CodeGuru Home VC++ / MFC / C++ .NET / C# Visual Basic VB Forums Developer.com

Question What type of database to use?

I am building a POS system. I have done it in the past, not a big deal. But I'm wondering if there are any other databases I should use for storing data, or what you would recommend.

Access is nice for small stores running about 3-4 registers at the same time.

MS SQL is, I think the best choice however most businesses arnt going to be able to afford it, so they are subject to renting a database from an online SQL Server provider, such as JodoHost.com, or almost any other web host that provides MS SQL server databases will give you a database without a website for a cost. This poses another problem because the database is offsite and could be on the other side of the world. I don't want my program entirely based off of a database on the other side of the world because there can be some serious performance and security issues. Not to mention if their admins cant keep the server running it makes my program look bad.

I'm just not sure about XML yet, I don't know that I really trust it, and I don't know about resulting to a "file-based database". At that point I might as well use Access.

I am wondering what other ways there are to save data from a POS system, customer records, transaction records, login accounts, report data, etc... I'm just looking for another suggestion, maybe something I haven't thought of yet.

I think I would like to stay with microsoft products. I'm not sure on the reliability of MySQL. I've never used it. How does it compare to MS SQL? It may be one possible solution since I believe my clients can just download a free copy of the MySQL Server and install it on a computer. I think MySQL is completely free.

Is this forum run off of MySQL? It seems this is a very busy forum and it seems to handle well.

Then again if my program is designed right maybe I can let the client pick their database type, access, MS SQL, MySQL. Depending on their needs.

Thanks!
    Sheesh Larone
    Software Engineer, IAS 2006

I just threw back a red bull...what's your excuse? <excellerate speed=3.159> </excellerate>

Re: What type of database to use?

Hello
    Although it takes a bit of work MySql is great, free, and worthy of donations.
    Regards
    www.mysql.org
    "trampling out the vintage"

How about SQL2005 Express, its free and can be distributed royalty free. You can also download a management control for it. The only downside, is that you have to have .Net 2 installed, which somestimes causes problems with other applications eg .Net 1 applications.

HTH
    JP

Please remember to rate all postings.

Thanks for the replies.

For a commercial application I'm not sure I want to use an express edition. Its not going to support a lot of the features I require.

I'm not sure what problems you received from installing .Net 2.0 while .Net 1.0 is installed. Microsoft engineered .Net from the ground up to allow multiple installations of different versions on the same machine because of the Private/GAC.

It was one of the major marketing plusses over COM. Because of the way .Net programs (and the framework itself) are installed Microsoft gurantees there will be no compatibility issues with other versions.
    Sheesh Larone
    Software Engineer, IAS 2006

I just threw back a red bull...what's your excuse? <excellerate speed=3.159> </excellerate>

Hi Sheesh,

From what I've read on the Microsoft Web Site, they are billing SQL Server 2005 Express as a replacement project for Access.

I am currently using it, in one of my projects and am having no problems with it. It has the majority of the features that SQL Server has eg proper stored procedures, triggers etc - admitedly, it does not have the job scheduler that a full blown version of SQL Server has, and it does have a database limit of 2 gigs, but then again so does Access.

The pricing of SQL Sever 2005 standard, is aprox $699 for a five user licence, which isn't too bad, when you consider what development costs are.

How many users are you planning on running this application, and what size do you think the database will be? Also I guess the most important question, is what volume of traffic will you have over the database?

Good luck in your search.
    JP

Please remember to rate all postings.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnDavidHanna
    Although it takes a bit of work MySql is great, free, and worthy of donations.
    AFAIK, MySQL is free for development purpose, but not free for redistribution.
    Ovidiu
    "When in Rome, do as Romans do."
    My latest articles: https://codexpertro.wordpress.com/

For information on MySQL licensing...you can check it out in this URL:
    http://www.mysql.com/company/legal/licensing/

Hi
    I am using Sql Server Express Edition. It works fine. It allows databases of 4 Gb - so it depends of your application
    Daniela
    I would love to change the world, but they won't give me the source code