CodeGuru Home VC++ / MFC / C++ .NET / C# Visual Basic VB Forums Developer.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: CPU cycles

CPU cycles

Thanks everyone for the feedback on CPU usage. I'll be talking with people today about this reoccuring issue.

Brad
    -----------------------------------------------
    Brad! Jones,
    Yowza Publishing
    LotsOfSoftware, LLC

Re: CPU cycles

Brad,

We're not against ads.

We're against poorly-coded ads. Ads are poorly coded when they interfere with usage of this site (e.g., steal focus, too long to download, prevent site's content from loading until after the ad), and when they interfere with usage of our machine for other purposes (e.g., ads that take 50% and more CPU usage).

Mike
    Last edited by MikeAThon; October 30th, 2006 at 08:03 PM. Reason: better sentence structure

Exactly, we have absolutely nothing against ads, but we do have something against ads that cause your PC to become soo slow that when I'm typing a reply, it takes 1 second for a letter to appear onscreen...
    Marc Gregoire - NuonSoft (http://www.nuonsoft.com)
    My Blog
    Wallpaper Cycler 3.5.0.97

Author of Professional C++, 4th Edition by Wiley/Wrox (includes C++17 features)
    ISBN: 978-1-119-42130-6
    [ http://www.facebook.com/professionalcpp ]

Just running IE once again (as a test). Seems to open 10x faster than FX, and pages are displayed in 1/2 the time (or better).

Firefox has become unusable to view CG (although other JM sites don't suffer the same fate).

Surely, users know that they are on a JM site. They can remember things like this, which might influence their choice to EVER respond to an ad (based on principle).

Seems like a Java Script (on CG) is hanging up Fx most of the time, and sometimes, I'd click on a link, and come back 3 minutes later to find the page not loaded. Moving the mouse THEN generates the new page, but still slowly!
    David

CodeGuru Article: Bound Controls are Evil-VB6
    2013 Samples: MS CODE Samples

CodeGuru Reviewer
    2006 Dell CSP
    2006, 2007 & 2008 MVP Visual Basic
    If your question has been answered satisfactorily, and it has been helpful, then, please, Rate this Post!

Yup. Without the IBM ad my pages load twice as fast. With the ad, my cpu ranges up to 96 as they increase their graphics. Of course, I made this machine in 97 so it ain't the fastest.

Quote Originally Posted by dglienna
    Seems like a Java Script (on CG) is hanging up Fx most of the time, and sometimes, I'd click on a link, and come back 3 minutes later to find the page not loaded. Moving the mouse THEN generates the new page, but still slowly!
    Seems like a buggy browser to me....

I've been told that if the CPU issue can't be cleaned up, then the offensive ads will come off the site.

Brad!
    Brad! Jones,
    Yowza Publishing
    LotsOfSoftware, LLC

Seems a little better today. Still hangs for a second or two.

Might be time to upgrade to 2.0

EDIT: I spoke too soon. The last two times I tried to open up the home page, Fx crashed! Nothing else running. Back to IE6
    Last edited by dglienna; October 31st, 2006 at 04:31 PM.
    David

CodeGuru Reviewer
    2006 Dell CSP
    If your question has been answered satisfactorily, and it has been helpful, then, please, Rate this Post!

Firefox 2.0 is working dandy. Maybe the prior version really is buggy

2.0 works brilliant, hasn't crashed since getting it.
    Rich

Visual Studio 2010 Professional | Windows 7 (x64)
    Ubuntu

Brad,

The IBM ad with the "rotund" man being flipped around on gears still sucks 60-80% CPU.

Right now, the ad appears at the top right of this very page that I am "quick-replying" on.

IE 6.0, Win 2K Pro.

Mike

FF 2.0 RC3 works good here...no more crashes...still seeing the 90+% on the CPU on a Dual XeonMP 2.8Ghz box...Now that is terrible.
    Jim
    ATP BE400 CE500 (C550B-SPW) CE560XL MU300 CFI CFII

"The speed of non working code is irrelevant"... Of course that is just my opinion, I could be wrong.

"Nothing in the world can take the place of persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination are omnipotent. The slogan 'press on' has solved and always will solve the problems of the human race."...Calvin Coolidge 30th President of the USA.

I think if the ads were just jpg's (NO Animated ads) and loaded from CG that there would be a whole lot less negative feedback...Animated ads are cartoon like and I don't think IBM's ads are targeted towards people who watch cartoons...if they are then they are missing the boat totally...

My 2cents.
    Jim
    ATP BE400 CE500 (C550B-SPW) CE560XL MU300 CFI CFII

"The speed of non working code is irrelevant"... Of course that is just my opinion, I could be wrong.

"Nothing in the world can take the place of persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination are omnipotent. The slogan 'press on' has solved and always will solve the problems of the human race."...Calvin Coolidge 30th President of the USA.

I agree 100%. Have a HyperLinked JPG, it'd take a second to download the first time (and would be cached after that).

Why would an advertiser want to display an ad, if nobody is looking ad it?

If you walk away for a minute, they think MORE people will click the ad?

Maybe if we all came back to find the spinning man suspended (due to lock up), and the browser locked up, we'd all conclude that it is because we're NOT running IBM software? LOL
    David

CodeGuru Reviewer
    2006 Dell CSP

And if you click the ad you get more of the same, except larger and with
    optional sound !
    And if you want to download the whitepaper they're advertising ? Now get it,
    this is a whitepaper about content management solutions !
    Not Found

The requested URL /software/bigplays/G507-1548-00.pdf was not found on this server.
    IBM_HTTP_Server/6.0.2.13 Apache/2.0.47 (Unix) Server at ftp.software.ibm.com Port 80
    Heh, heh, double heh.

I noticed that one particular IBM ad is very CPU expensive (and I think that it was not before, not sure tho). As far as I noticed problem is with the big right-side ad showing a piece of IBM hardware. I use Opera and maybe it is browser/plugin specific problem, but maybe others could confirm. I usually have 20+ tabs opened and task manager shows ~3% CPU usage when not browsing CG, and 95%+ with one CG tab opened and ad displayed. I have screenshots if anyone is interested, and this problem is quite easy to reproduce (at least for me). At start I thought that Eclipse is slowing things down, but after a while found out that IBM is responsible for decreasing my system performance. My machine is 3GHz Intel Pentium 4 with 1GB RAM and WinXP SP2.

EDIT: problem seems also to occur with some smaller, square-shaped ads which are visible at the top of the page after expanding forum to full width. Anyway, bigger variety of troublesome ads makes me think that its a browser problem

Regards,
    Hob
    Last edited by Hobson; November 29th, 2006 at 06:18 AM.
    B+!
    'There is no cat' - A. Einstein

Use [code] [/code] tags!

Did YOU share your photo with us at CG Members photo gallery ?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast