CodeGuru Home VC++ / MFC / C++ .NET / C# Visual Basic VB Forums Developer.com

Export to pdf bug? "Error detected by export DLL"

Hello everyone.

I seem to have run across a bug in Crystal Reports for Visual Studio .NET 2003 relating to exporting Crystal Reports containing images in subreports.

I have displayed many bitmaps from my database successfully on other pages, but I am getting errors when I display the bitmaps within a linked sub-report and export it to a pdf.

The error returned is:

Error in File C:\DOCUME~1\GBS01\ASPNET\LOCALS~1\Temp\temp_c2b9e106-4c7b-4ffe-adaa-97fc6e2c088e.rpt: Error detected by export DLL:
    Description: An unhandled exception occurred during the execution of the current web request. Please review the stack trace for more information about the error and where it originated in the code.

Exception Details: CrystalDecisions.CrystalReports.Engine.ExportException: Error in File C:\DOCUME~1\GBS01\ASPNET\LOCALS~1\Temp\temp_c2b9e106-4c7b-4ffe-adaa-97fc6e2c088e.rpt: Error detected by export DLL:

Source Error:

Line 132: MemoryStream oStream; // using System.IO
    Line 133:
    Line 134: oStream = (MemoryStream)
    Line 135: oRpt.ExportToStream(
    Line 136: CrystalDecisions.Shared.ExportFormatType.PortableDocFormat);

I have installed Crystal Reports for Visual Studio .NET 2003 Service Pack 1 and 2, as well as the hotfix.

I have done some searches and it seems that others have run into the same problem, but I have not found a single account of anyone actually fixing the problem.

Here is some specific information about how and when the error occurs:

If I remove the image from the report, and do nothing else, the report works.

I can display all of the other data within the record, other than the bitmap, so the database is linked correctly.

If I create the same report as a stand-alone report, it works.

If I go into the "Subreport links" screen and uncheck "Select data in subreport based on field: UserTable.UT_ID" the report works and I can see the images, however, the report is no longer linked correctly.

If I display the report as HTML in the Crystal Report viewer, it works, but some of the bitmaps are missing (placeholders with a "X" in the top corner". I suspect this is related to the same problem.

I can successfully output the report to a word document.

So in conclusion, I can say that there is problem relating to displaying bitmaps in a sub-report that has been linked on a field and exporting it to pdf.

Does anyone have any idea what is wrong, or any suggestions on what I should do?

Thanks.
    Last edited by pkfgimpy; November 28th, 2005 at 05:23 PM.

Re: Export to pdf bug? "Error detected by export DLL"

i have a prolem with export pdf my self..with the crystal report designer when i want to export it as pdf..it gives me a failed to export error..i have tried everything and cannot solve this problem..i installed re-installed..but still have this error..did u come across this problem

Yours sounds like a different problem.

So has anybody ever experienced anything like this or have any advice for me?

Some advice, I've encountered these problems before.

Check what these guys have to say:
    http://forums.belution.com/en/crystal/000/006/49s.shtml

The last time I fixed this was when I used incompatible fonts, I changed it to Arial and the report worked.

Shame that Crystal has so many problems...

If you guys solve it, can you please post your solution. Thanks!

HI, I had the same problem with my app. Some Reports work well and another one not.

In my case I changed the Font "STONE" for something more classic (Arial) and the reports start to work well.

Apparently this Font has some conflict with Crystal Report export routine.

I work with MS Visual Studio .NET 2003.

Regards
    JuanMtl

Hi pkfgimpy, I think your problem at bitmap in report.
    Are you store bitmap in database with Blob field type? Are you sure this field not NULL?
    If satisfy conditions above report will be exported success.

Another idea (and problem I had to figure out):

When this error occurs and your report has been running well before hand, check if you have added a new field to the report. If so, try to remove the field and see if the error occurs again.

I had a text field. I had to modify the stored procedure so that it returned null if the length was zero. This fixed the problem. I wish crystal had some better error messages.

Hi all,
    i too got the same problem
    the solution for this is, u have to install a new servicepack which is available at
    ftp://ftp1.businessobjects.com/outgo...et11win_en.zip

after installing this servicepack just restart ur system, ur application wil works fine without changing any font or anything else.

this is the link for the new merge modules

http://support.businessobjects.com/d...modules.asp#04

thank u,
    Naresh Bojja.