Developer.com

Need to know where the bug is!!

Hi All,
    I am using word automation and i am selecting each and every page of word document and converting to bmp file. Assume a file has 4 bulleted information in one page and the other bulleted information in the second page. If i select the second page and convert to bmp file i am getting the output file with bullet number starting from 1. I tried copying the second page alone and paste in mspaint. There also i found that the second page information starts with wrong bulleted number.
    Where is the mistake. If any settings in word has to changed to overcome this problem please inform me.
    Thanks in advance,
    Thoppae

doesnt word renumber the lists according to when it thinks they start? i dont know how you would get round this, except maybe select the entire list and paste it into paint (can you even do that?) and chop off the bit you dont want... or maximise your word, fit to 100%, and send a few keys, like alt+prtscrn, and pagedown, to get your word document onto the clipboard..

prtscrn takes a screenshot, basically.. and if word is maximised then the shots will always be in the same place so you can easily chop ? not sure, never done anything with paint
    "it's a fax from your dog, Mr Dansworth. It looks like your cat" - Gary Larson...DW1: Data Walkthroughs 1.1...DW2: Data Walkthroughs 2.0...DDS: The DataSet Designer Surface...ANO: ADO.NET2 Orientation...DAN: Deeper ADO.NET...DNU...PQ

Hi,
    I wish to bring to your notice that I am creating the bmp file programatically (word automation).
    I cannot select the entire content and paste it in paint because i dont know how many page the document will be.
    You said something about chopping off the undesired portion. Actually document has to be converted to bmp and this process is a background process.(so i cannot show the screen so no printscreen e.t.c.....).
    Anyother way??
    Thanks in Advance,
    Thoppae

wasnt even aware that the doc could be made intoa BMP, but can you convert the whole document, then carve it up?
    "it's a fax from your dog, Mr Dansworth. It looks like your cat" - Gary Larson...DW1: Data Walkthroughs 1.1...DW2: Data Walkthroughs 2.0...DDS: The DataSet Designer Surface...ANO: ADO.NET2 Orientation...DAN: Deeper ADO.NET...DNU...PQ

Hi,
    As i already said i cannot predict the document size (i.e No of pages) and so i cannot convert the whole document at a stretch and carve it up.
    I am successful in converting the whole document page by page to bmp except the problem i said earlier.i.e wrong bullet numbering.
    Needed help,
    Thoppae.

you can convert page by page, and you never find out the whole number of pages?

Dim pageCounter as Integer ...

Hi,
    Yes I can. Consider this: I am making the paint height and width attributes in such a manner that it can hold 5 page of information.
    Size of A4 page is 11.69" x 8". Surely I will get memory problems if i allocate memory to hold 5 pages. (You can try .But I am not responsible if your system hangs!!) So i am converting page by page bmp file. Are you able to get my point??
    Anyother way please,
    Thoppae.

memory requirements for a single page at 72 pixels per inch:

colours = kilobytes

2 = 59
    16 = 237
    256 = 475
    16 777 216 = 1300

your documents are what.. black and white? or some color also..

i reckon win xp machine with 128 meg ram and 256 meg swap file would do over 800 pages @ 16 colours, and 400 pages at 256..

if youre converting any more than this, use a better machine

oh, and over 3000 pages in black and white

im guessing that BMP is quite a normal, boring, serial type file, so you can convert straight to disk if you like, then read serially, chop the data after a certain point, write it to disk, write the next file, write the header, write the data...

bmp needs no complex expansion like GIF.. you can (i think) chop 8000 bits (1000 bytes) out of it, add a header that says X bits per pixel and boom. .you got 8000/X pixels of your image, left to right, top to bottom

Hi,
    Just do one thing. Open paint and set height attribute to 20000(this is equivalent to height of 5 pages) in pixels. I hope you can see your system getting down. My machine p3 800 with 256mb ram
    Moreover the document may contain pictures(gif,tiff,bmp,jpeg e.t.c), charts, tables e.t.c.
    Thoppae.

mspaint seems particularly lame at handling it's memory.. i managed to get it to consume 40 megabytes of memory for a 1x1 pixel image.. this was, however, right after i made an image 20000 x 20000.. which consumed the same, 40 megabytes of memory (black and white)

hence, i dont advocate using paint if you can at all help it..

on a slightly unrelated note:

is this for your personal endeavour, or is it for your workplace? what are you paid, per day, if it is for work reasons?

i ask because:

http://neevia.com/pricingPDC.htm

1 program, converts word docs to bmp, $99 - if you are paid $100 a day, then its already losing money, writing the tool, because it's taken longer than a day

heres another option:

http://www.zan1011.com/buy.htm

zan printer driver.. prints to BMP files from word.. at $30 for a single copy, it is for sure a waste of time writing one! (even for personal use, value your time sensibly - how long would it take you, working in mcdonalds, to earn $30. have you spent longer than this struggling with the current problem? if yes, then buy the driver)

you can trial it for 30 days here:

http://www.zan1011.com/download.htm

The trial copy of Zan Image Printer V3.0 expires 30 days after activation, during the 30-day trial period, Zan Image Printer is fully functional except that you can only print maximum 15 pages per print job.
    you may also find this of interest:

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&l...rint+to%22+BMP

Hike

Hi,
    Thanks for your suggestions. I am aware of the printer drivers and software that you said. The conversion process should take place in background. This application i am going to provide as jni interface, so i dont think that most of tools will suffice my requirement.
    Moreover, if i made this to work, i will get a huge huge huge hike man. I am facing this problem alone otherwise by this time i would have got money bag.
    Thoppae.