CodeGuru Home VC++ / MFC / C++ .NET / C# Visual Basic VB Forums Developer.com

Question Need help to like Visual Studio 2005

Hi there!

This question is not perfectly related to C++ only. As you can see from the title: "I need help to like Visual Studio 2005".

Background:
    I've started off learning C++ with MFC on the good old Visual Studio 6.0. I have them pretty much used the C++ editor for everything I need.

Now:
    To follow up I've installed the Visual Studio 2005, and I'm not so happy with the editor. It look & feel like the old Interdev and I think it does do the job for C++ projects and MFC projects.
    Now I've selected the layout like C++, but I have different "window-in-window" functions and I need to use my mouse much more than I needed on god'ol 6.0

Question:
    - Are there any tips & tricks to make the editor more like the good'ol VS C++ 6.0 editor?
    - Where did the Classwizard go?
    - Why does the compiler whine about standard generated MFC projects? (Is the old MFC bad coding standard?)
    - Online MSDN is good, but really slow. Which release of MSDN do I need to get it integrated with VS 2k5?

Hopefully some experienced people can give me some tips!
    ==========================
    Lars Werner aka Large
    http://lars.werner.no/

Re: Need help to like Visual Studio 2005

Hi Lars,
    Sometimes I think I am an only person who does like Studio 2005!
    I'd love to help, but your questions are not very specific.
    1. What exactly do you miss from 6.0 editor? While installing Studio 2005, there was an option for how to set up shortcut keys (based on your previous experience), I think. Not sure, because I wanted to use it as it was designed, for 2005...
    2. Class wizard is there - everywhere. You can add a new class from context menu in Solution Explorer or Class View; in a Resource Editor, context menu for different controls lets you add a class, an event handler or variable. While in the source code editor, if your cursor is inside MESSAGE_MAP, the "Properties" window allows you to add events' or messages' handlers, overrides, etc. What exactly would you like to do?
    3. The 2005 compiler is much more standard-complient than 6.0 was, so you might get more warnings or even errors. It's "for your own good" . What exactly do you get?
    4. Didn't your studio come with MSDN? I am not sure if there is a free download now.
    Good luck, and have fun with your new Studio!
    Vlad
    Vlad - MS MVP [2007 - 2012] - www.FeinSoftware.com
    Convenience and productivity tools for Microsoft Visual Studio:
    FeinWindows - replacement windows manager for Visual Studio, and more...

Smile Re: Need help to like Visual Studio 2005

Hello Vladimir

I'm glad to se people actually like the editor. Now I dunno how much you have used the editors from VS6.0 but I assume you'd used them alot

I asked the questions non-spesific so people can describe how they work with the new tool.

1. I've set the shortcuts to C++ look-a-like, and that works. It's not what I miss because the functions are all the same (except the classwiz) but how it's handled.
    One example:
    You edit the design with the resource editor. At that moment you want to have the toolbox available, and show at all time. When you're finished you go back and start coding and the toolbox stays shown, but then it is useless, empty & takes up screenspace while editing code. (Autohide is a half-good solution, but you have to mousehandle it). Toolbars are handled by the Window shown, why isn't the toolbox with that? It worked on VS6.0

2. Well I cannot find it "everywhere" so please show me where, and some shortcuts. Now when you tell me that you find it all around, that mean mouse-clicks. The old ClassWiz collected all the classes together and let you add new classes, set membervariables and let you override windows-messages all in one window with tabs. That way you could add variables and overrides directly without leaving the sourcecode you're at. I find that much more handy.
    Browsing for the message-map is ok, but it require a quick search or is it a short-cut to get there?

3. I might be on the idea to be strickter, it might give more readable code. Casting can be a pain when you see through code with fresheyes.

4. No, I had the old MSDN from the 6.0 only. Now I think I have to get the new one, since they moved away from .chm files

Thanks for the feedback Vladimir
    Cheers
    Lars Werner aka Large

Quote Originally Posted by Large
    2. Well I cannot find it "everywhere" so please show me where, and some shortcuts. Now when you tell me that you find it all around, that mean mouse-clicks. The old ClassWiz collected all the classes together and let you add new classes, set membervariables and let you override windows-messages all in one window with tabs. That way you could add variables and overrides directly without leaving the sourcecode you're at. I find that much more handy.
    Browsing for the message-map is ok, but it require a quick search or is it a short-cut to get there?
    Let me take this one for now.
    First of all, check out the "Command Window" (View -> Other Windows -> Command Window, or Ctrl+Alt+A). You can type ANY of the studio's commands there!
    For a brand new class, type: Project.AddClass - and there comes the wizard (well, you will have to first select WHICH wizard).
    There is no shortcut key associated with this command by default, but this is very easy to fix: go to Tools -> Options, select Environment -> Keyboard; (there is a "apply the following keyboard maping scheme" with Visual C++ 6 and Visual Studio 6 as options); here you can assign shortcut keys to your liking...
    If you are in a source code file, you can use the following command to switch to the header file:
    EditorContextMenus.CodeWindow.GoToHeaderFile
    (or map it to some handy keys)
    While in the header file (but NOT in some function declaration), you can go to the Properties window (Alt+Enter), where you can use Tab to get to the toolbar, then arrow keys to select Events, Messages or Overrides.
    Yes, it's different. But is it worse? I'm sure one can get used to it... I am a "mouse" person, but see how much have I typed here?

Quote Originally Posted by VladimirF
    Hi Lars,
    Sometimes I think I am an only person who does like Studio 2005!
    No you're not but old habits don't die easily. Personally I think VS.2005 is superior.

One thing to remember though. VC6 was a C++ project manager. VS.2005 is C#/VB.NET/SQL/C++ project manager. C++ is just one language in VS.2005. C++ is not the sole purpose of VS.2005.

Hope this helps

Quote Originally Posted by marten_range
    No you're not but old habits don't die easily. Personally I think VS.2005 is superior.

One thing to remember though. VC6 was a C++ project manager. VS.2005 is C#/VB.NET/SQL/C++ project manager. C++ is just one language in VS.2005. C++ is not the sole purpose of VS.2005.
    I know, and the habbit is so grown into me. That is why I'm having problems "converting" to the new Visual Studio. I'm just going to program C++ and not .NET
    Now a days every project uses this editor, and it forces me to move on

I know that this editor is created for every language Microsoft support, and I think they've created comprimises. Whats good in C# arn't so great for C++ and so on. I learned something new today from Vladimir with the commandprompt function, that would make my day easier

Thanks for all the feedback, keep'em comming if you have any more good tricks for using Visual Studio
    Lars Werner aka Large

Talking Re: Need help to like Visual Studio 2005

Quote Originally Posted by VladimirF
    Let me take this one for now.
    First of all, check out the "Command Window" (View -> Other Windows -> Command Window, or Ctrl+Alt+A). You can type ANY of the studio's commands there!
    For a brand new class, type: Project.AddClass - and there comes the wizard (well, you will have to first select WHICH wizard).
    There is no shortcut key associated with this command by default, but this is very easy to fix: go to Tools -> Options, select Environment -> Keyboard; (there is a "apply the following keyboard maping scheme" with Visual C++ 6 and Visual Studio 6 as options); here you can assign shortcut keys to your liking...
    If you are in a source code file, you can use the following command to switch to the header file:
    EditorContextMenus.CodeWindow.GoToHeaderFile
    (or map it to some handy keys)
    While in the header file (but NOT in some function declaration), you can go to the Properties window (Alt+Enter), where you can use Tab to get to the toolbar, then arrow keys to select Events, Messages or Overrides.
    Yes, it's different. But is it worse? I'm sure one can get used to it... I am a "mouse" person, but see how much have I typed here?
    The commandprompt function is great! I've never used that before. Thanks Vladimir that sure helps to get things quicker done.

If you have any more tips keep'em comming. I'm really tries to start working with it
    Lars Werner aka Large

Quote Originally Posted by Large
    4. No, I had the old MSDN from the 6.0 only. Now I think I have to get the new one, since they moved away from .chm files
    Just came across a link (on another forum) to downloadable ISO images for MSDN: here