CodeGuru Home VC++ / MFC / C++ .NET / C# Visual Basic VB Forums Developer.com
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: VB6 vs VB.NET

Re: VB6 vs VB.NET

Quote Originally Posted by ExtraPickles
    I'll quit using VB6 when they pry the IDE from my cold dead fingertips
    ROTFL

Extrapickles wins the CodeGuru comedy awards. Brilliant stuff!

It's not the act of downloading or updating the framework, it's the having it installed at all aspect that turns huge numbers of people off.
    Yep. I agree totally. Like having some software phone home without asking permission, or having to validate an installation of xp, etc. There's a certain feeling of being controlled/giving up identity that is quite objectionable. The freedom to choose is highly valued. Being forced into something, even if you might be willing when given a choice, makes one want to resist. That's one main reason why The Borg was a hit with Star Trek fans.
    ...I'll quit using VB6 when they pry the IDE from my cold dead fingertips heh.
    Well stated indeed.
    Please remember to rate the posts and threads that you find useful.
    How can something be both new and improved at the same time?

Hi Guys !

Love all the comments - got more than I expected - thanks!

So .... For the new killer app I want to develop, I get the feeling that half of you would go with VB.NET and half with VB6

Now, I know nothing about VB.NET - so how long does it take to learn how to use it ?

As stated - it's almost a totally new language - object oriented - etc

How is this VB6 mid-level programmer going to go ?

My gut feeling tells me its going to be an uphill climb for about 6 months ??

@George: Based on what my personal experience, it's going to take a while, I can't precisely pinpoint how long, but some time. Each language is different, and each got it's own pros and cons. I think the toughest would be to get use to how .NEt handles objects etc, I mean the properties and methods of the controls, you can quickly learn just by "playing" around with them. The more you learn, the more you will want to learn (like any other language I suppose).
    At the end of the day, to do normal day to day things not too complicated - it shouldn't take you too long to learn. ONLY when you want to delve deeper to more complicated things, then a bit longer.

File handling (using streamreaders and streamwriters), won't be too complicated, btw, you can still use old methods to read and write normal files - but then again, you get XMLStreamReaders and XMLStreamWriters etc.

Working with Databases, ADO, changed quite a bit with ADO.NET - now all of a sudden you have DataAdapter, and DataSet objects making your life easier, but I'm still battling with some things as well

Summary:
    I would say, it's going to depend on how much your willing to put to VB.NET, and your seriousness with your studies.

Just Another 2 cents from me

I'd equate it to going from a Black-and-White programming World to a True-Bit Color world. Same thing, but in different colors.

Not impossible to understand, but just different. The future looks good to me!
    David

CodeGuru Article: Bound Controls are Evil-VB6
    2013 Samples: MS CODE Samples

CodeGuru Reviewer
    2006 Dell CSP
    2006, 2007 & 2008 MVP Visual Basic
    If your question has been answered satisfactorily, and it has been helpful, then, please, Rate this Post!

Hi,

It took me about 2-3 months to get comfortable enough with .net to feel like I knew vb.net as well as I knew vb6. It's a steep learning curve at first, but after you get over the initial shock and hatred of namespaces thing get so much easier to do in .net than in VB6.
    One of the more difficult concepts about .net are namespaces. Every object in .net (and everything in .net is an object) is contained in a namespace, and you need to know what the namespace is in order to use the functions or inherit the objects. Also the IDE help is far different and takes getting use to. My advice....get your hands on a copy of vs2005 (or if you must vs2003) and let it convert some simple VB6 projects and look at the resulting code. At least thats how I did it.....
    For your reference, here is a link that shows VB6/VB.net equivalent functions.
    kevin
    Thank you for your support.
    -Bartyles & James (circa 1980)

If it helps, rate it
    if it doesn't, well....I tried

Check out Windows Embedded XP. It's XP compontnetized: add only the components you need to build an OS

And in knowing that you know nothing, that makes you the smartest of all.
    - Socrates (469 BC - 399 BC)

I'd love to get into .NET but as a commerical developer, I'm stuck with VB6 because all of the products we make and sell are written in VB6, and non of our customers has, as yet, expressed any desire to see a .NET version.

One thing that is very different between the two is memory managment. In VB.net you don't have any pointers. This is one of the reaons why I haven't switched yet. The other reason is having to deploy the .net framework.

Does any one know how much memory one has to have to have a small program run under the .net framework?

In any event(no pun intended), Jamsa's "Visual Basic .Net" book does a pretty good job of walking you through the basics. Don't kid your self, you are not going to learn it in weekend. A plus side is that it's a lot easier to do multithread apps.

Well Wizbang, I think you are right !

I started this thread at the beginning of my quest into Vb.net.

I have bashed my concrete head up against Vb.Net for about 6 months now, and have finally come to the conclusion that it is just too slow. The promise of new technologies to be able to drag fields and prompts onto forms just dazzled me ... until I ran the programs. I just can't get my head around clicking on a form (for the first time) and waiting for it to compile (or whatever it is doing - sometimes can sit there for several seconds). And it varies for even the same form - one day it will be 1 second - the next it might be 5 or 6 seconds - and I have no control over this !

The user experience is a bit like the way videos played on computers back in 1995 - just .. a ..... bit .... jumpy ... a .. n.. d ... just too slow.

Or its like a constipated dog which just cant get it out ! (joke)

I presume in years to come when we have 25GHZ quadrupple processors on every box and 16GB ram on board as standard (because it will cost $2), it might be acceptable - in the meantime, I need to make a living in this world making customers happy, and VB.Net is not the right choice for me today - pity.

Unfortunately there is still an abundance of Celeron and low ram and low ghz P4s in the user marketplace which were only purchased a couple of years back - Vb.Net not only causes a complete overhaul of my programming practices but also requires most users to upgrade their complete hardware .. Huh ?

I also have a case with a Vb.Net package which is slow no matter how much hardware you throw at it - like core 2 duo processors with 4GB ram - still slow !

Maybe in about 3-5 years is my guess ... ??

Love to hear what else you Vb.Net gurus have discovered on this subject.

I'm by no means a guru

But there are ways to make your applications startup faster. Like NGen.exe - Native Image Generator ( I think in one of your .NET posts, we spoke about that ). The rest of the inner workings of your applications, should actually be quicker. I've heared many claiming ADO.NET is much slower than ADO, but, on that topic specifically, I beg to differ. Since I switched to ADO.NET ( Specifically ), I've had no performance loss ( which I'm very much thankful for ).
    But, as I said, normal application tasks is not slower than VB 6, really, it isn't.
    At the end of the day, IMHO, the speed & performance of your app, depends on the design. For example using threads at the appropriate places can help.

My 2 cents....

Are you talking about in the IDE? or compiled. Things that I've compiled were just as fast as vb6 apps. Especially DB stuff.

If you deploy .Net, you can mix .Net code in with you vb6 app to get the best of both languages. You can keep replacing code sections untill it doesn't use vb6 at all.
    David

CodeGuru Article: Bound Controls are Evil-VB6
    2013 Samples: MS CODE Samples

CodeGuru Reviewer
    2006 Dell CSP
    2006, 2007 & 2008 MVP Visual Basic
    If your question has been answered satisfactorily, and it has been helpful, then, please, Rate this Post!

Quote Originally Posted by George1111
    I have bashed my concrete head up against Vb.Net for about 6 months now, and have finally come to the conclusion that it is just too slow. The promise of new technologies to be able to drag fields and prompts onto forms just dazzled me ... until I ran the programs. I just can't get my head around clicking on a form (for the first time) and waiting for it to compile (or whatever it is doing - sometimes can sit there for several seconds). And it varies for even the same form - one day it will be 1 second - the next it might be 5 or 6 seconds - and I have no control over this !
    Well I will have to disagree here. It may execute slow on older machines, but as you know any new software that is usually developed targets new hardware and architecture. Which means that these programs/software are bound to run slow on machines like P-III. If you are talking about compile times then that should not bother you. VB 6 necver performed a full compile when you executed the program from within the IDE. VB 6 only performs full compile when you press Ctrl+F5. And if you observe this process also takes some time.

VB.NET performs a full compile before executing a program from within the IDE, this might be the reason why it takes more time.

Or its like a constipated dog which just cant get it out ! (joke)

I presume in years to come when we have 25GHZ quadrupple processors on every box and 16GB ram on board as standard (because it will cost $2), it might be acceptable - in the meantime, I need to make a living in this world making customers happy, and VB.Net is not the right choice for me today - pity.

Unfortunately there is still an abundance of Celeron and low ram and low ghz P4s in the user marketplace which were only purchased a couple of years back - Vb.Net not only causes a complete overhaul of my programming practices but also requires most users to upgrade their complete hardware .. Huh ?
    You should also consider taking a look at the design of the applications. I have observed this that people like me (coming from VB 6 background) do try to do stuff in .NET the VB 6 way at times, which in turn makes the .NET program performance little bit bad.

Quote Originally Posted by dglienna
    If you deploy .Net, you can mix .Net code in with you vb6 app to get the best of both languages. You can keep replacing code sections untill it doesn't use vb6 at all.
    And you can use InterOp Forms toolkit to achieve that too.

So .... For the new killer app I want to develop, I get the feeling that half of you would go with VB.NET and half with VB6

Now, I know nothing about VB.NET - so how long does it take to learn how to use it ?

How is this VB6 mid-level programmer going to go ?

My gut feeling tells me its going to be an uphill climb for about 6 months ??
    Well George its not so bad.. It does take a little getting used to..

Point no 1 DO NOT USE THE PROJECT UPGRADER.. if you have a VB6 app, rather rewrite in .NET..

Thats exactly what i'm doing with the IP Chat app (See my sig) the VB.NET syntax is the same as VB6, and most 6 methods work in .NET, but .Net has better methods to do the same, Often even in a single line of code..

Example... Take two Byte arrays and merge into a single Byte Array..

VB6 : 4 or 5 lines of code, including a loop..

VB.NET : Single command - [Array].copyto ([detination array],[start position]

In my effort to learn VB.NET, I'm trying not to use methods learnt for VB6 but find the new stuff they packed into .NET to do it quicker , like in the above example. The copyto execution time is far faster than any loop code can be optimised..

I've been working on .NET for about 6 months now, and am still a relative begginer on it, but i'm plowing through and am determined to learn it..

Also I whould suggest that your first project in .NET be a rewrite of something small that you already have in VB6. This way you can compare methods, and always know what you supposed to have at the end..

Okay enough said...

Gremmy...
    Articles VB6 : Break the 2G limit - Animation 1, 2 VB.NET : 2005/8 : Moving Images , Animation 1 , 2 , 3 , User Controls
    WPF Articles : 3D Animation 1 , 2 , 3
    Code snips: VB6 Hex Edit, IP Chat, Copy Prot., Crop, Zoom : .NET IP Chat (V4), Adv. ContextMenus, click Hotspot, Scroll Controls
    Find me in ASP.NET., VB6., VB.NET , Writing Articles, My Genealogy, Forum
    All VS.NET: posts refer to VS.NET 2008 (Pro) unless otherwise stated.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12