CodeGuru Home VC++ / MFC / C++ .NET / C# Visual Basic VB Forums Developer.com

Writting .Net framework 1.1 Application from VS 2005 Express

Hello,
    How can I write an application for .Net framework 1.1 from Visual C# 2005 express edition. I am developing on Vista and have framwork 2.0 on it.
    Thanks,
    Ahmed
    Last edited by xs2ahmed; July 4th, 2008 at 04:20 AM.
    He is not strong and powerful, who throws people down, but he is strong who withholds himself from anger
    MyWeb

Re: Writting .Net framework 1.1 Application from VS 2005 Express

Quote Originally Posted by xs2ahmed
    Hello,
    How can I write an application for .Net framework 1.1 from Visual C# 2005 express edition.
    You cant. Install 2003 instead

ps; maybe VS2008 can create 1.1 version exes.. I've heard about it but never tried it
    "it's a fax from your dog, Mr Dansworth. It looks like your cat" - Gary Larson...DW1: Data Walkthroughs 1.1...DW2: Data Walkthroughs 2.0...DDS: The DataSet Designer Surface...ANO: ADO.NET2 Orientation...DAN: Deeper ADO.NET...DNU...PQ

No, I can not use VS 2003 because I have to use Express version (Free one) and there is no VS C# 2003 Express so I can only use VS 2005 express or 2008 express.

and I need to write application for .Net 1.1
    He is not strong and powerful, who throws people down, but he is strong who withholds himself from anger
    MyWeb

Arjay is offline Moderator / EX MS MVP Power Poster

No, I can not use VS 2003 because I have to use Express version (Free one) and there is no VS C# 2003 Express so I can only use VS 2005 express or 2008 express.

and I need to write application for .Net 1.1
    Here are your options:
    1) Use 2003 to write a 1.1 application
    2) Use 2005 to write a 2.0 application

These are not your options:
    3) Use 2003 to write a 2.0 application
    4) Use 2005 to write a 1.1 application

Remember the RUNTIME itself contains EVERYTHING you need to write managed applications, you do NOT need Visual Studio at all.

Of course writing applications using Notepad and command line tools is tedious, but it is 100% possible.

This yeilds an option of:

1) Use VS-2005 (Express) to write the application being carefuly to only use .Net 1.1 functionallity. Debug it throughly.

2) Use the .Net 1.1 runtime tools to recompile the application.
    TheCPUWizard is a registered trademark, all rights reserved. (If this post was helpful, please RATE it!)
    2008, 2009,2010
    In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice; in practice there is.

* Join the fight, refuse to respond to posts that contain code outside of [code] ... [/code] tags. See here for instructions
    * How NOT to post a question here
    * Of course you read this carefully before you posted
    * Need homework help? Read this first

Sorry to also lay an egg as well, but seriously, why do you need to write an application for .NET 1.1 ¿
    Is only .NET 1.1 installed on themachine or what ¿
    Make your life easy, and get either the .NET Framework 2.0, or .NET Framework 3.0 or 3.5 Redistributable Packages, as shown here:
    http://www.codeguru.com/forum/showpo...97&postcount=6

Quote Originally Posted by HanneSThEGreaT
    Sorry to also lay an egg as well, but seriously, why do you need to write an application for .NET 1.1 ¿
    Is only .NET 1.1 installed on themachine or what ¿
    Make your life easy, and get either the .NET Framework 2.0, or .NET Framework 3.0 or 3.5 Redistributable Packages, as shown here:
    http://www.codeguru.com/forum/showpo...97&postcount=6
    Believe it or not, there are STILL (at least as of March 2008) some IT departments that will NOT deploy .NET 2.0.

[My firm made a decision to no longer support .NET 1.1 as of Jul 1, 2007. We lost ONE client]
    TheCPUWizard is a registered trademark, all rights reserved. (If this post was helpful, please RATE it!)
    2008, 2009,2010
    In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice; in practice there is.

* Join the fight, refuse to respond to posts that contain code outside of [code] ... [/code] tags. See here for instructions

Arjay is offline Moderator / EX MS MVP Power Poster

Quote Originally Posted by TheCPUWizard
    Believe it or not, there are STILL (at least as of March 2008) some IT departments that will NOT deploy .NET 2.0.

[My firm made a decision to no longer support .NET 1.1 as of Jul 1, 2007. We lost ONE client]
    It's interesting when folks complain that Microsoft dropped support of DOS or Win9x or XP soon.

If they ever ran a business they would understand why.

Quote Originally Posted by Arjay
    It's interesting when folks complain that Microsoft dropped support of DOS or Win9x or XP soon.
    The part that gets to me is that Microsoft has been very clear about the life-cycle of all of their products. You KNOW when you first buy it the EXACT date that support will stop. So why should anyone ever be suprised..

If they ever ran a business they would understand why.
    Supporting older techologies incurrs a big cost. Ironically I make a significant percentage of my income converting some REALLY OLD (originally written in the 1970's) programs...
    2008, 2009,2010

The reason for writting 1.1 application is that the customers such as banks etc work in very restricted and secure environements, plus strict IT policies on their machine. They dont like upgrading framewoks.
    They dont even like installations, we just ship them binaries
    Thats why we dont wanna force them to upgrade their framework.
    MyWeb

Your clients are banks, and you cannot afford to buy ONE copy of VS2003 in which to compile everything? Come On! The last time we (a bank) bought some financial management software, it cost over a million euro, and that was cheap.
    "it's a fax from your dog, Mr Dansworth. It looks like your cat" - Gary Larson...DW1: Data Walkthroughs 1.1...DW2: Data Walkthroughs 2.0...DDS: The DataSet Designer Surface...ANO: ADO.NET2 Orientation...DAN: Deeper ADO.NET...DNU...PQ

Actually the company doesnt work in Microsoft solutions, the project i am assigned is not huge and entirely seperate from main development.
    anyways as a developer its not always what u want...
    MyWeb

anyways as a developer its not always what u want...
    1) What about the approach I recommended earlier???

[Drifting radically off topic......]
    2) Actually it ALWAYS is abot what you want...

If the company dictates using a language (or approach) that you dont like...you do it becuase you want to work there...or...

You need to work there because you do not have other opportunities lined up...and you want to have money to live on...

Every decision in life is based on some level on desires. Even self sacrificing actions at come level come down to the person "wanting" to do the right thing sor some (personal, religious, etc.) reason.
    2008, 2009,2010

Quote Originally Posted by TheCPUWizard
    [Drifting radically off topic......]
    I was Just responding to CJard for his comments,
    Your post makes sense thanks for that, I have also figured out that there is a power toy for VS 2005 express called MSBee which does a similar thing..
    SO I will choose either MSBee or your approach, whichever is suitable and convinient.
    Thanks for the philosphical remarks
    MyWeb