Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Re: Spider Man.............No More!

Congratulations Ejaz
    So, how did you 2 meet?
    /** The only stupid question is the one you never ask. */

Congratulations Ejaz
    - Sreehari
    "Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us."
    " Everybody is sent to Earth on a purpose. I am so Lagging behind that i won't die." – Calvin

Hearty Congratulations.

Quote Originally Posted by Ejaz
    Well, the credit goes to my family, my role in this was just that kid, which sit besides the net in the tennis match, to pick the loose shot and watch the ball bouching in the courts.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ejaz
    Well, not now, I met her for the first time last night, had nice converstation with her, but she isn't into programming (thanx god, only one crazy person should be in a house, and I do fill the seat very well), so for sometime, I'll be on safe grounds, and then I'll tell her myself all this. I wish she never goes through all the **** I've been posting in the past, that may cause some serious explainations
    Let me see if I understand: you met your fiancee last night for the first time in your life and your parents fixed everything and you just watched? So, what are your feelings about her? I'm wondering how can you live with someone you just met? What if you don't like her? I mean, ok, the first impression could have been great, but in time you discover things about her that will make your life with her hard to live, or perhaps impossible. Then what? Sorry for asking all these questions, but I'm not sure I can understand this practice.
    Marius Bancila
    Home Page
    My CodeGuru articles

I do not offer technical support via PM or e-mail. Please use vbBulletin codes.

Quote Originally Posted by cilu
    Let me see if I understand: you met your fiancee last night for the first time in your life and your parents fixed everything and you just watched? So, what are your feelings about her? I'm wondering how can you live with someone you just met? What if you don't like her? I mean, ok, the first impression could have been great, but in time you discover things about her that will make your life with her hard to live, or perhaps impossible. Then what? Sorry for asking all these questions, but I'm not sure I can understand this practice.
    Well Cilu thats the way it happens here in most of the Asian countries, atleast for the south asian countries, like india, pakisthan srilanka ... well it used to happen like this in earlier days, now a days , ppl are changing , ppl seem to find their own partners , leaving the earlier generation in a Fix leading to disagreements n all...

And in case of Ejaz guess his parents got tired of waiting for him to find someone for him self
    Err or could it be that they came to know about Kalinka ??
    - Sreehari
    "Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us."
    " Everybody is sent to Earth on a purpose. I am so Lagging behind that i won't die." – Calvin

Congrats Ejaz So Ejaz's has gone to deep sleep I guess with sweet dreams

Quote Originally Posted by sreehari
    Well Cilu thats the way it happens here in most of the Asian countries, atleast for the south asian countries, like india, pakisthan srilanka ... well it used to happen like this in earlier days, now a days , ppl are changing , ppl seem to find their own partners , leaving the earlier generation in a Fix leading to disagreements n all...
    And can someone refuse to do that, marry someone the parents had chosen?
    Marius Bancila
    Home Page
    My CodeGuru articles

I do not offer technical support via PM or e-mail. Please use vbBulletin codes.

It's not too late to run yet! / Congratulations Ejaz! *

* Please pick one
    B+!
    'There is no cat' - A. Einstein

Use [code] [/code] tags!

Did YOU share your photo with us at CG Members photo gallery ?

Let me see if I understand: you met your fiancee last night for the first time in your life and your parents fixed everything and you just watched? So, what are your feelings about her? I'm wondering how can you live with someone you just met? What if you don't like her?.
    You are right in thinking the way you did - because of your European upbringing.

However, like Sreehari has pointed out - Parents arranging matches is common in Asian cultures.
    I mean, ok, the first impression could have been great, but in time you discover things about her that will make your life with her hard to live, or perhaps impossible. Then what? Sorry for asking all these questions, but I'm not sure I can understand this practice
    This is nothing typical to arranged marriages, BTW.

If one looks at marriages in Germany, around 50% of them are already broken up by the time they are in the 3rd year. So, people making their decisions for themselves doesn't really imply that they are good at it.

Marriages in Asia for instance have a much higher success rate. Of course, this has more factors than just the satisfaction of the couples in question - like family values, etc - but, even if one looks at plain numbers, stuff seems to work better in that system. Also one must not forget that Parents know their children very well, and in societies where family values are of essence, they all want their children to get married to someone who is intellectually, monetarily and culturally fitting. This results in a high level of compatibility in the match making process.

Typically, the parents choose and the bride / groom consents.

If the bride or the groom are not in consent, typically the match would not be made.

Congratulations, Ejaz.

its not that the parents alone choose a girl/guy and you marry just blind folded, its more like , first the parents choose a girl, and then the guy/girl sees the others photo( and many a times also meet the counterpart) and then if they both feel okey then the engagement is done , ( tho there are a few more things that are done , they are religious/superstitious rather like matching horoscopes n all ) ya so the refusin to marry is always an option , and generally is not a problem unless one says that he/she has someone else in mind.
    - Sreehari

Quote Originally Posted by Siddhartha
    You are right in thinking the way you did - because of your European upbringing.

However, like Sreehari has pointed out - Parents arranging matches is common in Asian cultures.This is nothing typical to arranged marriages, BTW.

If one looks at marriages in Germany, around 50% of them are already broken up by the time they are in the 3rd year. So, people making their decisions for themselves doesn't really imply that they are good at it.

Marriages in Asia for instance have a much higher success rate. Of course, this has more factors than just the satisfaction of the couples in question - like family values, etc - but, even if one looks at plain numbers, stuff seems to work better in that system. Also one must not forget that Parents know their children very well, and in societies where family values are of essence, they all want their children to get married to someone who is intellectually, monetarily and culturally fitting. This results in a high level of compatibility in the match making process.
    Never could have put it in a better way
    - Sreehari

@Sid: You should have been a Lecturer/Professor somewhere.

But truly speaking arranged marriages work out better compared to love marriages. Others opinions might differ, but this is what I have seen happening with atleast the people I know.

Thanks, guys... Yes, yes... Arranged Marriages and relationships are pet topics for me as many of my friends out here keep querying me on how stuff can work in such an environment.

I personally find arranged marriage system perplexing too - but, it works so well that it's just to be seen to be believed. All friends of mine who got married this way are happily settled (just the same way as those who found their partners themselves are too).

Another big advantage of this system is that people who haven't found a partner for whatever reason find a suitable one via a channel accepted by the society. This channel is a lot better than the "blind date" system followed in western cultures, or in the "dating agencies" prevalent here, and also better than online dating as people look at prospective partners in a small cross-section of "available resources" that fit their language, culture, education and monetary requirements to a T.
    Last edited by Siddhartha; August 22nd, 2006 at 04:55 AM.

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast