CodeGuru Home VC++ / MFC / C++ .NET / C# Visual Basic VB Forums Developer.com

Thread: Choppy GUI

Choppy GUI

I have developed a program using the Qt library for my GUI. I had been using borland to compile my program, but due to a need for non-borland compatible libraries in another project I have switched over to MSVC++ .Net. I did not get the full visual studio package so I do NOT have the optimized compiler.

My problem is the GUI tends to be a bit choppy. Moving a dialog box around creates a tail effect. Using the full screen button, the window immediately filles up the full screen, but the Qt widgets will not reposition themsleves without a second delay or so.

I did not have this problem at all with borland, so I am pretty sure the problem lays with MSVC++. I do not know if the optimized vs. non-optimized compiler is creating a problem.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Re: Choppy GUI

First thing to check is: are you sure you are building a release build in MSVC++ and not a debug build? Are you linking with the release builds of the QT libraries?

Second, the full optimizing C++ compiler is available free of charge from the Microsoft site
    Marc Gregoire - NuonSoft (http://www.nuonsoft.com)
    My Blog
    Wallpaper Cycler 3.5.0.97

Author of Professional C++, 4th Edition by Wiley/Wrox (includes C++17 features)
    ISBN: 978-1-119-42130-6
    [ http://www.facebook.com/professionalcpp ]

It turns out that the library I use that allows me to display a visualization from the vtk library in a qt window was the culprit. When I remove that from my project everything runs fine. (But of course, my project is now absolutely worthless).

I was building a release build and today I did grab the optimizing compiler and overwrite the non-optimizing files, but still had the problem.

My system is in need of reformatting, so I think I will go ahead and do that which will give me a chance to rebuild qt and vtk and make sure I have it all in release mode.

Thanks for the help.

How do I find out if the compiler I'm using is the "optimized" compiler? I have VC++ standard edition.