CodeGuru Home VC++ / MFC / C++ .NET / C# Visual Basic VB Forums Developer.com

View Poll Results: What OS are you running?

Voters
20. You may not vote on this poll
  • Windows 3.1 or 3.11

0 0%
  • Windows 95

0 0%
  • Windows 98 or 98SE

3 15.00%
  • Windows 2000

3 15.00%
  • Windows ME

1 5.00%
  • Windows XP

10 50.00%
  • Windows Vista

0 0%
  • Mac OSX or Other Mac

1 5.00%
  • Linux/UNIX or Other

2 10.00%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Still Serving!

Still Serving!

Just a shout to all those out there who are still using an older OS such as the one Im using at home. I run a Windows 98 SE machine, Pentium II 400/512/100/1.6V (upgrading to a Slot 370 Pentium III here soon hopefully). I just put an NE2000 Compatible (not sure what brand) cable network card in it and it works fine. I dont think its ever downloaded something so fast in its life!
    R.I.P. 3.5" Floppy Drives
    "I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones." - Albert Einstein

Re: Still Serving!

Mac OS X Tiger (10.4)

As soon as Leopard (Mac OS X 10.5) comes out I am getting a MacBook with Leopard!
    If the post was helpful...Rate it! Remember to use [code] or [php] tags.

My older machine runs with Win98SE on board, 1GHz CPU and 400MB SDRAM. Quite recently I gave away my Celeron 333MHz 64MB RAM, Win98SE also.
    B+!
    'There is no cat' - A. Einstein

Use [code] [/code] tags!

Did YOU share your photo with us at CG Members photo gallery ?

Quote Originally Posted by Hobson
    My older machine runs with Win98SE on board, 1GHz CPU and 400MB SDRAM. Quite recently I gave away my Celeron 333MHz 64MB RAM, Win98SE also.
    How did you get your board to support a 1Ghz processor? I tried to put a Pentium II 500 Mhz on instead of my 400 Mhz Pentium II and it locked up when doing the initial RAM check when it booted up.
    "I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones." - Albert Einstein

I have a multi-boot Linux/Windows 98 SE/MS-DOS 6.22.

I've MS-DOS 6.22 installed in an obscure corner of my slave IDE disk on a small FAT16 partition in the first gigabytes of my disk (MS-DOS using CHS addressing, cannot go above 8th gigabyte).

I don't really use MS-DOS 6.22.

I mainly use Windows 98 SE and Linux.

Windows 98 SE has good performances for games, though, lately, my GeForce 2 MX 32MiB stopped working, and I had to revert back to an Ati Rage Pro AGP and a 3DFx Voodoo 2 12MiB.
    "inherit to be reused by code that uses the base class, not to reuse base class code", Sutter and Alexandrescu, C++ Coding Standards.
    Club of lovers of the C++ typecasts cute syntax: Only recorded member.

Out of memory happens! Handle it properly!
    Say no to g_new()!

Quote Originally Posted by SuperKoko
    Windows 98 SE has good performances for games, though, lately, my GeForce 2 MX 32MiB stopped working, and I had to revert back to an Ati Rage Pro AGP and a 3DFx Voodoo 2 12MiB.
    Its funny you should say that because most people are going for the new games which are supposedly "better". I still stick with Sim City 2000 and DOOM, lol. Also A-Train and SimTown. Nothing plays DOS games like a real DOS machine.

Ive got a Diamond Stealth 64 MB card hooked up to mine but it only seems to see 4 MB of the memory. I need to update the driver though...

Quote Originally Posted by RaleTheBlade
    Its funny you should say that because most people are going for the new games which are supposedly "better". I still stick with Sim City 2000 and DOOM, lol. Also A-Train and SimTown.
    I like Doom (I and II), and all other ID software games.
    The most recent game I play is Quake 3 Arena.
    Starcraft and Heroes of might and magic II are my favorite strategy games.

Nothing plays DOS games like a real DOS machine.
    Right.
    However, Windows 98 SE works well for most DOS games.
    In the worst case, it's necessary to restart in DOS mode. This is necessary for MS-DOS programs that passed in protected mode without using a DPMI.
    "inherit to be reused by code that uses the base class, not to reuse base class code", Sutter and Alexandrescu, C++ Coding Standards.

Say no to g_new()!

It's interesting to note that Vista has been out there for many months now, and not one of us has selected that option...

Shouldn't be there. He was asking about the OLDEST system that you still have. Vista would hardly qualify.

I do have W2K Workstation, not connected at the moment.
    David

CodeGuru Article: Bound Controls are Evil-VB6
    2013 Samples: MS CODE Samples

CodeGuru Reviewer
    2006 Dell CSP
    2006, 2007 & 2008 MVP Visual Basic
    If your question has been answered satisfactorily, and it has been helpful, then, please, Rate this Post!

Quote Originally Posted by Siddhartha
    It's interesting to note that Vista has been out there for many months now, and not one of us has selected that option...
    Thats because Vista is evil! I have a PC with Millenium Edition on it too but when I created this poll I forgot to mark the multiple selections option. I also have a 3.11 machine and a 95 machine, hahaha... All over the spectrum. I do have to say that out of all of the systems that I have I like 98SE the best.

While were on the topic... Heres a similar one. Whats the most ancient computer you guys have ever used? I think the oldest one Ive ever used was an Apple IIe. You know, the old green machines without harddrives and they run off of a remote 5 1/4" floppy drive. You had to have the disk otherwise the system wouldnt boot. Ahhh... the good old days of Oregon Trail and Worm.
    Last edited by RaleTheBlade; September 3rd, 2007 at 01:25 PM.

I kind of miss multiple-choice vote...

My primary computer is WinXP - Fedora Core 6 dual-boot, with Win98SE, Win2K, FreeBSD 4.4, and Vista under VMWare for testing purposes.
    My secondary is Win2K - Fedora Core 3 dual boot, with OpenBSD and NetBSD under VMWare in Fedora for testing purposes.

What should i vote for?
    "In the end, only familiarity with the tools and techniques of the field
    will provide the right solution for a particular problem,
    and only a certain amount of experience
    will provide consistently professional results."

- Raymond Fielding, The Technique of Special Effects Cinematography

Quote Originally Posted by JustChecking
    I kind of miss multiple-choice vote...

My primary computer is WinXP - Fedora Core 6 dual-boot, with Win98SE, Win2K, FreeBSD 4.4, and Vista under VMWare for testing purposes.
    My secondary is Win2K - Fedora Core 3 dual boot, with OpenBSD and NetBSD under VMWare in Fedora for testing purposes.

What should i vote for?
    Sorry I didnt make it a multiple choice poll! I didnt think about it till after the fact

As for what you should vote for, just vote for your favorite OS if you have multiple ones

Whats the most ancient computer you guys have ever used?
    Oldest machine I have ever used was 8086 with should-be-enough-for-everyone 640kB of RAM, 11MB hard drive, 5MHz CPU clock (10MHz with turbo mode on), exhausted BIOS battery and 4-colour display HGC adapter. I was ~15 and was not much into programming, so now I pity I did not try to do some fun with assembly for that CPU. But I wasted lots of time for playing Prince of Persia (running smoothly only in Turbo mode ) and messing with highscore lists for Tetris. That was the only machine I managed to force to display "System halted" message
    B+!
    'There is no cat' - A. Einstein

Use [code] [/code] tags!

Did YOU share your photo with us at CG Members photo gallery ?

While were on the topic... Heres a similar one. Whats the most ancient computer you guys have ever used?
    An Amstrad CPC 6128+ with a 4.7Mhz Z80 CPU and 180KiB per side 3 inches (not 3.5 inches) disks.
    It ran Locomotive BASIC as an OS on a ROM cartridge.
    It also had CP/M...

It had 128KiB of RAM, but could not address more than 64KiB. The upper 64KiB were used as a virtual disk.

As for what you should vote for, just vote for your favorite OS if you have multiple ones
    I thought that I had to vote for the OS I were currently running.

The question is:
    What OS are you running?
    Quote Originally Posted by Hobson
    Oldest machine I have ever used was 8086 with should-be-enough-for-everyone 640kB of RAM, 11MB hard drive, 5MHz CPU clock (10MHz with turbo mode on), exhausted BIOS battery and 4-colour display HGC adapter.
    Interesting. I knew that 80486 DX2 and DX4 CPU had turbo buttons to set the multiplicator coefficient, but 8086 machines didn't support any multiplicator coefficient.

Did the turbo mode increase the frequency of both the motherboard and the CPU?

Say no to g_new()!

Whats the most ancient computer you guys have ever used?
    Hmm that will have to be the 'ZX Spectrum 48k' Although we only had it for about 4 months and replaced it with a 'Commodore C64'.. Which BTW i still have and still works... (But i need to get a new powersupply for it.)
    Articles VB6 : Break the 2G limit - Animation 1, 2 VB.NET : 2005/8 : Moving Images , Animation 1 , 2 , 3 , User Controls
    WPF Articles : 3D Animation 1 , 2 , 3
    Code snips: VB6 Hex Edit, IP Chat, Copy Prot., Crop, Zoom : .NET IP Chat (V4), Adv. ContextMenus, click Hotspot, Scroll Controls
    Find me in ASP.NET., VB6., VB.NET , Writing Articles, My Genealogy, Forum
    All VS.NET: posts refer to VS.NET 2008 (Pro) unless otherwise stated.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast