CodeGuru Home VC++ / MFC / C++ .NET / C# Visual Basic VB Forums Developer.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Adding Web Page to site

I have a website that has been running for a few years. I have created a new page in vb.net/aspx and used ftp commander to transfer it from c:\inetpub\wwwroot\project\newpage.aspx to the website. when I use IE to open the page I get an error. So I have created a blank web page and transfered it to the website. It gives an error as well. Is there anything else I need to transfer with the page???

Any ideas??

Thanks,

Jason

Re: Adding Web Page to site

did you include the binaries? is your site running asp.net ?
    rate my posts!
    mcm

Quote Originally Posted by theghost
    I have a website that has been running for a few years. I have created a new page in vb.net/aspx and used ftp commander to transfer it from c:\inetpub\wwwroot\project\newpage.aspx to the website. when I use IE to open the page I get an error. So I have created a blank web page and transfered it to the website. It gives an error as well. Is there anything else I need to transfer with the page???

Any ideas??

Thanks,

Jason
    Jason, could you post the error message here so as to figure out the problem?

I only transfered the .aspx file. What is the binaries. I have binary checked as transfer type. Yes the site is running asp.net.

I just added the new page to the project on my computer. It runs with the web site on the computer but will not run on the server the web site is on. I get a server error.

thanks,

Jason

Quote Originally Posted by jasonli
    Jason, could you post the error message here so as to figure out the problem?
    here is the error.

Server Error in '/' Application.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Runtime Error
    Description: An application error occurred on the server. The current custom error settings for this application prevent the details of the application error from being viewed remotely (for security reasons). It could, however, be viewed by browsers running on the local server machine.

Details: To enable the details of this specific error message to be viewable on remote machines, please create a <customErrors> tag within a "web.config" configuration file located in the root directory of the current web application. This <customErrors> tag should then have its "mode" attribute set to "Off".

<!-- Web.Config Configuration File -->

<configuration>
    <system.web>
    <customErrors mode="Off"/>
    </system.web>
    </configuration>

Notes: The current error page you are seeing can be replaced by a custom error page by modifying the "defaultRedirect" attribute of the application's <customErrors> configuration tag to point to a custom error page URL.

<!-- Web.Config Configuration File -->

<configuration>
    <system.web>
    <customErrors mode="RemoteOnly" defaultRedirect="mycustompage.htm"/>
    </system.web>
    </configuration>

thast not the error thats the page telling you to turn off custom errors so we can see the error. Modify your web.config file and try again.
    mcm
    rate my posts!
    mcm

Quote Originally Posted by mcmcom
    thast not the error thats the page telling you to turn off custom errors so we can see the error. Modify your web.config file and try again.
    mcm
    i have tried to modify the web.config file but i dont think I am doing it correctly. How should I do this?

Set customErrors' mode to "off" and then you could get the real application error. Post the real one here.

make sure its "Off" not "off" (case sensitivity matters in the web.config)
    rate my posts!
    mcm

Quote Originally Posted by mcmcom
    make sure its "Off" not "off" (case sensitivity matters in the web.config)
    Thanks, I had the case wrong. Here is the error.

Description: An error occurred during the parsing of a resource required to service this request. Please review the following specific parse error details and modify your source file appropriately.

Parser Error Message: Could not load type 'CSC.TestWeightReports'.

Source Error:

Line 2: <%@ Register TagPrefix="uc1" TagName="userFoot" Src="userFoot.ascx" %>
    Line 3: <%@ Register TagPrefix="uc1" TagName="userHead" Src="userHead.ascx" %>
    Line 4: <%@ Page Language="vb" AutoEventWireup="false" Codebehind="TestWeightReports.aspx.vb" Inherits="CSC.TestWeightReports"%>
    Line 5: <!doctype html public "-//w3c//dtd html 4.0 transitional//en">
    Line 6: <HTML xmlns>

Line 4 was highlighted for the error.

I don,t do this everyday so I am kiind of lost. It,s probaly something simple. can you help!

Obviously, TestWeightReports.aspx is what you created. Make sure partial class "TestWeightReports" is in namespace "CSC". Did you mention that it's successful when you run it on your computer?

yes, it is running on my computer in the same project that the website was created in. I transfered only the testWeightreport.aspx file to the webserver website.

Make sure partial class "TestWeightReports" is in namespace "CSC".
    Where so I check for this?

Only transfer the testWeightreport.aspx file to the webserver website is not enough. You should copy the code-behind file "testWeightreport.aspx.vb" to web server as well, although it is not good idea.

Even if I load the code behind file it still does not work. If anyone has any ideas I would appreciate them.

thanks,

Jason

If you copy the aspx file from your project folder, you must copy the code-behind file as well. And you should check if the class is in namespace "CSC". If not, you could change
    Code:
    Line 4: <%@ Page Language="vb" AutoEventWireup="false" Codebehind="TestWeightReports.aspx.vb" Inherits="CSC.TestWeightReports"%>
    to
    Code:
    Line 4: <%@ Page Language="vb" AutoEventWireup="false" Codebehind="TestWeightReports.aspx.vb" Inherits="TestWeightReports"%>
    OR add namespace into your code-behind, just like:
    Code:
    namespace CSC
    partial class TestWeightReports
        Inherits System.Web.UI.Page
    end class
    end namespace
    If you copy the aspx file from published folder, you need not to copy code-behind file. But you should copy the complied files in folder "bin" to webserver.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast