CodeGuru Home VC++ / MFC / C++ .NET / C# Visual Basic VB Forums Developer.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Porting VC++6 programs to Visual Studio 2008

Based on what I have read it appears that VC++6 is not compatible with Vista.
    If I change to VS2008, can my VC++6 programs be ported to VS2008 easily?

Re: Porting VC++6 programs to Visual Studio 2008

That all depends... Were you VERY careful to only write Standard compliant code?

If you were, then yest it will port properly. Howver if you are like millions of programmers you did things in VC++ that you should never have done.
    TheCPUWizard is a registered trademark, all rights reserved. (If this post was helpful, please RATE it!)
    2008, 2009,2010
    In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice; in practice there is.

* Join the fight, refuse to respond to posts that contain code outside of [code] ... [/code] tags. See here for instructions
    * How NOT to post a question here
    * Of course you read this carefully before you posted
    * Need homework help? Read this first

Well that does pose a potential problem.
    I don't know if I did bad or or not.

I am not a programmer as such. I am a retired electrical engineer and have written programs in several languages, starting with Fortran IV back in 1968 and ending with VC++. I write programs nowadays for fun and to keep the brain somewhat active.

As far as I know I didn't do anything exotic and only used standard stuff but I suppose in my relative ignorance I could have written code that could be a problem.

Thanks for the reply.

Arjay is offline Moderator / EX MS MVP Power Poster

Just run the conversion wizard and try to compile it. It may not be too bad at all.

Given the additional information, I would tend to agree with Arjay.

You will almost certainly have to fix some issues, but since the programs are not "exotic" and since you were the author, fixing the issues should be fairly straight forward (using the WizarD).
    TheCPUWizard is a registered trademark, all rights reserved. (If this post was helpful, please RATE it!)
    2008, 2009,2010
    In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice; in practice there is.

* Join the fight, refuse to respond to posts that contain code outside of [code] ... [/code] tags. See here for instructions

First of all, there is just one compatibility warning when you install VC6. And I haven't seen VC6 crashes on Vista yet.
    Nope

Keep in mind that any excuse to use the latest VC compiler is always a good one.

Quote Originally Posted by DreamShore
    First of all, there is just one compatibility warning when you install VC6. And I haven't seen VC6 crashes on Vista yet.
    DreamShore - I am willing to bet that you have turned UAC off on Vista. This should NOT be done as it defeats a large part of the stability features of the OS. As a professional consultant, if I encounter a machine that has had UAC disabled, I tell the client that I will backup their data, re-sintall, and restore their data (all for a fee), or i will walk away.

However there is (almost NO reason to EVER use it).

1) As Arjay pointed out, VC++ 9.0 (10.0 is in CTP) is COMPLIANT, 6.0 is obsolete, past end-of-life support, not intended for use with Vista)

2) VC++ 9.0 (Express) is FREE. It is likely that most people (not at a company) using VC++ 6.0 are using it illegally.

3) If you MUST use VC++ 6.0 and are running Vista, it most likely means that you rwere previously using XP. This means you have a legal license to install VirtualPC and build an XP based virtual machine for running your legacy applications.
    2008, 2009,2010

Well, UAC makes my eyes hurt. That was the No.1 reason I turned it off... Or someone knows a way to stop the screen from flashing after UAC is turned on. It is not that unsafe anyway. And UAC is not that safe, at least if you missed the first chance to click "No", there might never be a second chance. And I believe a seal is just something waiting to be broken. Just something to point out. Actually if it don't hurt my eyes, I will surely turn it on.
    Nope

Quote Originally Posted by DreamShore
    Well, UAC makes my eyes hurt. That was the No.1 reason I turned it off... Or someone knows a way to stop the screen from flashing after UAC is turned on. It is not that unsafe anyway. And UAC is not that safe, at least if you missed the first chance to click "No", there might never be a second chance. And I believe a seal is just something waiting to be broken. Just something to point out. Actually if it don't hurt my eyes, I will surely turn it on.
    If you are running programs or performing tasks that require acceptance of the UAC more than a couple of times per WEEK, then it is probably a good idea to carefully review:

1) The programs you are using.
    2) The way you are "working".

I am in front of a Vista machine about 10-14 hours per day. If I get the UAC on any given day, it is suprising.
    2008, 2009,2010

Regarding the conversion Wizard - I haven't bought VS2008 yet.
    I am trying to decide if if want to go through the pain of learning yet another IDE.

My laptop will have to be replaced in a year or two and I suspect XP won't be available on the next one I get so I am looking at my options now.

I downloaded 2008 Express Edition to see what the new interface might look like, but it seems to be so limited that I am not sure I can get much of an idea of what VS2008 will be like from messing around with it.

As far as I can tell Class Wizard is not present in Express and I understand that it is not in VS2008 either. Is there something that replaces it?

MFC isn't available in the Express version, but is in the other versions.

The class wizard isn't available in the post VC6 versions, but the functionality is available, so you can do everything you did before and more.

I agree that it's a bit difficult to learn a new IDE, but once you learn the basics of creating new projects, adding variables and such, it actually is pretty easy.

The new IDE is a huge improvement over the VC6 IDE.

Thanks for the reply Arjay. I guess I will bite the bullet and get VS2008.

Even if I have trouble it's not really necessary to port my existing programs I suppose - they require no maintenance, although porting might keep them looking a little more modern.

It's not like I have a lot of demands on my time, so getting into another IDE won't be all that bad I guess. It's good to keep the mind working anyway.

If you have any "How do I do this in 2008 that I used to do in VC6" type of questions, please post them.

Smile Re: Porting VC++6 programs to Visual Studio 2008

That's very kind. Thank you.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast