CodeGuru Home VC++ / MFC / C++ .NET / C# Visual Basic VB Forums Developer.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Learning how to make applications

I want to be a application software engineer, and don't know where to start. Can any one tell me what I should learn first and after that. I don't have any programming skills except for HTML and CSS.
    Last edited by NewbieWay; January 13th, 2004 at 11:10 PM.

WHats your educational background?
    Microsoft LVP - Least Valuable Professional

Please rate this post... Pleeeeeeaaassee!!!

Originally posted by Deniz
    WHats your educational background?
    that matters?

Originally posted by Mick
    that matters?
    Of course it does!

Of course it does!
    ahh let me that the next time I check my bank account....

to the OP.. if you want to run the gambit...then c++, java and kiddie script VB...

You'll just make yourself more competitive in the market with some decorated degree.

You'll just make yourself more competitive in the market with some decorated degree.
    you make yourself competitive in the market by knowing what your talking about. Any employer that raises their nose because you do not have degree, is an employer that doesn't know what they are talking about

Any employer that raises their nose because you do not have degree, is an employer that doesn't know what they are talking about
    Problem is, they're still the employer .
    SolarFlare

Those who cling to life die and those who defy death live. -Sun Tzu

cout << endl;
    return 0;
    }

Originally posted by SolarFlare
    I guess...but then maybe i've been lucky...I don't know....who would you rather hire, somebody that had to go to school to get taught something, or somebody that goes and gets the learn on themselves...

what's that saying...

those that can, do
    those that can't, teach
    those that can't teach, administrate
    I'd really love to meet somebody that learned more in college than I already knew...that would be entertaining...and that's not arrogance..it's just if you already know...well then you already know...peace out...

I guess...but then maybe i've been lucky...I don't know....who would you rather hire, somebody that had to go to school to get taught something, or somebody that goes and gets the learn on themselves...
    On the other hand, the guy who went to school learned from a curriculum, learned specific stuff, and was evaluated. For the person who teaches himself, he learns what he wanted to learn (which may or may not be less than he needs to know), and the only evaluation he has is the programs he has written.
    SolarFlare

Those who cling to life die and those who defy death live. -Sun Tzu

cout << endl;
    return 0;
    }

On the other hand, the guy who went to school learned from a curriculum, learned specific stuff, and was evaluated. For the person who teaches himself, he learns what he wanted to learn (which may or may not be less than he needs to know), and the only evaluation he has is the programs he has written.
    really? just curious you'd call the prof an equal, so are as I have seen over my career...they haven't taught anything of import. And it's just my opinion and my exp...but those that didn't are more apt to think outside the box...I'm not saying it's better, or it's worse...fore me, I would never ask the question, too much pride...I would rather RE things....but then I have a passion, and that passion is the need to know....it started when I was 12 and got my first 'puter...it's never stopped....it's the difference I think...I would have wasted my life going to college....sheez I'd probably be some marine bio since that's one of my other passions, or a virologist...I think if I went to college I would have never made it out of there

The day you put in the capital and run your own business, you can hire anyone off the street. But till that day comes, when your trying to break into the industry for the first time, unless you got some education under your belt your pretty much boned.

not if you're not their employee

Andy Tacker is offline More than "Just Another Member"
    Dont Forget my Signature
    If you think you CAN, you can, If you think you CAN'T, you are probably right.

Have some nice Idea to share? Write an Article Online or Email to us and You may WIN a Technical Book from CG.

Its a hard field to get into. Sometimes, some parlor tricks can get you in the job, and education is certainly one of those. Everybody wants to be a programmer these days as the machine continues its slow engulfing...

But another parlor trick that works is experience. Kind of like credit, its one of those frustrating things at first (how can I get experience when I don't have it initially), but I think if you stick at it as the year count grows, you get more and more attractive to employers. At least, I'm finding that a lot of jobs out there want experience levels, and I think many companies are turning away from just grouping together a bunch of code monkeys. It doesn't work very well.

But education, like experience, is a parlor trick. They are not always correlated with the thing that is really the goal, finding an employee that can get the work done.
    */*/*/*/*/*/*/*/*/*/*/*/*/*/*/*/*/*/

"It's hard to believe in something you don't understand." -- the sidhi X-files episode

galathaea: prankster, fablist, magician, liar

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast