CodeGuru Home VC++ / MFC / C++ .NET / C# Visual Basic VB Forums Developer.com

Hybrid View

boost::serialization with boost::any

Hi there.

Has any of you found a generic method of making boost::any serializable? The net doesn't provide anything more than a couple of unfinished ideas, as far as I have searched.

Exampla code:
    Code:
    #include <boost/any.hpp>
    #include <boost/config.hpp>
    #include <boost/archive/xml_iarchive.hpp>
    #include <boost/archive/xml_oarchive.hpp>

int main()
    {
       boost::any a;
       a = ...[insert some value here];
       std::ofstream ofs("C:\\fiel.xml");
       boost::archive::xml_oarchive oa(ofs);
       oa << BOOST_SERIALIZATION_NVP(a);
       return 0;
    }
    Of course, one could modify boost::any. That's not my first option, to be honest.

Any ideas, thoughts?
    Gabriel, CodeGuru moderator

Forever trusting who we are
    And nothing else matters
    - Metallica

Learn about the advantages of std::vector.

Re: boost::serialization with boost::any

Boost serialisation does provide means of serialising objects which were not not desigened to be compatible with that library. You may have a look at implementation of that functionality for std::vector or boost::shared_ptr (files are in boost serialisation folder).
    This mechanism is described in boost serialisation documentation as well.

Re: boost::serialization with boost::any

Quote Originally Posted by DragForce
    Boost serialisation does provide means of serialising objects which were not not desigened to be compatible with that library. You may have a look at implementation of that functionality for std::vector or boost::shared_ptr (files are in boost serialisation folder).
    This mechanism is described in boost serialisation documentation as well.

Hi.

Am am of course aware that boost::serialization offers non-intrusive serialization for a large number of well known constructs, like std::vector or boost::shared_ptr.

However, there is no (official) method for serializing boost::any. I was hopping that someone here has found a (more or less) generical method for that, as I didn't want to begin ym own attempt.

The issue has been discussed on the boost mailing list, but, as I said, to no more than some ideas. One can hope that a future release of boost will cover the issue.

In the meanwhile, I see three options:
    • write an own implementation, that covers strictly the needs of my project (i.e. non-generic)
    • drop boost::any and use something else, like boost::variant or an own construct
    • attempt an own gnerical implementation and upload it to the boost vault, hoping that it gets accepted

I dislike the first option because of aesthetical reasons The third option is rather time consuming, and would mean a digression in my project. The second option is probably the most pragmatical one...
    Gabriel, CodeGuru moderator

Forever trusting who we are
    And nothing else matters
    - Metallica

Learn about the advantages of std::vector.