CodeGuru Home VC++ / MFC / C++ .NET / C# Visual Basic VB Forums Developer.com

View Poll Results: Do you program in any of the "less popular" languages? (multiple choices allowed)

Voters
11. You may not vote on this poll
  • Objective-C

1 9.09%
  • Objective-C++

1 9.09%
  • Python

4 36.36%
  • Eiffel

2 18.18%
  • D

0 0%
  • SmallTalk

2 18.18%
  • TOM

0 0%
  • Oberon

0 0%
  • Whitespace

0 0%
  • Other

8 72.73%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Re: Re: Re: Re: LISP & Scheme

Originally posted by Yves M
    Since the idiom of Prolog is so far from an iterative language like C++, you have to re-design the algorithms anyways to get the most out of them. It takes more code but in the end it's faster and more scalable.
    Although, It's a beautiful language for doing some specific things, but here I agree with you that most likely its use is quite restrictive when you have to deal with real-world complex projects.

I heard that there's an IDE tool called Visual Prolog, but donot know what it provides in addition. In particular, whether it's simply an IDE or some extension for the common Prolog language too.

btw, did you take a look at the posted link about Ruby ?
    Last edited by dimm_coder; July 1st, 2004 at 06:35 AM.
    "UNIX is simple; it just takes a genius to understand its simplicity!"

Yeah I looked a bit at it. It seems nice, kind of like an object oriented perl. But I don't quite like the syntax. It has the same problem that Perl has IMHO which is that a single line of code can be very powerful, but you have to either know the language very well or read through it very carefully in order to see what is what. Then again this can also be argued for C++
    Get this small utility to do basic syntax highlighting in vBulletin forums (like Codeguru) easily.
    Supports C++ and VB out of the box, but can be configured for other languages.

Since the idiom of Prolog is so far from an iterative language like C++, you have to re-design the algorithms anyways to get the most out of them. It takes more code but in the end it's faster and more scalable.
    at the risk of going on, this just reminded me... well, anyway, this is how i use my lispy terp. i can make a script to do most things (it does isam, typelibs, com & stuff)

i prototype w/ it & as things develop, i can migrate bottlenecks into c++ & call them as extensions. this is what i really like is development envirnments that allow problems to be tackled in one way, & then optimised in another w/out disrupting the overall architecture. i pretty much think of my lisp as a tool for loading & managing modules.

i guess prolog wld be more nice if the logical structure of a program cld be expressed in that language, but critical or nonstandard extensions cld easily be delegated to other code bases. maybe a prolog which called into backtracking search, shared memory & i/o interfaces... (implimentations of which cld then be manually entered as machine code using toggle switches)

get my drift?

my research reveals the folloing details on the languages you recommend.

INTERCAL -- The language designed to be Turing-complete but as fundamentally unlike any existing language as possible. Expressions that look like line noise. Control constructs that will make you gasp, make you laugh, and possibly make you hurl. Data structures? We don't need no steenking data structures!

Befunge -- Computer Programming in multiple Directions, Dimensions, and Topologies.
    BrainF*** -- An 8-instruction Turing-complete computer language.
    Malebolge -- Programming from ****.
    Unlambda -- functional programming taken to a horrifying extreme.
    which do you recommend i go with for my 24/7 database app?

fya, another neuron burning home workout can be had w/ the nondeterministic lisp package 'screamer' ...

http://www-2.cs.cmu.edu/afs/cs/proje...creamer/0.html

=oD

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12