CodeGuru Home VC++ / MFC / C++ .NET / C# Visual Basic VB Forums Developer.com

.NET Framework General: What are .NET data types?

Q: What are .NET data types?

A: The .NET Framework provides an extensive system of types that allow you to store, manipulate and pass values between members of your application. The .NET Framework is strongly typed, meaning that objects of one type cannot be freely exchanged with objects from another type. Implicit and explicit conversions allow you to convert data types when necessary.

• .NET data types can be broken down into the following subcategories:

• Integer types
      • Floating-Point Types
      • Non-Numeric data types such as:

• Boolean
        • Char
        • String
        • Object

• Can I have an explanation of integer data types?

Integer data types store whole numbers only. The following lists the integer data types.

Note: The difference between 'System.Int16' (for example) and 'System.UInt16' is that 'System.Int16' can accept negative and positive numbers; 'System.UInt16' can accept positive numbers only.

• Can I have an explanation of floating-point types?

Three floating types can be used to represent numbers that have a fractional component:

• Can I have an explanation of the 'System.Boolean' data type?

The 'System.Boolean' represents a value that is either true or false. This data type is commonly used to evaluate certain conditions, such as:

• Is the Password Correct?
      • Has the file completed loading?

• Can I have an explanation of the 'System.Char' data type?

The 'System.Char' data type represents a single instance of a 16-bit unicode character.

• Can I have an explanation of the 'System.String' data type?

The 'System.String' data type represents a series of 'char' data types. A string can contain a word, a paragraph, any string of characters.

• Can I have an explanation of the 'System.Object' data type?

The System.Object' type is the supertype of all types in the .NET Framework. Every type derives from from 'System.Object'. You can assign any object or value to an object variable.

Last edited by Andreas Masur; May 20th, 2006 at 09:33 AM.