CodeGuru Home VC++ / MFC / C++ .NET / C# Visual Basic VB Forums Developer.com

multiple definition

Hi,
    I have the following problem: I'm using an external (as in: not under my control) library C, that is implemented completely inside of header-files. I need to include those headers both in a library B and in an application A. B is also linked into A, so the functions of C are linked into A twice: once by its own includes and once with B, resulting in a "multiple definition" error.
    Is there an elegant solution to this problem without the need to modify C?

Thanks in advance

Re: multiple definition

put this both places where you include your c-library. this is by no means elegant, but it'll work.
    Code:
    #if !defined(_include_once_)
    #    include "c-library.h"
    #    define _include_once_
    #endif

Thanks, but that doesn't help, because it only prevents including multiple times inside one "translation unit", it doesn't prevent two "translation units", in this case A and B, from containing the same functions.

I don't think there is an easy way out on this since whatever you do the functions from C end up in B lib & A obj.

The best solution I can come up with is that you extract prototype information from C into a new header that you use in A (omit including the original C headers). Hopefully this is C++ so if C is updated and the new signatures differ the linker will catch it.

If the implementation is "inlined" that should be no problem.

If for reasons best known to themselves they have put implementation into the header files treating them as source, then so should you.

Copy just the prototypes into your header and use inclusion guards for it.

Have a compilation unit that includes their headers and does nothing else. Everything else includes yours not theirs.

I am not sure but wasn't the extern C++ keyword provided exactly for this type of situations.
    If there is no love sun won't shine

Thanks to you two, this seems like a good suggestion. I'll try that.

extern is on by default for function prototypes and off by definition for global variables.

The inline keyword can be used for free-functions that are implemented in header files to ensure they are linked only once. It does not actually guarantee that the compiler will inline them.