CodeGuru Home VC++ / MFC / C++ .NET / C# Visual Basic VB Forums Developer.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

"Stay hungry, stay foolish" by Steve Jobs

"UNIX is simple; it just takes a genius to understand its simplicity!"

Re: "Stay hungry, stay foolish" by Steve Jobs

Dimmy, thanks a lot for that link. Was one of the most interesting readings that I've had in a long, long time... Steve Jobs has the touch of a greath philosopher.
    Marius Bancila
    Home Page
    My CodeGuru articles

I do not offer technical support via PM or e-mail. Please use vbBulletin codes.

Great link!! Thanks man!
    I will forward it to everyone I know.
    "I rather not play football than wear Nerrazzuri shirt" - Paolo Maldini
    FORZA MILAN!!!

Ejaz is offline Elite Member Power Poster

yup..interesting indeed...I'm not read all of them though, but I think I know what he's trying to say....

I think, many people that got their best result in their degree/master/pHD usually end up working for another people...but with the great motivation(drop ut, hunger, etc) to make ourselves better, we'll become more competetive to challenge the world...Bill Gates also a drop out, right?...

of course, needless to say, the knowldge and creativity make the important roles here...what about luck?..

...???...
    ...don't blame me...when I smell nicc 'o' tyne...
    ...friends are like bras: close to your heart and there for support..

Stay Hungry. Stay Foolish.

that is a nice word of wisdom..
    Come Join This Poll Where are we from? (Ultimate)

Knowing is not enough; we must apply. Willing is not enough; we must do. - Johann Wolfgang
    An idle brain is the devil's workshop. - unknown

Quote Originally Posted by Max Payne
    Stay Hungry. Stay Foolish.

that is a nice word of wisdom..
    To be honest, I have a little problem understanding the second part of it. "Stay foolish", what does it exactly mean? I want to make sure I got it correctly...

You know, the thing that touched me the most in his speech was the story about connecting the dots. All the actions in our lives are little dots that unite to form a picture. But we never know the dots in the future. We must keep faith that they will unite with the ones we already know in a beautiful picture.
    Marius Bancila
    Home Page
    My CodeGuru articles

The way I understand it, "Stay Foolish", means never think that you know everything about something, cause there is always something you would lack in knowledge, so by staying foolish, we always hunger for more knowledge, I wanna stay foolish my whole life, so I can learn as much..at least thats the way I understand it

yep, it depends on our actions to connect the dot, and make it pretty..
    this is something similar to something I get previously, its about the 90/10 riddle. Quite an interesting reading.

The 90/10 Principle
    Author : Stephen Covey ( Management Guru)

Have you read this before?
    Discover the 90/10 Principle. It will change your life (at least the way you react to situations). What is this principle?
    10% of life is made up of what happens to you. 90% of life is decided by how you react. What does this mean?
    We really have no control over 10% of what happens to us. We cannot stop the car from breaking down. The plane will be late arriving, which throws our whole schedule off. A driver may cut us off in traffic. We have no control over this 10%. The other 90% is different. You determine the other 90%. How?
    By your reaction. You cannot control a red light., but you can control
    your reaction. Don't let people fool you; YOU can control how you react.

Let's use an example.
    You are eating breakfast with your family. Your daughter knocks over a cup of coffee onto your business shirt. You have no control over what just what happened. What happens when the next will be determined by how you react. You curse. You harshly scold your daughter for knocking the cup over. She breaks down in tears. After scolding her, you turn to your spouse and criticize her for placing the cup too close to the edge of the table. A short verbal battle
    follows. You storm upstairs and change your shirt. Back downstairs, you find your daughter has been too busy crying to finish breakfast and get ready for school. She misses the bus. Your spouse must leave immediately for work. You rush to the car and drive your daughter to school. Because you are late, you drive 40 miles an hour in a 30 mph speed limit. After a 15-minute delay and throwing $60 traffic fine away, you arrive at school. Your daughter runs
    into the building without saying goodbye. After arriving at the office
    20 minutes late, you find you forgot your briefcase. Your day has
    started terrible. As it continues, it seems to get worse and worse. You look forward to coming home, When you arrive home, you find small wedge in your relationship with your spouse and daughter.

Why?
    Because of how you reacted in the morning. Why did you have a bad day?
    A) Did the coffee cause it?
    B) Did your daughter cause it?
    C) Did the policeman cause it?
    D) Did you cause it?

The answer is " D".
    You had no control over what happened with the coffee.
    How you reacted in those 5 seconds is what caused your bad day.
    Here is what could have and should have happened.
    Coffee splashes over you. Your daughter is about to cry. You gently say,

"It's ok honey, you just need, to be more careful next time". Grabbing a towel you rush upstairs. After grabbing a new shirt and your briefcase, you come back down in time to look through the window and see your child getting on the bus. She turns and waves. You arrive 5 minutes early and cheerfully greet the staff. Your boss comments on how good the day you are having.

Notice the difference?
    Two different scenarios. Both started the same. Both ended different.
    Why? Because of how you REACTED.
    You really do not have any control over 10% of what happens. The other
    90% was determined by your reaction.

Here are some ways to apply the 90/10 principle.
    If someone says something negative about you, don't be a sponge. Let the attack roll off like water on glass. You don't have to let the negative comment affect you! React properly and it will not ruin your day. A wrong reaction could result in losing a friend, being fired, getting stressed out etc.

How do you react if someone cuts you off in traffic?
    Do you lose your temper?
    Pound on the steering wheel? A friend of mine had the steering wheel
    fall off)
    Do you curse?
    Does your blood pressure skyrocket?
    Do you try and bump them?
    WHO CARES if you arrive ten seconds later at work? Why let the cars ruin your drive?
    Remember the 90/10 principle, and do not worry about it.

You are told you lost your job. Why lose sleep and get irritated? It
    will work out. Use your worrying energy and time into finding another
    job.

The plane is late; it is going to mangle your schedule for the day. Whytake out your frustration on the flight attendant? She has no control over what is going on. Use your time to study, get to know the other passenger. Why get stressed out? It will just make
    things worse. Now you know the 90-10 principle. Apply it and you will be amazed at the results. You will lose nothing if you try it.

The 90-10 principle is incredible. Very few know and apply this
    principle. The result? Millions of people are suffering from undeserved
    stress, trials, problems and heartache. There never seem to be a success in life. Bad days follow bad days.
    Terrible things seem to be constantly happening. There is constant
    stress, lack of joy, and broken relationships. Worry consumes time.
    Anger breaks friendships and life seems dreary and is not enjoyed to the fullest. Friends are lost. Life is a bore and often seems cruel. Does
    this describe you? If so, do not be discouraged..

You can be different!
    Understand and apply the 90/10 principle.
    It CAN change your life.........!!!!!!!

Knowing is not enough; we must apply. Willing is not enough; we must do. - Johann Wolfgang

If only was that simple to control all our reactions. Anyway, I try to do that as much as I can. It's simplier on paper than in real situations.
    Marius Bancila
    Home Page
    My CodeGuru articles

Quote Originally Posted by mrRee
    Bill Gates also a drop out, right?...

of course, needless to say, the knowldge and creativity make the important roles here...what about luck?..
    All cannt be Bill Gates or Steve Jobs.

Do pepole here believe in luck?
    I think it's all being at the right place at the right time + the grace of the almighty.
    "I rather not play football than wear Nerrazzuri shirt" - Paolo Maldini
    FORZA MILAN!!!

If only was that simple to control all our reactions. Anyway, I try to do that as much as I can. It's simplier on paper than in real situations.
    yep, it won't be easy, to change completely, to say that "I have full control of my reactions". but like you said, tryng to do as much as we can, would make a big difference. At least, people around us would notice that difference..

the grace of the almighty
    I don't beleive in that. I think, we have been gifted with a wonderful thing called logical thinking.. no other animal is as capable as the human being. Call it a gift from almighty or if you are an atheist, call it simply a gift. It is for us to make use of this instead of having to rely on God's grace. That's my personal opinion , though

But, yes, sometimes , being there at the right place and right time might be true.. But, again, my belief is, it is true for a miniscule percentage of people..

life begins when you accept your fate...but not just stay with that...make a change...and use the fate as the motivation...

For me: "stay hunger" --> when we hungry...we'll become more creative to search the food...

"stay foolish" --> when we a fool...get more knowledge...

of course it is not be taken as literally words...so, be creative and seek knowledge...but again, if we fail...accept it and try again...with more creative and more knowledge...

90/10 theory is a nice thing...but we'll become a reponsive, not initiative...if somethign occurs, we'll respond to it --> responsive...
    initiative --> try to take a step beyond...if something happen, we'll respond better...

I don't know about luck...but sometimes, it really does matter

//haha...what a silly opinion I make...can't help it...I'm a silly anyway...

...???...

As for me, I don't believe in luck, as everything is destined already. GOD has prepared everything before and after, so is there a possiblity for luck? Although its already is set, future and past, we are in the middle of the process, as we are bound by time, as kirants said, using this logical thinking gift, we may proceed life... make small dots on each step and finally connect those dots, and see the picture GOD has prepared for us, ugly or pretty..

yes, you're right...
    but we still can change it, right?...God had given us the will to change ourselves...if we didn't make a move to change it, so we're just waiting the fate to be occured...bad or good...I think, every religion says this..

...???...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast