CodeGuru Home VC++ / MFC / C++ .NET / C# Visual Basic VB Forums Developer.com

Joining 2 fields into 1 Thru SQL

Is it possible utilizing a SQL statement to take 2 fields, such as firstname and lastname into another field called fullname combining the 2?

Thank you.

Re: Joining 2 fields into 1 Thru SQL

Like this?
    Code:
    SELECT lastname + ', ' + firstname as fullname 
    FROM table
    - petter

Really its that easy? I'm going to go modify my SELECT statement.

Thx

Hey that worked great. May I ask another question? Are you not allowed to have spaces when naming columns.

Your example

SELECT lastname + ', ' + firstname as fullname
    FROM table

Works perfect. I tried to give 'fullname' as 'Full Name' but generates an error, obviously because of the space, is there a way around this?

Thank you

I'm not sure if the is a standard way of doing this (not sure if I even like the idéa), but I belive that you can do this with apostophe (') or brackets ([]) in MS SQL, and back quote (`) in mySQL.

What database are you targeting?

- petter

Talking Re: Joining 2 fields into 1 Thru SQL

Long story short, I've been shortlisted for an entry level position and they have asked to provide 2 solutions as a test prior to the interview. But its for Transact SQL so I will assume Windows SQL Server.

The naming convention is not a big deal, I was just unsure how to create the one field from two thru SQL. If I couldn't do it on the fly, I was just going to add a field in the table itself and query that.

Quote Originally Posted by Shasta80
    Is it possible utilizing a SQL statement to take 2 fields, such as firstname and lastname into another field called fullname combining the 2?

Thank you.

Is this to DISPLAY the combined 2 fields or do you need to add another field to your table, called fullname, and combine the two fields? IF you need to add a new field then you would need to use the alter table command, and set up this new field. Then do a update on the new field.

use

SELECT lastname + ', ' + firstname as 'full name'
    FROM table

This works for SQL Server

Quote Originally Posted by Shasta80
    Long story short, I've been shortlisted for an entry level position and they have asked to provide 2 solutions as a test prior to the interview. But its for Transact SQL so I will assume Windows SQL Server.

The naming convention is not a big deal, I was just unsure how to create the one field from two thru SQL. If I couldn't do it on the fly, I was just going to add a field in the table itself and query that.
    use brackets []. sql server can not misunderstand

select a as [my new colname] from tab

Exclamation Re: Joining 2 fields into 1 Thru SQL

I understand you can join several fields into 1 thru SQL. Is there a way to join several records with similar ids into a table?

I have a table that holds projectIDs and Notes for each project. Another table Updates holds projectIDs and individual notes made about the project. I was wondering if there was an easy way to set Notes to the concatination of all individual notes.

You would have to run a query that used one of the JOIN options. You can select records from either one, or both tables. Then, you'd have a recordset that contained all the fields you wanted.
    David

CodeGuru Article: Bound Controls are Evil-VB6
    2013 Samples: MS CODE Samples

CodeGuru Reviewer
    2006 Dell CSP
    2006, 2007 & 2008 MVP Visual Basic
    If your question has been answered satisfactorily, and it has been helpful, then, please, Rate this Post!

Quote Originally Posted by Imdabaum
    I understand you can join several fields into 1 thru SQL. Is there a way to join several records with similar ids into a table?

I have a table that holds projectIDs and Notes for each project. Another table Updates holds projectIDs and individual notes made about the project. I was wondering if there was an easy way to set Notes to the concatination of all individual notes.

No. Turning an N-long result column into a single concatenated string with all the values requires programming logic such as stored procedure or client. If you could guarantee that there would only ever be a max of 10 notes I can give you a wordy sql that will do it, but be aware it requires significant effort, first splitting the results from a column:

#
    #
    #

into a diagonal table:
    #__
    _#_
    __#

into a flat:
    # # #

into a concatenated:
    ###

and the number of rows has to be known in advance

Be careful using "join" to mean "concatenate"
    "it's a fax from your dog, Mr Dansworth. It looks like your cat" - Gary Larson...DW1: Data Walkthroughs 1.1...DW2: Data Walkthroughs 2.0...DDS: The DataSet Designer Surface...ANO: ADO.NET2 Orientation...DAN: Deeper ADO.NET...DNU...PQ