CodeGuru Home VC++ / MFC / C++ .NET / C# Visual Basic VB Forums Developer.com
Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast

Resource greedy ads

My athlon 1400 is struggling to animate all those geared people and flying clocks in the ads. It's almost all computing time going there, text I'm typing right now is displayed on screen with about one second delay. Just thinking maybe it's not a Good Thing... Sure I can find a tool to disable ads, but I'm sure it's not goal of those who put them on in the first place.
    "Programs must be written for people to read, and only incidentally for machines to execute."

Re: Resource greedy ads

Thanks for mentioning the greedy ad. We report these to our ad people so they can get the company providing the ad to revamp them. As such, reporting these ads is appreciated. (The mods also report these when they see them).

Brad!
    -----------------------------------------------
    Brad! Jones,
    Yowza Publishing
    LotsOfSoftware, LLC

When some of these Ads are displayedin the Page I can't even open a second Tab in FireFox. And when I am using IE I don't get the Popup menu itself.

I have a URL for the ad in question. I just managed to shut off the laptop fan and not pin procc's at 100% all day. Another one came up in its place and things are getting noisy again.
    David

CodeGuru Article: Bound Controls are Evil-VB6
    2013 Samples: MS CODE Samples

CodeGuru Reviewer
    2006 Dell CSP
    2006, 2007 & 2008 MVP Visual Basic
    If your question has been answered satisfactorily, and it has been helpful, then, please, Rate this Post!

Seems like the system is running at very high speeds. The fan runs on high constantly, which isn't good. It seems like Kernel usage is also getting pinned at 100%. Closing FX and rebooting don't help.

Seems like I have to click a link, and then click it a second time before the page gets returned. Keyrate seems a little delayed, also.

I'm about to switch to the Vista drive, to check out the site using IE 7.0 Beta.

EDIT: Everything is smooth running in Vista, and temps are low. Might be some of the plug-ins installed with Fx.

EDIT2: Fx just crashed after trying to load a page. Also, major lags with access.
    Last edited by dglienna; June 18th, 2006 at 01:07 PM.
    David

CodeGuru Reviewer
    2006 Dell CSP
    If your question has been answered satisfactorily, and it has been helpful, then, please, Rate this Post!

The Ad that says "Take Back Control" from IBM actually takes the control of the IE/FireFox. It just shoots up the CPU Utilization to above 60%. And right now I getting so irrated with this Ad, even if I referesh/logoff and login back, it still comes up on one of the pages.

Can we atleast have this particular Ad blocked alongwith the one that shows so many Clocks.

The problem seems to be with "2mdn.net" site that is overloaded it stops my pages from loading...the IBM add that takes up 1/4 witdh and almost full height of a 1280X1024 screen is TERRIBLE...give us a TEXT ONLY option for adds...loading all these adds in macromedia is terrible.
    Jim
    ATP BE400 CE500 (C550B-SPW) CE560XL MU300 CFI CFII

"The speed of non working code is irrelevant"... Of course that is just my opinion, I could be wrong.

"Nothing in the world can take the place of persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination are omnipotent. The slogan 'press on' has solved and always will solve the problems of the human race."...Calvin Coolidge 30th President of the USA.

I was wondering why my system was seeming sluggish when I visited the forums. I checked and it often will peg my CPU at 100% usage. Clicking on the "Click Here to Expand Forum to Full Width" hides the ad, but the CPU usage still remains high.

I hope that this is resolved soon.

Best regards,
    John

We are aware of this issue and it is being addressed. The ads causing the issue are served from a third-party, so it is a little more difficult for us to get them fixed. We will get this resolved today, one way or another.

Brad
    Brad! Jones,
    Yowza Publishing
    LotsOfSoftware, LLC

Thanks alot Brad.

Thanks Brad...
    Jim
    ATP BE400 CE500 (C550B-SPW) CE560XL MU300 CFI CFII

"The speed of non working code is irrelevant"... Of course that is just my opinion, I could be wrong.

"Nothing in the world can take the place of persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination are omnipotent. The slogan 'press on' has solved and always will solve the problems of the human race."...Calvin Coolidge 30th President of the USA.

I don't know if it was fixed, or not, but since I've changed my processor priority back to normal, things have been working well. No crashes so far.

Thanks.
    David

CodeGuru Reviewer
    2006 Dell CSP

I've noticed the same thing. It's pretty hard not to notice when firefox takes up %97-%99 of CPU resources when the ads are open.

Seems to be ok once you click the "Click here to expand forum" link.
    Microsoft LVP - Least Valuable Professional

Please rate this post... Pleeeeeeaaassee!!!

The ads were removed last night until the ad agency can get them fixed. If you see one show up that uses 100% resources again, let me know. (I already reported one that slipped through this morning, but I've not seen it again).

Brad!
    Brad! Jones,
    Yowza Publishing
    LotsOfSoftware, LLC

Just saw "Take back control" big IMB ad on the right with fog that takes 100% of 3GHz P4.
    "Programs must be written for people to read, and only incidentally for machines to execute."

Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast