CodeGuru Home VC++ / MFC / C++ .NET / C# Visual Basic VB Forums Developer.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: VB6 vs VB.NET

VB6 vs VB.NET

I notice a few members of this forum are also VB.NET developers

I am starting to dable in VB.NET, and am wondering about the current state of .NET

Is .Net less stable than VB6 ?

Have you experienced any improvements by working in .NET ?
    eg, Ease of programming - Development Time

Are there any major down sides of working with .Net (apart from the decompiling possibilities)

Thanks

Re: VB6 vs VB.NET

Well, it's different than VB6, which has been modeled after the Basic language, which has been around for decades. It is more powerful than VB6, and has more included options, such as deploying to handheld computers, which make it nice.

It is new, and has overcome some obstacles since it was developed. Now, it uses v 2.0 of the Net Framework, which is getting more powerful with each release.

There is no doubt that VB6 will be dying off, although some argue how long it will take, but it looks like VB.Net will be around for a long time.
    David

CodeGuru Article: Bound Controls are Evil-VB6
    2013 Samples: MS CODE Samples

CodeGuru Reviewer
    2006 Dell CSP
    2006, 2007 & 2008 MVP Visual Basic
    If your question has been answered satisfactorily, and it has been helpful, then, please, Rate this Post!

Here's my 2 cents..

VB.NET is great, but it works quite different to VB6 in many aspects. It's got a lot of VC++ and Java similarites, IMO.
    VB.NET is class based, so the form is actually a class
    Of course there are a lot of new properties and controls as well (have a look in my signature, where I do camparison between VB6 and VB.NET objects)

Quote Originally Posted by dglienna
    ...such as deploying to handheld computers...
    The framework running on a handheld? I shudder to think...

That brings to mind one possible difference - speed. Those who have been working with VB6 often find the slowness to be a hindrance. From what I've been reading thus far, .net suffers in this area as well. Perhaps even moreso, as some compare it to Java. I can't speak from experience, but those who have converted some VB6 stuff to .net should be able to relate some actual statistics.
    Please remember to rate the posts and threads that you find useful.
    How can something be both new and improved at the same time?

Quote Originally Posted by WizBang
    The framework running on a handheld? I shudder to think...
    Well, that uses the .NET Compact Framework

Also, if you want to write good solid code in .NET dont just start knocking code out like many people have done with VB6.

Take time to plan code properly and Get totally familiar with OO techniques first. Only then will you appreciate .NET over VB6.
    If you find my answers helpful, dont forget to rate me

Quote Originally Posted by HanneSThEGreaT
    Well, that uses the .NET Compact Framework
    Ah. Interesting.

I haven't looked into developing for handheld devices. I wonder how the different platforms compare for speed and memory.

Quote Originally Posted by WizBang
    I wonder how the different platforms compare for speed and memory.
    Here's an interesting article about the .NEt Compact Framework, in which it does some comaprisons on speed etc.

http://www.informit.com/guides/conte...eqNum=302&rl=1

Have a look at this Wizbang - this may just convert you to .Net !

http://www.codeguru.com/video/article.php/c11447

(Thanks for all the comments, guys !)

I have made the switch to .net, and the first thing I would like to say is that VB6 and VB.net are 2 different languages. Yes vb.net still uses many of the VB stylings and syntax, but that is where the similarities end. Everything in VB.net is a an object. As far as speed is concerned, I have found that after a .net app has beening running, it is ultimately faster (although I have no behcmark data to support this it just seems to be.) .Net apps compile at run time, so when you instance an object such as a form for the first time, it needs to compile first, and you see a lag. After that how ever it doesn't require compiling again so long as the app isn't closed. A few great things about .net; it take far less lines of code to do the same thing in VB6, true inheritance and multi-threading are supported, most API calls used in VB6 are not longer needed as they are contained in the framwork, and if a .net app encounters an unhandled exception (error) in many cases the app does not quit. My developement time is shorter, and I think the .net apps are more stable. I'm not sure of the internal workings of it, but if a VB6 app has an unhandled error it terminates, where as many times the .net app continues to run.
    just my 2cents
    Thank you for your support.
    -Bartyles & James (circa 1980)

If it helps, rate it
    if it doesn't, well....I tried

Check out Windows Embedded XP. It's XP compontnetized: add only the components you need to build an OS

And in knowing that you know nothing, that makes you the smartest of all.
    - Socrates (469 BC - 399 BC)

Quote Originally Posted by dglienna
    Now, it uses v 2.0 of the Net Framework, which is getting more powerful with each release.
    While VB.NET is certainly better for developers, there's a huge customer base of end users that would rather have their fingers smashed in a car door than have the Net Framework installed on their computers.

-pickles

Quote Originally Posted by ExtraPickles
    While VB.NET is certainly better for developers, there's a huge customer base of end users that would rather have their fingers smashed in a car door than have the Net Framework installed on their computers.

-pickles
    For now downloading and installing the framework is a pain, but it'll be a moot point in a year or so.
    Thank you for your support.
    -Bartyles & James (circa 1980)

If it helps, rate it
    if it doesn't, well....I tried

Check out Windows Embedded XP. It's XP compontnetized: add only the components you need to build an OS

And in knowing that you know nothing, that makes you the smartest of all.
    - Socrates (469 BC - 399 BC)

Quote Originally Posted by ExtraPickles

-pickles
    LOL! I know I'll never do .net. Being that my target is not a proprietary company server, but a wide distribution, there's no way I would or could use it. As far as I can see, its place is similar to Java.

Quote Originally Posted by kebo
    .Net apps compile at run time, so when you instance an object such as a form for the first time, it needs to compile first, and you see a lag. After that how ever it doesn't require compiling again so long as the app isn't closed.
    That's basically the way objects in VB work. Class modules load when needed, so you may see the initial lag the first time. Once in memory, they also stay until the app terminates.

Quote Originally Posted by George1111
    Have a look at this Wizbang - this may just convert you to .Net !
    Nah. I can't be assimilated! (see above)

Quote Originally Posted by kebo
    For now downloading and installing the framework is a pain, but it'll be a moot point in a year or so.
    Are you sure about that? See this post: http://www.codeguru.com/forum/showthread.php?t=381627

It's not the act of downloading or updating the framework, it's the having it installed at all aspect that turns huge numbers of people off.

Also as a perfectly classic example of .Net turning people off take a look at the negative response to ATI's Catalyst Control Center... huge numbers of people won't even touch an ATI video card now over something as simple as requiring that the framework be installed which could have been avoided.

I've been dabbling with .Net just attempting to stay somewhat current but I'll quit using VB6 when they pry the IDE from my cold dead fingertips heh.

-pickles

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast