CodeGuru Home VC++ / MFC / C++ .NET / C# Visual Basic VB Forums Developer.com

About the deadlock in WinXP(SP2) while calling FlushFileBuffers()

I am developing a program based on Visual C++ 6.0 platform. And the os is WinXP+SP2. Now I found that sometimes when I am calling FlushFileBuffers() in my program, it will cause the system to run into a deadlock status. There will be no response at all. I search this topic through internet, and found that win2000 has met with such a problem and is already solved. There is already a pack to mend this problem. But why will it still happen in WinXP+SP2? It is quite amazing! Anybody knows how to solve it? Any idea of it? Thanks in advance!

Re: About the deadlock in WinXP(SP2) while calling FlushFileBuffers()

Quote Originally Posted by arthur_shen
    But why will it still happen in WinXP+SP2? It is quite amazing!
    First, you have to verify that the reason for the deadlock is the same as the reason for the deadlock in W2K.

Anybody knows how to solve it?
    If it is indeed a bug in Windows XP, I think that Microsoft would have been informed of it and made corrections. Maybe they don't know and you need to inform them?

Also, you shouldn't rule out that it could be your program that is faulty, causing a failure in the API function.

Regards,

Paul McKenzie

From the description of the formal bugs of Win2000, I can not see any differences from the phenomenon. I have traced my operations by writing corresponding log in a certain file, and it stops just at the point this function is called. It never returns when this happens. As for my usage, I haven't found any mistakes for calling it. There are no restrictions for the usage of this fucntion call, and it happens very rarely. If my usage is wrong, this should happen now and then more frequently, right? Thank you anyway for reminding me of those cautions above.

Isn't there anybody here that knows how to deal with it? It is very urgent, and I can't wait for knowing what is the real reason. Anyboday who knows about it please tell me. Thank you in advance!

If you fully believe it is a problem with the OS and not your code, then contact Microsoft Support and open a support ticket.

If the problem is found to be 100% the fault of the OS, then there is (typically) no charge... on the other hand if it turns out you are going something wrong...

But if you REALLY need this, and it is really urgent, that is your best bet.
    TheCPUWizard is a registered trademark, all rights reserved. (If this post was helpful, please RATE it!)
    2008, 2009,2010
    In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice; in practice there is.

* Join the fight, refuse to respond to posts that contain code outside of [code] ... [/code] tags. See here for instructions
    * How NOT to post a question here
    * Of course you read this carefully before you posted
    * Need homework help? Read this first