CodeGuru Home VC++ / MFC / C++ .NET / C# Visual Basic VB Forums Developer.com

Thread: Font problem

Font problem

The fonts which show in the properties of a textbox in a vb project are not the same as those in my fonts directory.
    I have made an app using lucida sans typewriter[LST] (which is in the list of fonts available within vb but not in my fonts dir). This runs OK within VB and as a compiled app on my machine.
    If transferred to another machine then the font reverts to that machine`s default (Arial).
    I thought that installing LST on second machine would cure problem which is when I found no LST on my machine (although it must be there somehow as it is refernced by VB and displays and print OK)
    Not having a copy of LST I thought that I could install VB6 on second machine and pick it up from there. When I did this and opened a new project, LST was not featured in the list of fonts available to a textbox.
    AS a test, I installed a new font (called Anonymous) on my machine but this did not come up as an available font on my textbox properties.
    So, a couple of questions:
    Where do the fonts which appear on the textbox properties list reside and how can I add to them? ( I have done an entire computer serach for LST and come up with zero)
    How can I include a font with the app so that it displays and prints as required?
    Regards to all

Re: Font problem

Welcome to CodeGuru!

I have also seen behavior similar to what you describe. I believe it may be possible for the font to be a hidden file, though not certain. Have you tried making system settings to never hide anything? Since you have the font available, then you must have the file.

Once you locate the file, you should be able to add it to the installation package, so it will install on the target machine.

Let us know how it goes.
    Please remember to rate the posts and threads that you find useful.
    How can something be both new and improved at the same time?

Quote Originally Posted by Dfox
    The fonts which show in the properties of a textbox in a vb project are not the same as those in my fonts directory.
    I have made an app using lucida sans typewriter[LST] (which is in the list of fonts available within vb but not in my fonts dir). This runs OK within VB and as a compiled app on my machine.
    If transferred to another machine then the font reverts to that machine`s default (Arial).
    Based on my limited knowledge, Fonts are funny creatures
    At a guess I would say the reason why it reverts back to Arial, is because that Font might not be installed on the system. In Web Design ( I know it';s VB6) If a web site made use of a certain Font, which doesn't exist on the client machine. Windows tries to match it with the closest possible match of Fonts available.

BTW. Is it a True Type Font ¿

Quote Originally Posted by Dfox
    I thought that installing LST on second machine would cure problem which is when I found no LST on my machine (although it must be there somehow as it is refernced by VB and displays and print OK)
    Not having a copy of LST I thought that I could install VB6 on second machine and pick it up from there. When I did this and opened a new project, LST was not featured in the list of fonts available to a textbox.
    AS a test, I installed a new font (called Anonymous) on my machine but this did not come up as an available font on my textbox properties.
    So, a couple of questions:
    You are totally right in saying you must copy the Font. Remember, it might have a different name on the computer. Have a look at Windows\Fonts. You will see many of those Fonts doesn't have the same name as what you see in Font Lists. What I would advice is to Open each Lucida font , to see if it is the same. Once found, copy it to the other computer. There might also be an option to Install the font on the machine (If I remember correctly)

Hope my comments were a little useful - at least..

Smile Re: Font problem

Found it !
    Manual search found font was in WINNT/Fonts, not Windows/Fonts.
    I did another (auto) search and, sure enough, no fonts listed in WINNT/Fonts appeared although they are not hidden.
    Copying and pasting the font to client machine seems to have worked.
    Thanks for your support:nice to know that somebody cares.

That's good news, DFox! It was probably a Windows NT or 2000 Machine, that's why it was in WinNt\FontS, am I right ¿ The people on this board do care and are very helpful. Stick around!