CodeGuru Home VC++ / MFC / C++ .NET / C# Visual Basic VB Forums Developer.com
Page 1 of 28 123411 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 412

Thread: Hot Geeks

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    24

    Hot Geeks

    Anybody else here think geeks are hot?

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Location
    Madrid
    Posts
    4,588

    Re: Hot Geeks

    How do you define a geek? ;-)
    Get this small utility to do basic syntax highlighting in vBulletin forums (like Codeguru) easily.
    Supports C++ and VB out of the box, but can be configured for other languages.

  3. #3

    Wink Re: Hot Geeks

    Quote Originally Posted by Yves M
    How do you define a geek? ;-)
    From dictionary.com:
    geek
    n. Slang
    1. A person regarded as foolish, inept, or clumsy.
    2. A person who is single-minded or accomplished in scientific or technical pursuits but is felt to be socially inept.
    3. A carnival performer whose show consists of bizarre acts, such as biting the head off a live chicken.
    nerd also nurd n. Slang
    1. A foolish, inept, or unattractive person.
    2. A person who is single-minded or accomplished in scientific or technical pursuits but is felt to be socially inept.
    Based on the definitions above, I think nerd is better.
    Okay, okay.. just kidding. Are they really socially inept??
    A few friendly reminders:
    * Use Code Tags when posting code.
    * Rate good replies/post by clicking "Rate this Post" and leaving a positive feedback.
    * Things should be made as simple as possible, but not any simpler. -- Albert Einstein

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    100m below sea level
    Posts
    189

    Re: Hot Geeks

    geeks or nerd? they basically don't exist...
    Come Join This Poll Where are we from? (Ultimate)

    Knowing is not enough; we must apply. Willing is not enough; we must do. - Johann Wolfgang
    An idle brain is the devil's workshop. - unknown

  5. #5

    Question Re: Hot Geeks

    Quote Originally Posted by Max Payne
    geeks or nerd? they basically don't exist...
    Really? How so??
    A few friendly reminders:
    * Use Code Tags when posting code.
    * Rate good replies/post by clicking "Rate this Post" and leaving a positive feedback.
    * Things should be made as simple as possible, but not any simpler. -- Albert Einstein

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    100m below sea level
    Posts
    189

    Re: Hot Geeks

    Quote Originally Posted by che_rish
    Really? How so??
    do you think Alien exists?? no they don't, you only see them in movies..
    so does the geeks or nerds !

    /get what i mean???
    Come Join This Poll Where are we from? (Ultimate)

    Knowing is not enough; we must apply. Willing is not enough; we must do. - Johann Wolfgang
    An idle brain is the devil's workshop. - unknown

  7. #7

    Smile Re: Hot Geeks

    Quote Originally Posted by Max Payne
    do you think Alien exists?? no they don't, you only see them in movies..
    so does the geeks or nerds !

    /get what i mean???
    Yeah, i see your point. I just wanted to know your reason. Can you tell that to NoHero?? (see Post)... although i know he meant is as a joke.
    Last edited by che_rish; April 4th, 2005 at 09:19 PM.
    A few friendly reminders:
    * Use Code Tags when posting code.
    * Rate good replies/post by clicking "Rate this Post" and leaving a positive feedback.
    * Things should be made as simple as possible, but not any simpler. -- Albert Einstein

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    100m below sea level
    Posts
    189

    Re: Hot Geeks

    Quote Originally Posted by che_rish
    Yeah, i see your point. I just wanted to know your reason. Can you tell that to NoHero?? (see Post)... although i know he meant is as a joke.
    I think he is high on morphine when he posted that...

    /those crazy austrians...
    Come Join This Poll Where are we from? (Ultimate)

    Knowing is not enough; we must apply. Willing is not enough; we must do. - Johann Wolfgang
    An idle brain is the devil's workshop. - unknown

  9. #9

    Talking Re: Hot Geeks

    Quote Originally Posted by Max Payne
    I think he is high on morphine when he posted that...

    /those crazy austrians...
    A few friendly reminders:
    * Use Code Tags when posting code.
    * Rate good replies/post by clicking "Rate this Post" and leaving a positive feedback.
    * Things should be made as simple as possible, but not any simpler. -- Albert Einstein

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    (Upper-) Austria
    Posts
    2,899

    Re: Hot Geeks

    Quote Originally Posted by che_rish
    Yeah, i see your point. I just wanted to know your reason. Can you tell that to NoHero?? (see Post)... although i know he meant is as a joke.
    Don't mind it... As said in several other threads I just want to amuse myself: Imagine me as a small cobold which dances around you while he is screaming.. "neeerdy, neeerdy... neeerdy"
    I am not offering technical guidiance via email or IM
    Come on share your photo with us! CG members photo album!
    Use the Code Tags!

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    24

    Re: Hot Geeks

    My definition of geek would have to be option 2...
    However, I don't think single-minded is fair! Most "geeks" I'm acquainted with know more than technical mumbo jumbo!
    I guess my question boils down to looks or brains? I am way more attracted to smart people that cute ones. NO REALLY!
    The geek category of the smart people group is even better because of their perceptions of life and the world around them. Never a dull moment with a geek!! Smart guys that are geeky get that "aww how sweet" thing going for them in the looks department.

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    (Upper-) Austria
    Posts
    2,899

    Re: Hot Geeks

    Quote Originally Posted by ****eygirl
    My definition of geek would have to be option 2...
    However, I don't think single-minded is fair! Most "geeks" I'm acquainted with know more than technical mumbo jumbo!
    I guess my question boils down to looks or brains? I am way more attracted to smart people that cute ones. NO REALLY!
    The geek category of the smart people group is even better because of their perceptions of life and the world around them. Never a dull moment with a geek!! Smart guys that are geeky get that "aww how sweet" thing going for them in the looks department.
    Your definiton is not clear. There are many groups that fall between your net: For example me: Most say I am a genius on that what I am doing: Programming, logical thinking and - if I am interested in the topic - Mathematics. But I do not have good marks. Because I am lazy and to apathic and the things I do not like, and I am some kind of weird ... (miaou )... So do not forget the default: statement in your man type switch.
    I am not offering technical guidiance via email or IM
    Come on share your photo with us! CG members photo album!
    Use the Code Tags!

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    24

    Re: Hot Geeks

    Quote Originally Posted by NoHero
    Your definiton is not clear. There are many groups that fall between your net: For example me: Most say I am a genius on that what I am doing: Programming, logical thinking and - if I am interested in the topic - Mathematics. But I do not have good marks. Because I am lazy and to apathic and the things I do not like, and I am some kind of weird ... (miaou )... So do not forget the default: statement in your man type switch.
    ??? I didn't switch? Switch where?
    There seems to be a dire need to overanalyze my question. A geek, in definition and so forth, is one who has been called such. You know what a geek is; everyone does! Movies, TV, whatever... there is a social perception and unchanging stereotype when someone utters the word "geeeeek". Webster will never be able to define it. A geek is who (s)he is.

    Ami

    So most people think you're a genius? Most people think I smile too much to have a master's degree in engineering... but I do... what do 'most people' know anyway?

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    (Upper-) Austria
    Posts
    2,899

    Re: Hot Geeks

    They know nothing. But there must be something behind it otherwise there wouldn't be any norms. To get back on the geeks: These are just fictive imaginations on how geeks should look like ... This is only prejudice and it is far away from reality. There are no geeks: There are just people with mental disseases and sometimes they are also interested in techniques. This is what a geek supposed to be. But a geek is just a look-down word that tries to catch every technique fan ... Like a base class that does not handle specified base classes. Forget the switch one...
    I am not offering technical guidiance via email or IM
    Come on share your photo with us! CG members photo album!
    Use the Code Tags!

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    24

    Re: Hot Geeks

    Quote Originally Posted by NoHero
    They know nothing. But there must be something behind it otherwise there wouldn't be any norms. To get back on the geeks: These are just fictive imaginations on how geeks should look like ... This is only prejudice and it is far away from reality. There are no geeks: There are just people with mental disseases and sometimes they are also interested in techniques. This is what a geek supposed to be. But a geek is just a look-down word that tries to catch every technique fan ... Like a base class that does not handle specified base classes. Forget the switch one...

    Fair enough...

    But I still think skinny guys with glasses who happen to be mathematically/technologically advanced who think a good time is getting together to play Halo and discuss Lord of the Rings in Klingon are a lot of fun!

    BTW: How far have you gotten in the Stinkoman game?

Page 1 of 28 123411 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Windows Mobile Development Center


Click Here to Expand Forum to Full Width




On-Demand Webinars (sponsored)