CodeGuru Home VC++ / MFC / C++ .NET / C# Visual Basic VB Forums Developer.com

End of Bill Gates Era?

According to a Mexican finacial publication, cited by The Guardian, Bill Gates is (after a 12-years reign) no longer the richest man on Earth. The new top billionair is Mexican businessman Carlos Slim Helu. Forbes has not yet published the list of richest people in 2007.

There is actually no wonder in that, since Bill Gates plegded to give to charity most of his forture.
    Marius Bancila
    Home Page
    My CodeGuru articles

I do not offer technical support via PM or e-mail. Please use vbBulletin codes.

Re: End of Bill Gates Era?

Yes actually I am not at all surprised to see that. Bill keeps on giving money to lot of charities not only in USA but throughout the world too.

Bill is a generous rich man.

Well... Guys, that the Mexican Businessman has become richer is not because of Bill Gates' charitable ventures. LOL!

It is simply on the basis of appreciation of the stock prices of companies managed by the former, and the relative stability of Microsoft's stock prices...

What kind of era has ended? Does being the richest man in the world make this time 'his' in any way? Does being second on the list make him less influent/significant/whatever in any way? Gee, being rich as they are is really impressive, but I do not feel any changes in the air.
    B+!
    'There is no cat' - A. Einstein

Use [code] [/code] tags!

Did YOU share your photo with us at CG Members photo gallery ?

Yeah, I think Oprah has more influence than most of those rich dudes anyhoo.
    ahoodin
    To keep the plot moving, that's why.

From the local news, I heard that Carlos isn't concern if he is the richest guy in the world but rather he like to focus on charity work as well.
    quoted from C++ Coding Standards:

KISS (Keep It Simple Software):
    Correct is better than fast. Simple is better than complex. Clear is better than cute. Safe is better than insecure.

Avoid magic number:
    Programming isn't magic, so don't incant it.

If you were worth 67+ billion, you wouldn't care if you were the richest either.
    If the post was helpful...Rate it! Remember to use [code] or [php] tags.

I believe the "list of richest people" and the "list of people for whackos to ask for money" is the same list. As such, the farther down the list you are, the likely the better off you are. Being first (on top) seems to indicate you're likely to hear from the most whackos....

It is like coming in second in a race.... you never hear about that person. You only hear about the winner. In the case of rich people, I think most prefer to be second because then their name isn't heard so much....

Brad!

bills a full time Philanthropist now, his fotunes will all be spent

With 'era' I meant the 12 years 'reign' as richest man on the planet.
    Marius Bancila
    Home Page
    My CodeGuru articles

I do not offer technical support via PM or e-mail. Please use vbBulletin codes.

Bill is great friends with Warren Buffett and they are very similar in many ways. Bill spends a ton of cash on charitable causes and so does Warren. Warren lives very modestly and has vowed to donate 75% of his entire networth to the Bill/Melinda Gates Foundation.

Both very COOL guys