CodeGuru Home VC++ / MFC / C++ .NET / C# Visual Basic VB Forums Developer.com

Is there a way to pass a HANDLE from one process to another?

I am playing with Pipes which allow me to intercommunicate from one process to another but if you have ever played with pipes you quickly realize that the CreatePipe() function returns
    back two handles one for reading and one for writing. The one handle is for the one process, the other handle for the other process. The problem is how do you get a VALID handle
    to the other process so the communication can begin? I noticed they Created a new process and had it Inherit the handles of the process that did the creating BUT what i want to
    know is, is there a way to pass one of these handles to an already existing process. I know i can pass anything i want to another process with such techniques as the clipboard, or
    WM_COPYDATA but it is this HANDLE that it seems that it becomes invalid once it gets into another process. I am hoping there is a way to pass a handle to another process and
    still remain valid. Are there any existing API functions to resolve this?

DuplicateHandle
    */*/*/*/*/*/*/*/*/*/*/*/*/*/*/*/*/*/

"It's hard to believe in something you don't understand." -- the sidhi X-files episode

galathaea: prankster, fablist, magician, liar

Originally posted by galathaea
    DuplicateHandle
    ha ha beat me too it I'll just add there is a lot of documentation on using duplicatehandle(...) if you just search your own local msdn or msdn.microsoft.com and example code too boot.

THANK YOU!!! You guys are lifesavers!!