CodeGuru Home VC++ / MFC / C++ .NET / C# Visual Basic VB Forums Developer.com

What to use and learn?

Hi all. Ive been really confused over this topic so i hope you guys could help me out .

Anyway, Ive been learning C++ and am finding it fine. Now i want to start to create Windows Forms Apps but dont know what to use. I thought about using Visual C++ .NET but ive heard you have to learn Managed C++ in order to create C++ .NET forms apps. Is this true or not?Do i only need C++ Knowledge in order to start creating C++ .NET Windows Forms apps or do i need to learn Managed C++ first?

Also, Are Visual C++ 6 and Visual C++ .NET the same when it comes to coding for Windows forms app's?Also, Are Managed C++ and C++ 2 completely different languages?I downloaded Visual C++ Express 2005, and it lets me create a CLI forms app. Is this different from managed c++?Im pretty confused as you can see :P

Your help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
    Last edited by Microsoftlover; June 18th, 2006 at 09:09 PM.

Re: What to use and learn?

i new c++ and then jumped to visual c++ without much problems.
    goes without saying that you have to be able to manage pointers and classes though.
    visual c++ .net seems fine.it takes a little getting used to at first but once you 've mastered it you can do almost anything.

If your finding C++ fine, and want to create a gui in visual studio, it makes sense to go with MFC.

Thanks so much for your replies. I will try out MFC and see how its like.
    If it doesnt work out well, i may aswell go to C#.

Thanks again
    Last edited by Microsoftlover; June 19th, 2006 at 07:14 AM.