CodeGuru Home VC++ / MFC / C++ .NET / C# Visual Basic VB Forums Developer.com

Hybrid View

[RESOLVED] C# vs Managed C++

Hi,

I have programmed in C++ before .NET came and then switched to C# and liked the language. What I would like to explore is whether I have missed anything in not programming in Managed C++.

Putting it more specifically-
    1) Performance related : Do managed applications written in Managed C++ run faster than the same application written in C#?
    2) Feature set : Is there any useful features in Managed C++ which are not available in C#?

It would be nice if the Microsoft people share their thoughts on this.

Thanks,
    - Manoj Agarwal

Re: C# vs Managed C++

>>1) Performance related : Do managed applications written in Managed C++ run faster than the same application written in C#?<<

Managed code written in C++/CLI does tend to perform better than similar code written in C#, as the C++ compiler's optimization technology is more sophisticated. However, your mileage will certainly vary depending on the specific scenario.

>>2) Feature set : Is there any useful features in Managed C++ which are not available in C#?<<

Templates and deterministic finalization are two biggies, but the ability to seamlessly interoperate with native code is perhaps the most compelling feature.

Thanks,

Steve Teixeira
    Group Program Manager
    Visual C++

Thanks for your reply Steve!

About feature set- I thought C++ templates are the same as generics which C# 2.0 has. Also, do you really have deterministic finalization in managed C++? I thought the CLR doesn't support deterministic finalization.

About performance : Can you give links to any bench mark studies done for comparing the performances? I ask as this question (about performance between C# and C++) is always troubling me and I would like to explore it.

Steve- can you pl elobrate on above.

Thanks,
    - Manoj

Here are a couple of articles on the Codeguru site that I thought I'd mention since they relate to this thread:

Comparing .NET Generics and C++ Templates
    http://www.codeguru.com/columns/expe...cle.php/c7423/

STL.NET: Combining Generics and Templates

http://www.codeguru.com/columns/kate...le.php/c10297/

Brad!
    -----------------------------------------------
    Brad! Jones,
    Yowza Publishing
    LotsOfSoftware, LLC

-----------------------------------------------

And one from Brandon Bray on the same topic: