CodeGuru Home VC++ / MFC / C++ .NET / C# Visual Basic VB Forums Developer.com

java ide recommendation

most of the time I am using VS.NET 2003/5 and I am looking for a similar ide for java.
    does anybody know a better IDE than Eclipse (www.eclipse.org) and NetBeans (http://www.netbeans.org/) for developing in java?

thanks,
    Tal.

Re: java ide recommendation

DevSquare - Online Application Developement
    www.devsquare.com

Huh!? Better than Eclipse? Hmmm.... I'm curious...

Quote Originally Posted by Magus
    Huh!? Better than Eclipse? Hmmm.... I'm curious...
    Eclipse? Better than NetBeans!

I've used bluej, netbeans, and jgrasp and have found all three easy to use.

JBuilderX is nice too

Go and get NetBeans5. Good and user friendly

Hi, I have used JDeveloper from Oracle (its free) and recently moved to Eclipse. If you have used .NET Visual Studio you will find JDeveloper easy to use. But Eclipse is one of the best out there (thats my view).

Smile Re: java ide recommendation

http://www.jcoder.com/download.html

I've tried this JAVA ide. I think it's user friendly and easy to use. It's free.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

In my opinion use Eclipse for every day coding and Netbeans for Swing apps. Personally I think this combination is the best.

IntelliJ, JDeveloper? are you kidding? lol What do Oracle guys know about real programming anyway.... .

dlorde is offline Elite Member Power Poster

At work we got all the experienced developers to evaluate the leading Java IDEs and ended up with the majority favouring IntelliJ. This was about 4 years ago, so a lot has changed, but all the IDEs have improved in their own ways. Each has certain strengths for different areas of development, so you really have to make the decision based on what you want to use it for, and how well its workflow fits with your way of thinking. Most of our people found Eclipse's perspectives a little counter-intuitive - probably because they hadn't used tools that work that way before. They all agreed that IntelliJ had the best coding assistance. If we'd wanted a GUI designer, we'd probably have used Netbeans Matisse... and so forth. Even now, some developers switch between environments according to their requirements. I can't do this, to me it feels like changing to a different keyboard layout

Horses for courses, and what you're comfortable with may outweigh a lot of fancy features. Of course, the fact that some IDEs are commercial and need licensing and some are free, also weighs in the balance.

The tools we use have a profound (and devious!) influence on our thinking habits, and, therefore, on our thinking abilities...
    E. Dijkstra
    Last edited by dlorde; June 5th, 2008 at 07:26 PM.
    Please use [CODE]...your code here...[/CODE] tags when posting code. If you get an error, please post the full error message and stack trace, if present.

I use MyEclipse and it help me a lot of in develop Java app.

I don't see how you could get anything better than Eclipse.....

Quote Originally Posted by themoffster
    I don't see how you could get anything better than Eclipse.....

You can't! once you get used to the keyboard shortcuts, and create custom perspectives for different views / languages you're set. There's huge plugin development for Eclipse, great for SVN, Flex, C/C++, Ant support built-in. I must say that for a while I did try out NetBeans and it was very nice for outputting UML diagrams / etc. automatically based on your code, very useful to show someone visually the 'big picture', but the code refactoring, and plugins that Eclipse has can't be beat.

Like everyone else, it's just preference, but I'd say Eclipse & NetBeans are definately the 2 best out there. They are both nice once you customize them.