CodeGuru Home VC++ / MFC / C++ .NET / C# Visual Basic VB Forums Developer.com
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Re: I hate the new Promotion !

The man between the rollers one is the most terrible and funny.. Can they not just write in bold bigger font "Man rolling between Gears" instead of that graphics

Sorry.. I am just having fun. But my question to Brad would be - do you have an internal compliance test for those ads before hosting them on Codeguru.. something some data that they should abide by based on CPU usage etc? That would help reduce such complaints to a minimum setting up a compliance system.

Quote Originally Posted by exterminator
    My question to Brad would be - do you have an internal compliance test for those ads before hosting them on Codeguru.. something some data that they should abide by based on CPU usage etc? That would help reduce such complaints to a minimum setting up a compliance system.
    I believe there are a set of rules.

In almost all cases these ads are going onto sites across the web. IBM, AMD, Microsoft, all advertise on sites other than just ours . I get the impression we are the ones, however, that do most, if not nearly all, of the complaining. On the flip side, there are a number of sites I visit where the ads are more annoying and intrusive than anything we do here.

Neither of those statements justifies resource-greedy ads. I use the site too (as I say over and over), so I see them as well. I also see my CPU usage; however, even with it being high, I've not hit an issue in quite a while where the CPU usage has hurt my system's performance. But that is me, running a higher powered machine with a broadband connection...

I continue to talk to the internal people and they continue to work with the advertisors. Unfortunately, I think the complaints sometimes help fuel the ads....

Your complaints help me when talking internally about the ads, so keep them coming if they are warranted. As always, images and source helps.

Brad!
    -----------------------------------------------
    Brad! Jones,
    Yowza Publishing
    LotsOfSoftware, LLC

Yeah, your are right about them being hosted elsewhere too. Good point. But I think benchmarking them should be beneficial to all. Different sites may have different things to do - so they may affect them differently. It is a very wide thing to discuss about but that would surely provide you much peace.

May be we complain more because they are taken care of, are noticed! That is in a way an appreciation to your efforts and concern you show. We thank you!

I'm seeing much, much lower CPU usage with the ads now. I see a lower usage now than on most ads I see on other sites.

Are others seeing the same drop?

Brad!
    Brad! Jones,
    Yowza Publishing
    LotsOfSoftware, LLC

With the guy playing around with the magnet, Firefox still goes into 90s.
    With the guy just dangling from the magnet, Firefox ranges from 35-50, usually in the mid 40s.
    Without the ad? 0 but I don't care about IBM so..

And the cpu stays used even when I'm using another program.

With the Huge magnet ad, my CPU is averaging at about 4% (with other things running too). It fluxuates between 0 and 8% with a median closer to 2%. I'm using IE 7.

If I have it running in both IE7 and Firefox at the same time, it averages about 10% on CPU usage with fluxuations up and down from there.

Your numbers seem high at this point. You might have an old copy on your machine or something? (I'm reaching with this)

Brad

Quote Originally Posted by mdmd
    With the guy playing around with the magnet, Firefox still goes into 90s.
    With the guy just dangling from the magnet, Firefox ranges from 35-50, usually in the mid 40s.
    Without the ad? 0 but I don't care about IBM so..

And the cpu stays used even when I'm using another program.
    Brad! Jones,
    Yowza Publishing
    LotsOfSoftware, LLC

I tried with IE6 and its about the same. The new crane
    ad took less - 20-30%.
    Of course, this machine was made ~97 and is only 1ghz I figure most people are more blessed, Mr Dually

Well, thanx to everyone! Fx 2.0 seems to have resolved all of my problems. Just upgraded, and it took less than 5 minutes!!!

Last night, I switched to the enhanced editor, and while the window changed colors, I could never type into it, unless I used the mouse to set focus. I once waited 10 minutes!

Pages are returned at the normal expected speed for once. CPU seems to be around 10-20% with 2 tabs @ CG opened.
    David

CodeGuru Article: Bound Controls are Evil-VB6
    2013 Samples: MS CODE Samples

CodeGuru Reviewer
    2006 Dell CSP
    2006, 2007 & 2008 MVP Visual Basic
    If your question has been answered satisfactorily, and it has been helpful, then, please, Rate this Post!

Hm.. I don't see the IBM ad anymore. Is it gone ? Or, do I just have to be patient enough to see it ?

Quote Originally Posted by kirants
    Hm.. I don't see the IBM ad anymore. Is it gone ? Or, do I just have to be patient enough to see it ?
    I see an IBM Add, but it has changed and is much better then before. No troubles in the moment
    Jonny Poet

To be Alive is depending on the willingsness to help others and also to permit others to help you. So lets be alive. !
    Using Code Tags makes the difference: Code is easier to read, so its easier to help. Do it like this: [CODE] Put Your Code here [/code]
    If anyone felt he has got help, show it in rating the post.
    Also dont forget to set a post which is fully answered to 'resolved'. For more details look to FAQ's about Forum Usage. BTW I'm using Framework 3.5 and you ?
    My latest articles :
    Creating a Dockable Panel-Controlmanager Using C#, Part 1 | Part 2 | Part 3 | Part 4 | Part 5 | Part 6 | Part 7

First crash, trying to REPLY to a post. Also, I don't see any cursor with this new editor. Might switch back.
    David

CodeGuru Reviewer
    2006 Dell CSP
    If your question has been answered satisfactorily, and it has been helpful, then, please, Rate this Post!

I have got just 1 crash since I upgraded to MF 2.0. And it is my observation that usually that will happen when you are writing a post (either quick reply or the editor on "post reply").

I always thought that there were incompatibilities or stability problems with the earlier versions of MF (a perception probably not shared by many).

I had the usual 2 CG tabs open. Closed Fx. A few minute later, reopened the 2 CG tabs. Clearly lies the problem!
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    David

CodeGuru Reviewer
    2006 Dell CSP

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12