CodeGuru Home VC++ / MFC / C++ .NET / C# Visual Basic VB Forums Developer.com
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Re: Post a single piece of programming/development tools you can't live without !

The computing device that I'm programming.

Ooo, you mean software, then my IDE (Dev-Cpp, TextPad, and JCreator).
    Hungarian notation, reinterpreted? http://www.joelonsoftware.com/articles/Wrong.html

Re: Post a single piece of programming/development tools you can't live without !

Wow !!

Coffee and cigarettes !! cool movie..

coffee+metal/doom

Quote Originally Posted by Zeb
    ME!!

someone should kill me for that comment...although it does prove that I'm a tool
    lol

I'll go with Notepad

Quote Originally Posted by Norfy
    google
    in all seriousness i think this is definitely the best answer so far.

Debugger would have been a good answer but for the fact that I'm now coding in C# and not Smalltalk.
    Useful? Then click on (Rate This Post) at the top of this post.

ActiveSync...
    Come Join This Poll Where are we from? (Ultimate)

Knowing is not enough; we must apply. Willing is not enough; we must do. - Johann Wolfgang
    An idle brain is the devil's workshop. - unknown

Peace and quiet, something the kid in one of the rooms has a hard time grasping.
    Here are the rules, you must obey them or the gender bender will get you.

And if you ever think of posting without code-tags, the evil monkey will come after you.

Talking Re: Post a single piece of programming/development tools you can't live without !

Quote Originally Posted by Ejaz
    Cigarettes
    Quote Originally Posted by kirants
    Wow !!

Coffee and cigarettes !! cool movie..

coffee+metal/doom

Exclamation Re: Post a single piece of programming/development tools you can't live without !

Quote Originally Posted by Ejaz
    Cigarettes
    Ah, Ejaz, my friend-- me too! Cigarettes are a must...
    Mansoor

( and, of course my Bloodshed Dev ++ and my trusty MS Notepad )
    "Nay, you love this present life!"

Save your keystrokes!

That's two votes for Notepad... has the world gone mad? the editor you can access from the DOS prompt is better than Notepad!

Spend a little money on UltraEdit or something good - you'll never look back.

Lightbulb Re: Post a single piece of programming/development tools you can't live without !

NotePad is beautiful in its simplicity-- I use it for everything from simple sorting apps to A.I. Keep it Simple.

~Mansoor

Save your keystrokes!

but notepad doesn't even hold idents!

now i'm doing everything in Visual Studio, but before that I couldn't have lived without UltraEdit. Even the simple things it does, like adding itself to right click menus so you can "Open file in UltraEdit". It's beautiful. Especially when you work with files with no extension so you can't assign a default viewer for them.

then it has syntax highlighting, macros, hex editing, the lot. BUT, and heres the best bit, even though it has all these great features, you can just use it as a simple text editor!

-- disclaimer -- I'm in no way affiliated with UltraEdit or whoever makes it. I've just used it in the past and it's the best text editor i've used.

Exclamation Re: Post a single piece of programming/development tools you can't live without !

Holding a series of indents is really no problem for me-- I never mess with indenting until usually half-way through the initial coding phase, that is, if I don' t wait until final compile, fix, and release. I consider indenting "clean-up" and I only take time to make it nice at the end to meet others' expectations and for their convenience. I would rather just use comments to indicate code areas and modules than indents. I have never truly understood the point. Now, I have been told this is an unpopular and shoddy practice and opinion (I would be pleased for someone to share their opinion(s) on this, indenting and enlighten me... I'm always looking for better and more concise coding practices ) Thank-you, and GO notePad!

Save your keystrokes!

As sad (maybe?) as it may seem for one who learned all about UNIX compilers and debuggers in college, I don't know if I could now live without the MSVC++ debugger. Man that thing is SWEET.

Oh, and Spy++ is pretty freakin' cool too. I've encountered bugs that would have been almost impossible to find without it (mostly involving tooltips ).
    --EJMW

err... girls?
    "UNIX is simple; it just takes a genius to understand its simplicity!"

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast