CodeGuru Home VC++ / MFC / C++ .NET / C# Visual Basic VB Forums Developer.com

CursorTypes that can be used for Client-side Cursors

All,
    I am just having difficulty in understanding the concept of client side cursors.
    Can we NOT use the Keyset cursor type with a Client-side cursor? Or is this a waste of resources?

Once a recordset is retrieved to the cient machine is there much point in using dynamic or keyset cursors,? As I can see it client-side cursors do not let you see the changes to a record ser made by other users, as the record set now resides on the client computer.
    Is this thinking correct?

Your help is much appreciated.

Viji

Depends. If the recordset is linked to an event, then when a change is made by another user, then you will be notified of a change. Also, you may need these type of Recordset for moving around the recordset.

i.e. next and previous functions. If you are using a forward-only, read only recordset, then you'd have to write a routine to for going to the prior record since you can only move in one direction.

You could use a disconnected keyset recordset for remote updates where the link is poor and do batch updates once a day for instance.

It's like most things, Down to the Application Design and What the requirements are.