CodeGuru Home VC++ / MFC / C++ .NET / C# Visual Basic VB Forums Developer.com

A Day in the Life of a Developer

Since my girlfriend seems to think Im some sort of a loser because I sit infront of my computer a lot typing up programs and doing homework on a Saturday night instead of partying and drinking as she would like. I wanted to find out what you guys do for fun and the like. I mean, what activities do you guys get involved in? Or does the rain fall about the same on every part of the development field?

I know I would rather sit at home and practice something that will some day earn me money rather than go out, spend money getting wasted, and also waste time that could be better used for sharpening my skills and studying new things.
    R.I.P. 3.5" Floppy Drives
    "I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones." - Albert Einstein

Re: A Day in the Life of a Developer

Everyone needs a break. Some people party hourly, some daily, and some weekly. Compromise. There's more to life than studying!
    David

CodeGuru Article: Bound Controls are Evil-VB6
    2013 Samples: MS CODE Samples

CodeGuru Reviewer
    2006 Dell CSP
    2006, 2007 & 2008 MVP Visual Basic
    If your question has been answered satisfactorily, and it has been helpful, then, please, Rate this Post!

Well, I am a programmer and a graphic designer. Both do cause me to be around a computer a lot, but my wife is great. She gives me my geek time.

Personally, I go for a walk every night with my wife, sometimes twice. We also watch movies together, as well as play games, and visit friends. Computers are great, but people are better!

For other hobbies, I love to juggle. As you can see in my torches avatar. I also still build with Legos. And I greatly love billiards.
    If the post was helpful...Rate it! Remember to use [code] or [php] tags.

Quote Originally Posted by RaleTheBlade
    Since my girlfriend seems to think Im some sort of a loser because I sit infront of my computer a lot typing up programs and doing homework on a Saturday night instead of partying and drinking as she would like.
    Hm.. personally, I don't think there are losers. People might falter and fail and fall. But that doesn't make them losers. Nor, does it make them a loser just because they aren't doing what others do. You are not the same as the other person, you have your own priorities. For your girlfriend the priority might be partying and drinking. For you it is studying and enhancing your knowledge. It is hard for one person to realize how important those priorities are just because of the way different minds are wired.

So, if you think it is important for you to study and learn , go for it. You have the enthusiasm, you have the goals in front of you. Great !! Don't you bother listening to others judging you. How others judge you doesn't even matter here.

I wanted to find out what you guys do for fun and the like. I mean, what activities do you guys get involved in? Or does the rain fall about the same on every part of the development field?
    I am a software engineer by profession, and there's so much going on everyday. But, I like to do other things.. I like to play badminton, so I spend a couple of hours playing. I like being outdoors, so I go out on walks, hikes. Evenings, I spend time with wife walking along the beach. Spending time outdoors relaxes me. I forget most of the mundane problems and issues and such and helps me wind down. I strum my guitar time to time. These are things I like to do and I do them. I am not forced into doing them for any reason and I don't do them because others do.

I know I would rather sit at home and practice something that will some day earn me money rather than go out, spend money getting wasted, and also waste time that could be better used for sharpening my skills and studying new things.
    If that is what your prioroty is, so be it, I would say.

Others here bring up good points though. Often, as a human being, we need some time to wind down and get away from doing what we do. That helps one relax and enjoy the work even more. So, if you like to do something else, do try to give it some time. It might be rejuvenating and refreshing.

I fully agree with Kiran here...

Other than that, as far as alcohol goes (if that's what your girlfriend expects you to drink in the weekends), I may add that it's a lot more fun when you are older and prosperous enough to drink the drink that you'd really enjoy.

In cheap liquor, you miss nothing. Indulging in alcohol due to peer - / social pressure is dangerous.

Last but not the least, it is very important to have a social life and two hours in a week spent talking to people about all and sundry will definitely not harm you. It is important to pamper non-academic faculties such as culture, food, etc in addition to catering to the desire to learn good programming / learn for a future job - because learning need not be limited to programming alone.

Good luck!
    Last edited by Siddhartha; August 19th, 2007 at 11:14 AM.

Thanks guys! I just wanted to get a better scope of what other people in my field do for fun. I wasn't sure if professional developers did nothing but program or what, lol. I just feel so far behind than a lot of my friends who already have degrees that I do nothing but study and write code and what not to try to catch up. Theres just so much to learn!

As for my girlfriend, Ive already decided that if she doesn't like me for who I am then she can bite me :P Ill find a girl who writes code and plays video games just as much as I do, lol. I just want to find a job as a programmer so I can stay growing and learning in my field of work rather than having to do it all on my own time. Ill prolly go out with a few guys from my web maintenance job next weekend, just to see what its like. They're always pressuring me to go out and it might actually be fun. Thanks for the insight guys!
    Last edited by RaleTheBlade; August 19th, 2007 at 11:46 AM.
    "I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones." - Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by RaleTheBlade
    Ill find a girl who writes code and plays video games just as much as I do, lol.
    Congratulations. You just limited yourself to about .00937 percent of the worlds population.
    If the post was helpful...Rate it! Remember to use [code] or [php] tags.

Quote Originally Posted by PeejAvery
    Congratulations. You just limited yourself to about .00937 percent of the worlds population.
    lol you can say that again
    /** The only stupid question is the one you never ask. */

I find that going to european football matches (and pub visits) is a good counter balance to writing software.
    My hobby projects:
    www.rclsoftware.org.uk

Quote Originally Posted by PeejAvery
    lol, tell me about it. But I go to college for my C++ training and theres actually quite a few of em in there. You just gotta know where to look

Good points guys!
    With me, let me explain.
    I'm at work 7 AM. I leave work 8 PM, sometimes later. I work the whole time with computers, yes, people are part of my job, but, they're students. My job allows me to learn so many many things. I love my job. I do not have a social life at all. Did more than enough partying and other stuff, when I was younger. What I do when I get home is to listen to music on my pc, sometimes that is all I do - that relaxes me, and that comforts me. I used to have a set of drums, now, that's a nice tool to vent your anger with , but as I've said, those days are over - I think you come to a point in your life where you have to decide what is important ¿ Is it boozing ¿ Or is it learning / working ¿
    yes, I do have a couple of beers every now and then, but that's not the point.
    I also like to write poetry, and I like just having fun with my family.
    I'm actually quite a loner - always been, probably will always be, because I lost so many girlfriends because of my studies & work.
    That's me, so now if you didn't fall asleep while reading my post, I hope you enjoyed it

i normally work from 9:30am-630pm, monday - friday. As much as possible no overtime on weekends, as my weekends recently is full.

saturday basically is spent playing badminton, doing my household chores, going to language school ( if i can ), going to baking school ( just started ), meeting friends or just staying at home reading book and relaxing

sunday is reserve for practice and competition since I recently join a dragon boat team

there is nothing wrong with your goals of sitting infront of the computer but take a time to relax and have a breath of fresh air, it will do your body good
    *** Con Tu Adios, Te Llevas, Mi Corazon***

Traveling Encoder...

Be surrounded with people at times, otherwise loneliness creeps in. You may not find it disturbing initially but later no guarantees unless you actually become so.

Even if you work or study - try forming groups or find like-minded people - sometimes not-so-like-minded as well. They will have different perspective which can be helpful.

You must be having some interests apart from programming.. could be better to keep them running.

Ultimately, the most important thing is staying happy. Doing things that make you happier. If you don't explore things how will you come to know if something else is there in this world that you might find interesting. To find things that you like, you need to be aware of things that you don't like. For example, food - if you never tried anything new - how would you have come to a conclusion that you like a particular dish. That's what I am trying to say.